Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Another FMS with WIN98 USB port problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Another FMS with WIN98 USB port problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
cracker39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another FMS with WIN98 USB port problem

Got Vista...you know what problems there are there with running FMS. FMS aborts as soon as I start it for some reason and I got tired of trying to fix it. I made a Virtual PC hard drive. I Can't find my old XP disk, so I installed WIN 98 which I did find. I installed FMS..it runs fine, except that my E-Sky USB TX won't work. Problem is that under Analog Controllers, there are selections for None, Joystick, two Parrallel/Serial selections (16 and 32 bit), and one Serial PIC selection. There are NO USB coltrollers listed.

Remember, I'm running in Virtual PC and can see my USB floppy diskette, but can't see my USB external hard drive. I'm sure it's that the problem is with USB devices in Virtual PC, not a WIN 98 USB issue.

Does anyone have any experience with USB devices in Virtual PC? I'm still going to keep the WIN 98 on it as there some old games I have that won't run under Vista.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:11 AM
Eric Brouwer

Default RE: Another FMS with WIN98 USB port problem

To fix the problem under Vista, I found the following that worked:

Windows Vista users - FMS uses a DLL file from Windows that is no longer included with Windows Vista, which causes an error when you run FMS. The file is named D3DRM.DLL. To install this file, click here and save this file in your My Computer->C:->Windows->System folder. It is also suggested that you run FMS in Windows XP compatibility mode. To do this, right click on the FMS icon on your desktop and select "Compatibility" from the pop-up menu. Select "Windows XP Compatibility" and hit OK.

I do not have the link to the D3DRM.DLL file, but I am sure you will get it via Goolgle. If not, I can mail it to you.

Depending on the version of WIN98,, you might have problems with the USB device. WIN98 Second Edition did not have this USB issue.

To check if your WIN98 or Vista can see the interface, plug the interface into the PC, and connect it to your transmitter. Then, in Windows Control Panel, open Game controllers, and see if the interface shows up. If it does not show up under the joysticks, it means it is not working correct. Check to see if you need to turn on your transmitter, and that the transmitter is selected to PPM modulation. The interfaces does not work on PCM.

In FMS, you need to select Joystick Interface, and Map/Calibrate the interface the normal way.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 AM
cracker39

Default RE: Another FMS with WIN98 USB port problem

Thank you Eric. I have tried all that you suggested. I did download the D3DRM.DLL file and FMS still gets an error when I run it. The window for FMS opens and immediately closes and a message appears that just says "FMS.EXE HAS STOPPED WORKING". As I said before, I did have it working in Vista and now it won't run.

As for calibrating the joystick, I found that info after starting this topic. Again, I now remember doing this before, but this time, in WIN98, only my elevator and aileron sticks cause any movement to calibrate. The program apparently is stuck at half throttle as the planes will taxi and take off and I can fly them, I can't steer with the rudder or change speed. The aerobatic models will loop, but sluggishly, so I assume about half throttle is the speed.

I may end up ordering a serial cable for one of my transmitters that has a btoken antenna and isn't being used. Thanks again for the suggestions.