Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

synthetics

Old 05-28-2003, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetics

Has anyone used Shell Advance Racing M its a synthetic/castor mix that is diolved in methanol/alcohol??? Or is there another commonly available synthetic oil (mobil, bp)etc coolpower seems awfully expensive (its for a YS .63)
Old 05-28-2003, 03:46 AM

Default synthetics

I haven't come across any synthetics from Shell, BP, Caltex or others except for one called Castrol MSRS (I think) which is a synthetic gear oil but unfortunately it's only available in New Zealand last I heard. Be worth trying that Advance Racing M though if it's supposed to mix with methanol.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:19 AM

Default synthetics

the jet oil u use it doesnt say anything on their website about it being able to be disolved with methanol..... are u having good luck with it??? this is for a YS 4 stroke i was thinking either morgans coolpower or motul micro (can get it sent from france relitives....)
how are u gettting ur mehanol downunder i called BP and they said i have to order it through a servo and Shell aviation hasnt been to helpful are u buying it from an airport? and what price per litre are u getting it thanks
WIll
Old 05-28-2003, 04:31 PM

Default synthetics

There are Shell and Caltex fuel depots close to me...I think they mainly supply the trucking industry but both of them have methanol in stock all the time. Shell aviation would be unlikely to have it though. Try asking at a Go Kart shop or a speed shop that deals with drag racers, they might be able to put you on to a supplier.

The Mobil Jet Oil 2 works very well but they've now got a third generation variant that won't mix with methanol. It's got a heavy brown dye in it that can stain but BP 2380 turbine oil is supposed to be clear (I haven't seen it but I know of some who use it). There wouldn't be anything on their web sites about mixing with methanol because it's only made for use in gas turbines. However, it's the only synthetic I know of that's got a higher flash point than castor and because it also lubes the gear boxes it's an extreme pressure oil.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:32 PM

Default synthetics

so BP 2380 turbine oil is the oil u have to use since mobil changed their formula...?

U didnt mention the price for the methanol u are getting?

how much for the oil too?

a mates mate skims the tanks for quantas (pure methanol) its free would u use it in a premium engine like the YS ?
Old 05-29-2003, 01:14 AM

Default synthetics

Sorry Yogi, I forgot to mention the price. In bulk from Caltex with my own drum the methanol is a bit over $1 per litre (I think my last one was about $1.20). Shell is a bit more expensive because they'll only sell in their own 20 litre drums.

Mobil have both the second and third generation oils still. I've never seen the latest one but I'd assume it's labelled as 3rd generation. A guy tried it and wrote to me telling me it wouldn't mix. One of our club members sells the Jet Oil for around $18 per litre.

That's interesting about the methanol being used to clean out the Quantas tanks. It could only be used to remove any moisture from the tank and I suspect it'd be the normal methanol like I buy. Sure worth a try!