RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Fuels (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-fuels-161/)
-   -   Which Fuel to use? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-fuels-161/4081322-fuel-use.html)

Dawman 04-01-2006 08:19 PM

RE: Which Fuel to use?

"Ok then" if thats what they want to use . They are not going to listen anyway , all they see is $$.

loughbd 04-01-2006 09:06 PM

Yup that's what we see. $$$$$ as in burned up engines from lack of oil.

freshane 04-13-2006 09:40 PM

hi My LHS actually has this XP Car XTREME Fuel 20% and 30% for a really good price. I have a RS4 type SS and just wanted to know what % would be best. He was saying that 30% more power and runs cooler. But I thought that going higher meant shorter engine life. And if anyone has used this fuel can you give me some feedback on it. They don't carry Odonnels and Traxxas top fuel is so overpriced here its like 44 bux! Thanks

Dawman 04-13-2006 09:51 PM

I would just run 20% . I only run 30% in my engines that have been extremely modded . But you will hear different sides from people .

livindead 04-13-2006 10:08 PM

i think that the really important thing is that no matter what fuel you chose stay with it...i run byrons 20% and thats all ...not to say you cant experiment between brands but if you break in with 20% nitro then goto 30 you have basicly just resized your sleeve for 30% and you wont have the compression you had if you go back to 20%...

loughbd 04-13-2006 10:57 PM

Nitromethane is an OXIDIZER and generates heat. Heat is power and that's why we use it. It does not make an engine run cooler.

Dawman 04-14-2006 08:56 AM

RE: [Awaiting Approval]

not true , in a few cases I`ve had to use my 30 % when I was out of 20% and have gone back to 20% . It does not resize the sleeve nor loose compression . That is just some story that was made up . I have experimented with different fuels and % in the past 5 years and there are no facts that it happens .

speedracer1129 04-14-2006 09:38 AM

that is true!! when you are low on funds, don't you put 87 instead of 93?

loughbd 04-14-2006 04:47 PM

If you are talking octane rating, there are very few cars that need it today and using it in a car that doesn't need it gives absolutely no benefit. Just costs and makes you feel better.

downunder 04-14-2006 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Dawman
It does not resize the sleeve nor loose compression . That is just some story that was made up.
Correct. This is just another of the urban myths about ABx type engines based on the idea that high nitro makes them run hotter where in fact sometimes they'll actually run cooler. But the differences in temperature (hotter or cooler) is very small and less than you'll have between running them in summer/winter or full/part throttle. But if you go from 20% to 30% and don't retune then you'll have a much hotter engine because the mixture will be too lean.

loughbd 04-14-2006 10:40 PM

Urban myth???? Nitromethane DOES make an engine run hotter. That's why we use it. Heat is power and that's where the power increase comes from when you use nitro methane. That's also why little engines like the Cox 049's need high nitro content fuel. They are very small and give off there heat very quickly. The high nitro content of Cox fuel 25 to 35% nitro is what keeps these little guys hot so they run well.

Dawman 04-14-2006 11:05 PM

well ya . Maybe thats why they think it resizes the sleeve . They don`t retune and end up wearing the sleeve out .

loughbd 04-15-2006 12:38 AM

It's not an urban myth nitro methane is an oxidizer and it makes an engine run hotter. That's why we use the stuff. heat is power and we use nitro because it generates heat which increases power. Also, running and ABC engine hotter DOES cause the cylinder to expand more. That's why all the manufacturers as well as the engine columnists like Clarence Lee, Joe Wagner, Dave Gierke, George Aldrich etc tell you to break an ABC in on the fuel you are going to use. That's also why as an ABC slowly wears you can use less nitro. The engine runs cooler and the cylinder expands less and compression is regained.

Get yourself a copy of the R/C Engine Volume III by Clarence Lee or the 2 Stoke Glow Engine by Dave Gierke and see what the guys who know what they are talking about have to say about the subject. The first is from the RCM anthology and the second from Model Airplane News.

Dawman 04-15-2006 08:43 AM

I don`t need a book . I have my own test results and facts .

downunder 04-15-2006 09:09 AM

Those who get all their knowledge from books and magazines will never try anything themselves. It's surprising how wrong the books can be sometimes.

loughbd 04-15-2006 01:37 PM

Weird isn't how school and colleges all use books to teach. Who said I use only books?? I personally own over 500 engines. I bought my first 4 cycle in 1976 and still have it. I raced C/L "B" speed in the 60's. I bought my first glow engine in 1954. I flew C/L combat in the 60's. I started in R/C in 1964. I was Hobby Shack's engine repair tech for 6 years. I raced boats in the 80's. I know exactly how and why Nitromethane works and what it does. It generates HEAT.

I love how so many people know more than the guys that design and build engines.

I have more first had experiance in running repairing and buying model engines than most. I also am friends with several people in the manufacturing end and worked in the business for years. I know Clarence Lee personally as well as having past business with other columnists and designers.

Yeah I don't get it all from books but I listen to those that KNOW what they are talking about.

Oh and one last thing, isn't weird how ALL those guys that wrote those books, designed those engines (that you use) and run those companies that include the instructions are ALL WRONG???

Sport_Pilot 04-15-2006 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: loughbd

Nitromethane is an OXIDIZER and generates heat. Heat is power and that's why we use it. It does not make an engine run cooler.
Nitro is a monopropellent, that means it will burn without additional air. That is why pure 100% nitro will run stronger and stronger the richer you run it. It would indeed run hotter if you ran a perfect stochastic mixture, but since nitro runs faster extra rich it will run cooler. Heat is basicly the transfer of temperature by conductance or mass. So more mass flow even at a lower temperature can be more heat and power.

So our engines will run either hotter or cooler with more nitro. Depends on various varibles. If compression is adjusted for ideal then the temperature would go up from a low to medium nitro fuel, then it would drop when to below the low nitro when the nitro is rasied further. This is due to the interaction of methanol, nitro, and oil and how they act at richer mixtures.

Be carefull even if the engine is running cooler on higer nitro, a lean run means it will run hotter than a lean run on low nitro.