Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

which large scale should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Morris1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which large scale should i get?

Im new to large scales, butI have been thinking about getting one. Im not sure which one to lean more towards getting. Price isnt a huge problem andI have no problem building one if it's a kit. I dont want a buggy or car, Id prefer a monster truck, stadium truck, or trophy truck. 4x4 isnt a huge issue I would settle for either. I have been looking at the HPI 5tfor a long time now since the baja 5b came out. Yes I know thats been several years but with college and everything going onI havent had much time to comit to a purchase. I have also looked at the fg's, redcat's, nutechs, km, mcd,and many more. I just want to know the pros and cons of some of the better large scales out there. i know no one large scale is the best so just giveme your opinions off of experience.I dont want to regret my first purchase, so any information is greatly appriciated.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: which large scale should i get?

if you like building the hpi 5sc ss kit is good,but a lof of people didnt like the body..ill say go for hpi baja series..for 4wd id either recommend rampage or nutech since those are the only ones ive had.youll be happy with either trucks or truggy..ive had an fg truck but i didnt like it..i thot it was gonna break everytime i ran it..the advantage of hpi is there so much hop ups for it and parts are easy to find!
Old 04-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Right now the best value is Nutech and that is only because they are on sale. Both the buggy form and MT. 649 for the buggy at www.nutechracingusa.com (called the SandStorm The body is disgustingly ugly) and the Mega Monster truck for 800 at www.vancouverhobbies.com and it comes with front CVDs!!! Thats a good deal and fixes some of the turning radius issues because of the CVD. Both models come with CY motors (good).
Old 04-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, it's between 3...

The FG MT (classic, see my avatar <- ), which is just timeless, rear wheel drive platform that will never let you down (and they normally come with Zenoah engines, which are better than the usual CYs). They all have a few inherent weaknesses. The stock FG models have very mediocre stock shocks which you will want to strip and refit, they have weak steering arms which need to be upgraded when they break, and they need some attention in the brake department. Once you've got those sorted, you put on a good pipe and you have one of the best off road 5th scalers out there.

The Nutech 4wd stuff, which is a brilliant original design and the closest a 5th scale has yet come to the bulletproof 1/8th style chassis layout. This makes them easy to work on. As mentioned they come with decent engines, a lot of alloy already on them and 2.4 GHz 3ch stock radio. Great bang for the buck.

The HPI Baja. Hardly need to say anything about this one do I

I guess an honoroable mention goes to the Redcat stuff, but it's hard for me to comment having never owned one. Loosely based on the MCD chassis I believe, I know a few people have had good experiences with them (after performing the necessary upgrades to the stock vehicle of course).

Everything else is either not so good value for money (think MCD, while great cars, omg they're expensive and aren't without their flaws too), or need a lot of attention before they are up to the standard of the above mentioned models (think HPI Clones, River Hobby, KM etc).
Old 04-30-2011, 05:31 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are my top four for consideration since they are the easiest to work on:
MCD (it's been my most reliable beast)
Hurrax (the best new line out there)
FG (proven design)
Redcat (cheap)

IMO, HPI Bajas (clones included) have way too many parts to break
Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Morris1

I like the baja  5sc and nutech mega monster the most atm.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Morris1

what are the major flaws with these two? like parts that usually need upgraded fairly early due to being insufficient or breaking?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:12 PM
JQuest64

Having been into the large scales a while back (had FG Marder and MT, MCD Baja 1000 and some clones) I am getting back into it again.
My research all pointed me to HPI Baja's and I wanted similar things that you did.
A friend has 2 baja's, a 5B and 5T. He has a blast with both and has relatively little downtime with them. He beats them without mercy and while parts do break, considering the weight and what he does with them, it is hard not to recommend the HPI Baja line.
Most LHS's have parts in stock as well and the after market is quite huge for them. I just ordered a 5B SS and SC kit based on having driven his rides and also seeing what he does to them.

