Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Adding castor oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding castor oil

I have Cool Power 10% and my thread from the other forum said ABC engines need some castor oil. Can I buy some castor oils and mix it with the fuel. I have the fuel in the 1 gallon jug and so far only 20 oz has been used. If i can mix some castor oil then how much oil do i put into the jug. The label said that the fuel contain some rust inhibitor and after run oils should not be used... well I didnt read the label so I did put some after run oil in so would that damage anything? How do you prepare the engine for storage after a day of flying? All I did was pull of the fuel line and let the engien run itself dry, but when i opened the backplate I saw specs of rust on the crankshaft. Whats goin on, I thought the fuel protected the engine from rust. And that was its first run out of the box too.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Adding castor oil

If I'm correctly informed the Coolpower fuel contains 17% synthetic lubricants.
If this is the case I can see no reason why it shouldn't work for ABC-engines.
All my engines (mostly OS, Saito and Super Tigre) are run on fuel containing 15% synthetic lubricant (Aerosynth) and no castor oil.
The exception is the ST 3000 which use only 10% oil. I have done so for the last couple of years and have had no problems whatsoever.
You can mix some castor oil in your fuel as a protection against lean running or if you suspect that your engines will operate at high temperatures (e.g. tightly cowled engines).
Do use some kind of after-run oil to protect the ball bearings against corrosion.
If you send me your e-mail adress I can send you a fuel mixing spreadsheet (MS Excel) that I ise myself when mixing fuel.

/Red B.