Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

Best fuel brand and mixture for cool ops: 2 stroke

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Best fuel brand and mixture for cool ops: 2 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:18 PM
jigeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best fuel brand and mixture for cool ops: 2 stroke

I have a Tower Hobbies .75 ABC engine that runs really well, however, when the cowl is on the engine overheats.
Yes, it's tuned right and the cowl is plenty big on the entry/exit.
Running a 14X4W APC and a Fox long glow plug.
I was told to try an OS #8 which is a good idea.
My question relates to which brands are better for cooling. I'm currently running Byron 10 percent nitro and 18 percent oil.
I was told Byron is junk but you hear a lot of false info.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM
YUKONFLYR

Default RE: Best fuel brand and mixture for cool ops: 2 stroke

Hi Jigeye - if your engine runs great with the cowl off and overheats with it on, would it not be that there is not enough airflow for the engine, for cooling effect?

I have run Byrons and most brands, fuel has a cooling effect but not as much as airflow across the cylinder head. Ducted Fan units have a massive head to get rid of the heat. Is your cylinder head sticking out in the wind?

Does it overheat even run rich?

I have never noticed which fuels cool better than others. About all the same given the same oil content and methanol content.

I would look towards that cowl first

Richard

Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
ekitik
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Best fuel brand and mixture for cool ops: 2 stroke

You may have over looked this one thing here, if you did not please excuse me.

The opening for the front of the cowl right were the engine fins are should be 1/2 to 1/3 of the exit opening of the cowl.

I was surprised to learn this when i was building my plane. But there is a lower presure for the air to pass through with a larger exit than the opening.

Close up as much of the openings in the front of the cowl as possible and only leave the one in front of the engine keeping the formula above in mind.

This will work

Eric