Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

DO STRAIN ALL YOUR FUEL

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 03:31 PM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO STRAIN ALL YOUR FUEL

HI SOMETHING VERY OFTEN OVERLOOKED- DO STRAIN ALL YOUR FUELFOUND IT BEST TO USE A FINE METAL STRAINNER FOR THE JOBJUST STRAINNED 3 GALLONS OF MORGAN OMEGA-THE BOTTOM OF THE STAINNER HAD A LOT OF PINK FUZZY STUFF AND SOME BLACK PARTICALS IN IT I ALWAYS HAVE A FUEL FILTER IN MY FUEL JUG SUPPLY LINE- AND I HAVE A FUEL FILTER BEFORE MY CARBI KNOW IT IS OVERKILL-BUT DIRT IN A CARB CAN KILL A GOOD AIRPLANE IF YOUR DEAD STICK LANDING IS GOD KNOWS WERE OR YOU CRASH BADLYNOT TO MENTION TRYING TO FIND IT (HEY I TOLD YOU NOT TO METION THAT !!!! )
BEEN FLYING 26 YEARSNEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH FUEL GOING BAD- ( GLO FUEL ) I THINK IT IS BECAUSE I ALWAYS KEEP THE RED STOPPED IN THE JUG AFTER EVERY USE AND DO FUEL BEHIND THE FUEL FILTER IF YOU USE ONE ON THE CARBSO THE DABRIE FROM THE TANK WILL GET CAUGHT IN THE FILTERI LIKE THE KIND OF FILTERS YOU CAN SEE INTO
IF YOU ARE NOT A FUEL FILTER FANTRY USING IT ONLY FOR THE FIRST FEW FLIGHT ON A NEW PLANE- WITH A NEW TANK - THE FUEL FILTER DOES NOT GET DIRTY OFTEN -ONLY ONCE IN A WHILE AS A RULE-IF THE JUNK GETS INTO YOUR CARB YOU START HAVING PERFORMANCE ISSUES AND MAY HAVE TO PULL THE CARB TO CLEAN IT OUTA BIGGER HEADACHE THAN IT NEEDS TO BE
IF YOU USE A FUEL TANK TO CATCH YOUR FUEL WHEN YOU FILL UPBE SURE THAT TANK IS IN GOOD CLEAN CONDITION
ALL THE ABOVE CAN SAVE A GOOD FLYING -VERY LOVED AIRPLANE FROM DISASTER A WORD TO THE WISE REGARDS TONY
Old 09-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: DO STRAIN ALL YOUR FUEL

http://www.pspmfg.com/FuelJugCap.html

This is my only fuel filter and WildCat Premium Extra with 18% 80/20 blend is my only fuel is my only fuel. Any filter that you put on the plane will bite you on the butt eventually.

The stainless steel filter hangs in the bottom of the jug.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:15 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

I depend on the strainer in the filler nozzle, that catches the crud from the biggest culprit, the common gear type fuel pump.
(that's the nozzle seen hanging in the psp link above)
Old 09-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly Sig fuel. I have two filters on my fueling syringe when I suck up fuel, none when fueling, but a filter between tank and venturi.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:24 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not strain my fuel-never had any issues with crud in my fuel either-I guess I have been lucky for the last 30 years-I have been using Ritchs Brew for the last 10 years with no issues.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The last 20 yrs, I've used a screen in the fuel pickup for my pump. It has never required cleaning.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
jeffie8696

Ihave tested a lot of engines with my test stand and after having fuel delivery troubles discovered that straining or filtering is the very best way to avoid problems.
Ialso have strained fuel and found something like fine cat hair in it , sometimes so much that you can see it floating in the jug.
Iused a filter in line from the fuel tank to the carb and after having it clog up once Ialso used one in the refueling line.
Since using both Ihave not had any trouble and when opening the carb supply filter find very little cat hair now.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Does an old coffee filter and basket flow enough to use as a strainer?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:13 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jetpack

Does an old coffee filter and basket flow enough to use as a strainer?
It probably would but not a good idea because there'd be a very large surface area of fuel that would soak up water from the air rather quickly. I always use a CrapTrap filter in the fuel line (plastic tanks can sometimes have nearly invisible "fuzz" inside them) and rarely filter my fuel although I've used a car petrol filter between the fuel jug and tank occasionally.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:03 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have been using in line (Crap Trap) filters,between the tank and the carb, for more years than I care to disclose. I backflush them occasionally and have never had one plugup on me. I have also never had a "crap in carb" problem wth an engine.
I filter my fuel pick up in my gallon jug and just before the carb.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

I filter the fueling line and have a final filter just behind the carb. After a season I always find what appears to be lint at the final filter.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sometimes plagued with the white lint and other times, I'll go all season and never see any.