Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Realflight G5Coming Soon

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Realflight G5Coming Soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:31 PM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Realflight G5Coming Soon

ORIGINAL: johndou

The problem with the written word is that too many times assumptions are made about it's emotional content. Plus the fact that black humor, sarcasm and pointed remarks are too often confused as emotional content. Stop assuming and trying to read between the lines and you may find that when I point out that a piece of software has seen 15 upgrades to remove bugs and issues over a 6 month period of time - that it actually means that a piece of software has seen 15 upgrades over a 6 month period of time. That the software had numerous issues that needed to be corrected and that the company was able to correct a large amount of those issues in only 6 months. Contrary to the other responses that try to indicate that 15 upgrades over a 6 month period of time is an indicator that the software is ''great'' and that everyone should run out and buy it immediately.

Angry about a product that I bought two years ago and then recently purchased again? Ya, right ... I don't think that's a very insightful observation. More along the lines of an effort to distort what I've actually said. I won't deny that I feel angry at times. I think that's a fairly common emotion. But, let me assure you, it has nothing to do with RealFlight or KnifeEdge.

Now you seem to want to defend RealFlight and their statements about minimum requirements by saying that they don't have room on the box for a better explaination? ... did you actually write that with a straight face? RealFlight could actually state that ''Some graphical features may be disabled or diminished and not all features listed will be available with these minimums ...'' (or something like that) and it wouldn't take up any more room on the box. Or better yet, like with most software producers, they could actually list the minimum hardware requirements needed to support the software - including all of the features listed. Or list the features, under ''Optimal Requirements'', that will run only with an optimal configured machine. Instead they hide behind vague comments and over-hyped advertising. Which in turn allows them to sell more product to people with less then minimal machines and creates issues. Because, after all, who hasn't bought software with a machine that was a bit below the minimums and had that software run just fine?
I don't know if people should be running lessthan minimum and still expecting anything from the program. Also, "Minimum Requirements" (to me, at least) implies that my computer will be able to run the basic features of the program. If my computer meets the "Optimal Requirements," the program will run optimally with all features. Most other game manufacturers set "Optimum" conditions with no minimums or just "minimums" but nothing else. I've never had a program well with "Minimal Requirements". Also, a lot of those set minimums are set ridiculously high for a standard computer, and are approaching a dedicated gaming computer. Remember, Realflight has to satisfy a lot of people using very basic computers. If running terrible graphics allows my POS computer to run the best R/C physics simulator on the market....then I'll gladly run terrible graphics. All I'm saying is that nothing works perfectly every time. If KE had satisfied that demand of yours, you'd be pissed about something else. I'm just glad that RealFlight exists because as a college kid, I don't have time to fly the real things often....but I'm ALWAYS next to a computer. Plugging in my Interlink is no big deal. Plus, it's a great way to relieve stress. just be thankful for what's there.

Oh, and not splitting hairs......but G5 does EXACTLY what it advertises on crappy computers. It says that you CAN do certain things with certain machines....and on other machines it does less, a fact that it DOES advertise. So, determine how crappy your computer is and then either get a better one or deal with less features.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM
dbcisco
Banned

My only issue with the min. reqs. is that when someone who has a bona fide "meets the min. req. " system and them post that they have a problem other than graphical. It is then that certain people start claiming that it somehow doesn't meet the advertised (by KE and RF) min. req. That is just avoiding the fact that people with genuine above min. req. systems are have problems other than disabled graphics features. Those same protectors of the holy software go out of their way to explain why min. req. aren't min. req. and how not running, no sound, no multi player etc. is a disabled graphical feature. If it weren't for the fact that people have spent a lot of money and not have a good program (for them) following the min. req. then this would be a comedy script.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 PM
dbcisco
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: victorzamora

Oh, and not splitting hairs......but G5 does EXACTLY what it advertises on crappy computers. It says that you CAN do certain things with certain machines....and on other machines it does less, a fact that it DOES advertise. So, determine how crappy your computer is and then either get a better one or deal with less features....
Any reason you need to bash peoples computers? All the min. req. disclaimer says is some graphical features will be disabled. I have not read anywhere that anyone with a low end system is complaining about the reduced graphics. They are having other problems and complaints.

