Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Windshield washerpump ?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:14 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windshield washerpump ?

there is alcohol in windshield washer fluid
Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Bobhend

I have heard that the kit for the 2000 will work on the Boxxer, just uses shorter length of the tubing. That tubing is thin-wall silicone rubber and not readily available. Thanks for finding those kits, I know a guy that needs one. Ron's has good inventory, nice. As for Slimline, let us know the story when you get them on the phone. I suspect they are re-grouping to launch the online store.

Not much here on the Sullivan pumps. I have 3 and only one is not leaking. Even that one leaked once, then it stopped leaking. I don't reccomend these !!
You're correct, the SL-2000 maintenance kit will work fine on the Boxxer. It is (as you stated) just a longer length of tubing and the o-ring for the top of the fuel jug. I'm not sure it's considred thin walled, but it is more pliable than something like Prather or the old Aerotrend blue fuel tubing. I've never been able to confim this, but I have a hunch the fuel tubing Slimline uses may come from Sullivan.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:12 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike31

there is alcohol in windshield washer fluid
It's not only alcohol, but "methanol" alcohol.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Methanol vapor is is harmful when breathed in so ethanol is more popular now.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:33 PM
dadragon

I was on Dreamwerks and they carry Jersy modler pumps,I have a hand crank pump that I added an 18 volt drill that works on gas,glow,karosine,and smoke and have had no problems with it.had it since 1998.It is worth $20.00 to me.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Bobhend
My Feedback: (1)

Checked out Jersey Modeler, yeah a lot of good fueling systems and pumps, thanks. http://www.jerseymodeler.com/id29.html

I checked two jugs of windshield fluid and they were both methanol, the Rain-X said it was 35% methanol. We are in cold country in upstate NY and we need it to work well. Still, the government may be planning to ram ethanol down our throats but it is looking like bad timing. I am hoping due to the drought they will take at least some of the ethanol out of the gasoline.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM
dszabo2

Status Update !

I have been using the WW pump for 3 months now and this past week end I noticed a leak out the back side of the motor. So much for the autozone univeral pump, at least the slimline lasted a couple of years !!!

Dave
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Bobhend

Thanks for the update. I upgraded my 4S and 2S fueling systems with Slimline PRO CAP fuel jug caps and went back to a maunual pump one one. These caps are expensive but they completly seal the jug. The fuel jugs can be seen collapsing when the air pressure goes up. Chief Aircraft and probably others have Slimline fuel parts in stock. If I had to get an electric pump I would use the Hobbico Top Fueler MK III.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ace Dude

Why would you use expensive ethanol? The methanol is a low percentage and more biodegradeable than ethanol. Yes it is toxic, but so is the gasoline in your tank. So all are methanol.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Ace Dude

Why would you use expensive ethanol? The methanol is a low percentage and more biodegradeable than ethanol. Yes it is toxic, but so is the gasoline in your tank. So all are methanol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshield_washer_fluid

Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 PM
gene737

When I first started flying RC, my mentor at the time was using a junkyard WW pump from a Chrysler, if I can remember. That damn thing ran and ran like a champ and pumped more glo-fuel than I care to talk about. He has since passed, but I think that pump is still pissin' glo-fuel somewhere.

I have been through 3 pumps in the last 6 years and am ready to make a visit to the local junk yard in search of several WW pumps. One to run, one for backup, and one for back back up.

Good luck in your search.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:41 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

FWIW, I have been using the same slimline "boxer" for years, 6 or 7 at least. I had to open it up once to clean some "crud" off the rollers but that was it.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went back to a big fuel bulb.  I had two bad electric ones and could see the writing on the wall.  I tried a primer bulb for a snowmobile for a while, but it seemed to suck the fuel out of the gallon can kind of slow.  I get about 4 oz. out of a squeeze on the big bulb.  I also considered pressurising the fuel can with a cheap (sorry, inexpensive) one way checkvalve type bulb made for blowing air/cleaning.  It looks somewhat like the snowmobile primer but has a smaller tip that fits fuel tubing better.  It wouldn't have the fuel actually going through it so it may last better.  I could see problems with too much pressure, and needing to bleed the pressure.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:53 PM
abelard

Not so. All WW fluids I know of are methanol-based. Some also have butoxyethanol.

You can find the contents of all manner of household products, including just about everything that goes into cars, here:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm
Old 11-25-2012, 02:13 PM
abelard

On a related note: I'm planning to put together a nice rollaround fueling/starting station over the winter, and I'd like to have it offer two or three different glow fuels (e.g., 2S/4S/Heli), selectable by a valve connecting the jugs to the pump. But where to get the valve?

There are "Y" valves meant for garden hoses, but of course those are enormous compared to the size of model fuel tubing. There are also valves meant for natural gas, but those are simple on/off valves that would have to be ganged to a manifold, making the installation both cumbersome and big, and they still need a lot of size adaptation. Even with the necessary adapters, the volume of fuel left in the valve cavities after a fuel switch would be enough to mix the fuels significantly.

There are various valves meant for actual fuel tank selection on the auto market, but those are big-buck items.

Finally, there are some valves on industrial websites that look attractive, but they're invariably priced as "Call For Quote", which is marketing talk for "How many boxcar loads do you want?"

Does anyone know of a source that will work?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM
dszabo2

Try any laboratory supply house such as cole-parmer. They have many different types along with material compataiblity charts.

Dave
Old 11-25-2012, 03:57 PM
abelard

Thanks...I think one of their valves will do the trick.