Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Os .46 La

Old 06-16-2003, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Os .46 La

I am going to get an OS .46 LA engine for my Avistar. What kind of fuel should I use for it?
Old 06-16-2003, 03:48 AM

Default Os .46 La

If you want it to last a very long time then use 22% all castor. This is for proper lubrication of the plain bearing. Nitro content is up to you but 5% should be sufficient.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:45 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default Os .46 La

I have run a lot of 46LA's. I also work on them. DOWNUNDER is correct. You need mostly castor oil to get good life out of these engines. I have found that SIG 5%NITRO-20%CASTOR with 4 ounces of KLOTZ added per gallon makes a good fuel. This gives 23% total oil. The KLOTZ seems to keep the engine cleaner inside. Never run the engine too lean. Always back it off rich a few hundred RPM. I think that the engines with peeled nickle liners are usually abused by being set too lean without enough oil. This is my two-bits worth.

Regards, Duane