If you don't have Ferrari then you have a crappy car and if you have an accident it is surely all your fault. Yeah, that makes as much sense as your statement.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 AM
r1derbike

Blather; ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

Transparent rhetoric.

Obsessive minutiae.

So little said above, so much real estate covered.

You and your alter egos know whom you are...frankly, the gig is up.

G5 works for the vast majority of people. If it doesn't for some, help is available. Who knew?

Charles
Old 11-19-2009, 09:10 AM
victorzamora

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

ORIGINAL: victorzamora
Oh, and not splitting hairs......but G5 does EXACTLY what it advertises on crappy computers. It says that you CAN do certain things with certain machines....and on other machines it does less, a fact that it DOES advertise. So, determine how crappy your computer is and then either get a better one or deal with less features....
Any reason you need to bash peoples computers? All the min. req. disclaimer says is some graphical features will be disabled. I have not read anywhere that anyone with a low end system is complaining about the reduced graphics. They are having other problems and complaints.

If you don't have Ferrari then you have a crappy car and if you have an accident it is surely all your fault. Yeah, that makes as much sense as your statement.

No, your car parallel is inaccurate as to what I was saying. If you want to draw a parallel with cars, then think of it this way. The Nürburgring Nordschleife in Germany has advertised times that unmodified street-legal production cars can make it around the track in as little as 6:48 (6 minutes, 48 seconds). Now, if there is a user error....you're not going to get that kind of performance. However, you're expecting your E-350 to make it in the same time (undoubtedly with some operator error).

The world of PC Gaming is like the world of performance cars. It's likely that unless you're heavily into cars, you're not going to have a "performance car" in the same way that a non-gamer that only uses his bare-minimum computer for Word Processing and RCU is going to have a computer able to run a top-of-the-line physics engine and simulator. RealFlight has to provide the top-end capabilities that we all expect (I mean, utmost realism is what you're looking for...right?) to people with computers that wouldn't be able to handle the whole thing. So they carved out certain sections of the track so that your E-350 (a great, wonderful, and useful vehicle....but not high performance by any means) can go around the Nurburgrin in 6:48 as well....even if you don't get to see all of the pretty scenery.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:15 PM
dbcisco
Banned

I am still waiting on an answer as too how non-graphical issues on computers which meet the min. req. (even "crappy" ones) is "implied" by the disabled graphical features disclaimer. If you say it will do everything except look pretty on a Pentium III with a 32Mb directx9 3d video card then it better do so. If it doesn't, then fix it before selling it, admit after selling it or change the listed min. req. To do otherwise is dishonest.

The minimums are posted on KE's site for G4.5 (not G5, yet). Thus they are explicitly standing by them. It does not matter whose dictum they are. The Nuremburg defense doesn't cut it.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:03 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi R1derbike....

Yup, what you said!!! [&:]

Old 11-19-2009, 08:43 PM
r1derbike

N1EDM, de KG5JJ 73!

Time to fly G5! Still working just fine!

Charles
Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: r1derbike
... You and your alter egos know whom you are...frankly, the gig is up....
Charles
Could you explain this? Sounds like the "misinformation" that is being spread on the KE Forums. BTW, I had only one other username on KE which I created to try and address the slander about me over there. Banned and deleted within minutes for no reason. I have only one user name here, anyone claiming otherwise is either deluded or IMHO a KE lacky.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:34 PM
johndou

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Rats!! I ordered RF on Sept 29 (didn't receive it till yesterday, Oct 5)!! I wonder if they'll cut me a little slack???

Bob
By the way, did RF "cut you some slack" on your upgrade? How are the graphics on your duo core "recent" machine? Have you tried multiplayer yet?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 PM
N1EDM

Hi Johndou,

I had sent an email in to RF but got no response... So, I decided to bite the bullet and sent in my CC info. When I received G5, they must have had my original msg stashed somewhere, I dunno, but they did not charge me. I was able to get it as a 'Customer Service', most likely because I happened to fall into that special case. That was great of them to do that.

