Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

methanol and alcohol

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default methanol and alcohol

whats the difference between methanol and alcohol?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: methanol and alcohol

methanol (more specific term) is an alcohol (more general term)
Old 03-30-2011, 03:58 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Methanol (CH3OH) is an alcohol. It is the most simple of the alcohols with 1 CH3 group and is poisonous to humans. It is also called wood alcohol. Ethanol (CH3CH2OH) is the drinking type of alcohol. Denatured alcohol is ethanol with methanol mixed in it, too. That also is poisonous. Glow fuel is methanol with some percentage (0-20%) oil added plus 0-20% nitromethane.

From an organic chemistry point of view, an alcohol has a -OH hydroxy radical attached at the end of a strong of hydrogen saturated carbons.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 PM
WhiteRook

with that being said , can you run denatured alcohol in a glow engine?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:09 AM
ggraham500

No, denatured alcohol is predominantly ethanol with enough methanol (typically 10%) to make it non-consumable for drinking by humans (poisonous). Ethanol does not have enough energy to fire off in an engine. Remember also, that your glow plug has a platinum coil in it. That is what glows. One of the properties of platinum it that is will continue to glow in the presence of methanol. That why you don't need an ignition on a glow engine.

The downside to methanol mixes for model engines is the expense (and mess) of methanol/oil/nitromethane mixture (about $18-$26 per gal). That's why so many people switch to gas engines (gas around $3.40 per gallon presently).

That help?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:02 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is not true.

An engine will run on ethanol, even as low as 80% (medicinal) with rest water. The platinum element will stay lit. Been there, done that with CL engines.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:09 AM
ggraham500

Well, I am not going to argue with PE, but I would never use water in any fuel.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 AM
pe reivers

Why would you not use it?

We have experimented with fresh methanol fuel and 10% water added. It very effectively avoided prop throwing of YS engines. Use this fuel the same day.

The Germans used MW80 mix  (80% methanol, 20% water) for war emergency power at high altitude in their WW2 fighters. This allowed them to run full boost pressures , which otherwise would blow the engines apart.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Jezmo

As an experiment, I have run store bought denatured alcohol in a SuperTigre G51. At a mix of 82% fuel to 18% oil the only thing I had to do to get a reliable idle was switch to an OS A3 plug. It didn't make the same power (it was down about 5 or 6%) and the needles were more sensitive but it ran great.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM
pe reivers

Same as my experience.
Mind you, the denaturated (rubbing) alcohol is 80%/20%  alcohol/water!, and of the alcohol fraction, at least 95% is ethanol, but more likely 98%, with rest methanol.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:28 PM
WhiteRook

so j mo , thats about 0ne quart oil to a gallon of denatured alcohol?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

In the U.S., what is sold as "rubbing alcohol" is isopropyl alcohol. It is available in drug stores in 80% and 92% concentrations. It is great for cleaning flux off solder joints, thinning epoxy and many other uses, and is not as toxic as methanol. I have not tried it as a fuel.

Edit: 1QwkSport2.5r is correct. The concentrations available around here are also 91% and 70%. My mistake.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

In the U.S., what is sold as ''rubbing alcohol'' is isopropyl alcohol. It is available in drug stores in 80% and 92% concentrations. It is great for cleaning flux off solder joints, thinning epoxy and many other uses, and is not as toxic as methanol. I have not tried it as a fuel.
Around my part of town I see 70% and 91% rubbing alcohol which is indeed isopropyl. Unsure if it would run well in a glow engine or not, but I'd be willing to try it to see. The denatured alcohol I have is about 85-90% ethanol with 10-15% methanol. Many people have ran ethanol in glow engines with success, however a hotter glow plug is required and power will be down as has been said previously.

Any kind of alcohol other than methanol will most likely run fine, but the needles will be more sensitive and will require a hot or very hot glow plug.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:07 AM
pe reivers

This is the stuff I have used, as well as medicinal ethanol. Both work OK
nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandspiritus

Compare this with rubbing alcohol, which can be both ethanol or isopropyl alcohol
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol
Old 04-02-2011, 04:25 AM
latinRClover

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

We have experimented with fresh methanol fuel and 10% water added. It very effectively avoided prop throwing of YS engines. Use this fuel the same day.

The Germans used MW80 mix (80% methanol, 20% water) for war emergency power at high altitude in their WW2 fighters. This allowed them to run full boost pressures , which otherwise would blow the engines apart.
True, even Maynard Hill did experiments in the late sixties with water in glow fuel as the most effective cooling agent . The only problem was idle and castor oil mixability, fuel became more an emulsion than a mix...
Moreover, isopropyl alcool was used in glow fuels as a way to reduce consumption in old C/L class B team racers with .29 glow engines
Not to remember the recent OS bioethanol line ..
Old 04-02-2011, 05:39 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

ORIGINAL: latinRClover

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

The Germans used MW80 mix (80% methanol, 20% water) for war emergency power at high altitude in their WW2 fighters. This allowed them to run full boost pressures , which otherwise would blow the engines apart.
True, even Maynard Hill did experiments in the late sixties with water in glow fuel as the most effective cooling agent . The only problem was idle and castor oil mixability, fuel became more an emulsion than a mix...
Moreover, isopropyl alcool was used in glow fuels as a way to reduce consumption in old C/L class B team racers with .29 glow engines
Not to remember the recent OS bioethanol line ..
Do the same principles apply for running Isopropyl and denatured alcohol as running ethanol?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:29 AM
pe reivers

try it. I do not know, because I never used it.