Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

methanol quality..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 01:32 AM
canardlover

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default methanol quality..?

Our club is about to change supplier of methanol and being a chemist I was asked about relevant specifications before we decide on the new supplier. I suggested that we aim for a product not less than 99% pure and that water is probably the most critical impurity. Any viewpoints on the above suggestion..? and if I have missed any relevant thread(s) in my RCU searches please direct me...Thank you..!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: methanol quality..?

Check this site and roll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_f...1823#specialty
Old 08-03-2004, 04:40 PM
canardlover

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Sport_Pilot, that is what we chemists would call p.a. (pro analysis) quality but I assume our club members are NOT prepared to pay the price for such a high purity methanol. More viewpoints..??
Old 08-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like, what is the price? What do you think model airplane fuel manufacturers pay for methanol? VP Racing has done quite a bit of research on model airplane fuels. I'd suggest giving them a call. We visited their San Antonio operation and they were quite friendly and open with us.

Jim
Old 08-04-2004, 07:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that this is pa quality. I know for a fact that their fuel contains a small amount of other alcohols. Since they also burn they are not considering them impurities. But they would be if this was methanol for a lab.