Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

can I use a Joystick with realflight G-5

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

can I use a Joystick with realflight G-5

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:22 AM
nekked_man_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I use a Joystick with realflight G-5

I'm thinking of purchasing G5 but my 6 year old will want to play with it. While he can do a little rc flying, when he plays with the sims on the computer he goes to video game mode. He gets excited and jumps around, and just generally doesn't pay attention, and he's likely to break the controller at some point. He'll be just as happy with one of the little dual stick USB game controllers, and we already have one of those, but can it be used with the SIM? $200 dollars is a lot to pay for something that I'm only going to use ocassionally and the kids can't play unless I'm sitting there whatching.

Austin
Old 03-14-2010, 03:22 PM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: can I use a Joystick with realflight G-5

I have a buddy that used the esky controller on his g3 sim... i dont think they changed the software.
dan
Old 03-14-2010, 05:11 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all the RealFlight versions, the controller you buy with the software is the copyright protection.

It must be plugged into your pc if you wish the sim to launch.

It does accept transmitters to be plugged into it, and you might consider that as an option if you have a cheap TX to use. Other than an arrangement that uses something plugged into the controller, any discussion or description of ways to get around that are not allowed here.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:50 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Get the kids FMS (free) and use any controller or joystick you want.

Download it here: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9558493/tm.htm]FMS w/500 aircraft[/link]
My own files...no viruses to worry about.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM
nekked_man_2000

It does accept transmitters to be plugged into it, and you might consider that as an option if you have a cheap TX to use. Other than an arrangement that uses something plugged into the controller, any discussion or description of ways to get around that are not allowed here.
ok, but I'm not trying to get around anything, $200 is a big investment for me. I don't think you can plug another transmitter into the one that comes with Realflight Basic, that's the reason I'm considering the Full blown version. But either way, when my son gets into a situation, he want's to push the sticks just a little further...snap. Will my old AM Fuaba Attack radio work as a trainer box with this? Other than those I don't really have anything besides my radio I fly with.

As for the FMS, I did have that on the old computer for him to play with, but unfortunatley it doesn't work with Vista...and my XP machine is broke...and I don't feel like spending money to fix it just for this. I've never been able to get Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator to work on the Vista machines either.

I've played with the sims at the Hobby shop, and for just me, I don't think they are worth it. The controls are the same, but they don't fly "real" to me. I've never even tried to fly a helicopter, but I can fly them pretty well on the sims at the hobby shop. And I'm not a 3D pilot, But I can do a pretty decent hover on the flight sims. In real life I'm more of old school "Hot Dogger", I like a good Kaos or Hots, and lots of overpowered .20 size warbirds.

Austin

Austin
Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 PM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: nekked_man_2000
As for the FMS, I did have that on the old computer for him to play with, but unfortunatley it doesn't work with Vista...
The DLL file I have a link to above is what is needed for some installations of XP, Vista and Win7. It needs to be copied into the /windows/system32 folder.
BTW it fixes lots of other Directx problems in Vista,XP and Win7.