G5 runs beautifully on my machine. I've loaded the five Add-On files, and they work great. I even have a couple of the Expansion Packs loaded and so far I have not had a single glitch. The graphics are great (I haven't tweaked them up or down, they're 'stock', as installed). G5 works beautifully on my machine.

As for Multiplayer, I can't get through the firewall on my Router. I haven't tried to reconfigure it yet, so I can't comment on multiplayer.

For those of you who have made this configuration through the router, if I allow RF G5 to work through the two recommended ports, does this present a Security issue? Or does it only allow RF G5 to operate through there?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM
dbcisco
Banned

The port used and the program being unknown by most hackers would indicate that it isn't going to be a big threat. However, leaving any port open is a "potential" threat. I wouldn't worry about it. I would worry more about well known ports that major games require opened up as a real security threat.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, dbcisco... to me that means that I manually open and close them any time I want to play on line... not a big deal.

And granted, there won't be a lot of people looking for RealFlight itself, but as hackers get better, it could get tougher to protect. I'll just open and close them as needed... now I just have to do it for the first time.

Bob
Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 PM
dbcisco
Banned

The thing to remember about security is that it will never keep determined hackers out of any system. Even the CIA got hacked by "harmless" amateurs a few years ago.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 AM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am disappointed !! Just recieved the G-5 program yesterday, 'puter said succesfully loaded cd and then requested the serial numbers to register the program.
I did this and clicked onto register, and NOTHING happens. I rechecked my numbers and rentered the numbers, NOTHING. The "click" icon is "shadowed", like it visually is not active.
I then erase G-5 program and reload it, again says "successfully completed" loading program, then jump through installing the "numbers" again and "click" onto the "click" icon. STILL NOTHING.
So, then I call the "help" number CLOSED UNTIL MONDAY. How do they (G-5 people) expect working people to call during the day to get help.
You would think they would get the "bugs" out with the 5th generation of this flight program out by now, especially to just to register the program !
So, I guess I'll HAVE TO GO TO THE SHOP AND BUILD AIRPLANES !
Old 11-21-2009, 11:09 AM
dbcisco
Banned

Make sure that you are putting in an "I" not a "1" for the two digit part f the interlink serial number.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Silver182

The RF / kniftedge software code is secure to be sure...so much so... many times during upgrade loads or new loads the software won't run. Have fun trying to get a hold of anyone that will help. Shoot I called them one time and they told me my key code was not original product..I was reading the key from a boxed new version. It is obvious they want you to purchase new not upgrade versions...notice how the old & the new will not mix! The product is OK but the code writers are way to nervous!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: Silver182

The RF / kniftedge software code is secure to be sure...so much so... many times during upgrade loads or new loads the software won't run. Have fun trying to get a hold of anyone that will help. Shoot I called them one time and they told me my key code was not original product..I was reading the key from a boxed new version. It is obvious they want you to purchase new not upgrade versions...notice how the old & the new will not mix! The product is OK but the code writers are way to nervous!
Never attribute to malice that which can be easily explained by ignorance.
I don't trust K.E. ET AL, I but I doubt they would do this blatant and easily provable illegal activity.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:11 PM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

DBCISCO:

MY BAD !! Right after I posted, I notice a paper saying contact www.realflight.com for probs, and the second question that came up was exactly what you indicated. So I "subbed" the letter for the 1 and it took it !!

So far the system works YaY !! A little slow for my stick movements not bad though, much better that my old Dave Brown 1991 simulator !

Thanks DBCISCO for the suggestion. Now I've got to out to the shop rather than wastin' time on the G-5 for now
Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Silver182

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

Never attribute to malice that which can be easily explained by ignorance.
I don't trust K.E. ET AL, I but I doubt they would do this blatant and easily provable illegal activity.
Not sure about anything illegal about writing code that requires the users to continually purchase new product / equipment. Along those lines could someone tell me if we get the upgrade to G5 buy just purchasing expansion pack 6? I have 4.5 running fine..and would like to update the software to G5 including all old airports & aircraft 1>5. Looks to me like pack 6 should do it.
Or is knifedge up to their same old tricks?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 AM
dbcisco
Banned

It is illegal to sell software and then tell then refuse promised services alleging that the software you sold them is stolen. I have never heard of RF doing this.
Their way of registering the product to an owner even after that owner has sold the software and interlink has caused many a wasted C-note. Owning the original disks and interlink makes you the owner in most states' laws but not according to RF.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:39 AM
johndou

Not sure about anything illegal about writing code that requires the users to continually purchase new product / equipment. Along those lines could someone tell me if we get the upgrade to G5 buy just purchasing expansion pack 6? I have 4.5 running fine..and would like to update the software to G5 including all old airports & aircraft 1>5. Looks to me like pack 6 should do it.
Or is knifedge up to their same old tricks?

One of my major complaints about RealFlight "requires the users to continually purchase new product / equipment." People owning RealFlight G4.0 can not join a multiplayer session with someone who owns G3.5 or G4.5 or even G4.0.023. You have to have the EXACT same version even down to the latest version/bug fix. You also have to have the same Expasion Pack containing the same planes, etc. in order to see those features in Multiplayer. So, if your buddy decides to fly a plane from expansion pack 3 and you don't have expansion pack 3 then you see a Nexstar ... or if he decided to fly at an airport that you don't have then you don't see the features of that airport

I do not believe that Expansion Pack 6 will upgrade G4.5 to G5.0. The only way I know of to upgrade is to spend the $80.00 for the upgrade. Reading through the features on Expansion Pack 6 I don't see anything about an upgrade other then the ability to upgrade G4.0 to G4.5.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: johndou

One of my major complaints about RealFlight ''requires the users to continually purchase new product / equipment.'' People owning RealFlight G4.0 can not join a multiplayer session with someone who owns G3.5 or G4.5 or even G4.0.023. You have to have the EXACT same version even down to the latest version/bug fix. You also have to have the same Expasion Pack containing the same planes, etc. in order to see those features in Multiplayer. So, if your buddy decides to fly a plane from expansion pack 3 and you don't have expansion pack 3 then you see a Nexstar ... or if he decided to fly at an airport that you don't have then you don't see the features of that airport
That's almost exactly the same with many online simulations.

For example, racing sims since NASCAR 1998 to N2003, GTR, GTR2, GTREvolution, RaceOn have offer(ed) online racing. You go online and pick out a race to enter to run against humans. None of them would allow anyone into the online races unless they had the same patch to the version being run. There were patches released every couple of weeks with some of them, and if you didn't have your version patched the same as the one on the server online, you didn't get into the sucker. Forget about even seeing the list of races for other than your version.

Also, the very few that allowed cars with special paint jobs wouldn't show them unless both the server and the users had installed the file of the car with the special paint. That wasn't even close to allowing different cars. It's like not being able to see a Nexstar with different paint, not even close to an entirely different airplane from a different EP. RF allows quite a bit more flexibility.

Comparing RF to racing sims that have many more years of development, RF actually looks equal or better in terms of capability.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:31 PM
dbcisco
Banned

I agree DaRock. The only on-line games that come close to what was wanted are pay per month games like World of Warcraft and that is only cost effective because of many millions of subscribers. For any of our sims to pay for that R&D would be an initial outlay of a few thousand for the program and a monthly charge of few hundred. I can not fault RF for not doing a "complete" on-line play. Interplay within versions is doable if everyone does the updates (which they should).
Old 11-24-2009, 11:24 AM
johndou

I don't disagree that RealFlight's multiplayer sessions requireing the same patch/version to see everything the host or other players have is anything other then the "norm". My point is that the vast majority of people who buy RealFlight are not aware of these types of issues.

Mainly because the vast majority of people who buy RealFlight are R/C Enthusiasts and not computer geeks. Sure computer gamers have the knowledge about 3D graphics cards, minimum requirements, etc. But, that's not the majority of people who buy R/C simulators. You see it all the time, "Why can't I see the same multiplayer sessions as my friend? We both have RealFlight ..." Or, why is my sim so 'jerky'...?" or "Why do I not have shadows" etc. , etc.

This forum is where the average "R/C Enthusiasts" come to ask questions about R/C sims ... not about the latest in computer gaming technology. Or duo core machines versus quad core ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.