I would also heavily recommend FG's as well though. While they do need a bit of upgrading (metal gears and carrier) they were pretty damn tough and reliable if not a bit outdated. You can also get parts from some LHS's depending on what yours carry.

I did like my MCD Baja however parts are not readily available in the states and if something goes down you will be waiting for parts.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
tizdaz

no particualr order:

FG Monster - Choice of shells (MT / Beetle / Stadium etc) you will need to spend about £70 in hop-ups to make it bashable, which is no biggy when you consider the price of largescale to start off

Hurrax - Prob the best design out there at the mo & newest. Pyrad / Yukon (which is huge) / Zynit & the newest Toxyc which is yet to be released. All are 4WD come with many hop-ups out the box, downside is they are fairly expensive & come with no engine, but like i say, they come ready to bash out the box to what ive heard/read about them.

Nutech - Very good models, i aint owned one but just a quick on search these forums & others, you will see the Nutech range is very good. Strong, Good design & best of all, cheap compared to its bigger brothers

HPI (5b/5T) - Big following, parts easy to get but CANT be compared to the likes of FG (which alot of people do!?) they are completely different designs, drive 100% differently! ..id say the 5T is the strongest / most bashable out the 2.

Any of the above im sure you be happy with dude
Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 AM
alvinm

You can't go wrong with any of the HPI based baja platforms, including all the clones. They are all durable machines.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 AM
DarkFire989

If you want durable look at the FG MT platform. After a few essential upgrades they are fantastic.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Morris1

so what all upgrades should I make if say I decided to get the baja 5sc?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:11 PM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: Morris1

so what all upgrades shouldI make if say I decided to get the baja 5sc?
A killswitch and an Outerwears filter cover...then replace stuff as you break them. Just gas it and go!!

Old 05-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Morris1

i seen another person suggest an enclosed clutch system? is this needed?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 PM
bbuzzard

If you are running in sandy conditions, I would say yes but otherwise save that upgrade for later.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Morris1

sounds like a plan :-D...yeah i tihnk im pretty set on getting the baja 5sc so hopefully within this month ille be able to order one and be driving. If anyone else has suggestions on necessary upgrades then feel free to let me know...thanks!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:36 PM
DarkFire989

Get the 5SC SS version. Building is much better than a RTR.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Morris1

yeah i planned on it...the only thing that disapointed me about the ss version is most kit's have more upgrade parts on them (well it usually goes this way with nitro 1/8th scales) rather than the RTR version. the only difference i could see with the baja is the tuned pipe? did i skip over some stuff or is that really the only difference?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Morris1

Also if I do the baja 5sc ss Iwas thinking about getting  the Hitec HS-5755 digital servo and using it on steering and putting the servo it comes with on throttle. if not the hitec then maybe the Futaba S3306. Aso what fail safe should i get? I wasnt for sure if there was such thing as a large scale fail safe, or if a fail safe like I would use on a 1/8th would work

Old 05-01-2011, 04:52 PM
badboy2

double post.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 PM
badboy2

i think the 5sc kit has better dogbones and diff.id still buy the enclosed clutch cover you dont want the enjoyment stopping because you broke the pinion bolt.killer rc killswitch is the way to go its like a failsafe but better..but you need a 3channel radio and i think the stock radio will not work with it..it saves you when the battery dies or goin out of range.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:21 PM
bbuzzard

A killswitch will work with a 2-ch radio...just purchase the correct model (Killer Bee v2)
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Morris1

Ihave transmitters butI think im goinna buy a 2.4 gig 3 channel like maybe the futaba 3pm-x. SoI guessI could use the killer bee v1 or v2 with this transmitter? what pipe would you guys suggest for the baja 5sc? i thought the dominator pipes and the victory pipes looked nice. im also unsure which mount to go with on a pipe side or back?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 PM
badboy2

i like the jetpro v2 or v3 for stock engine..
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 AM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: Morris1Ihave transmitters butI think im goinna buy a 2.4 gig 3 channel like maybe the futaba 3pm-x. SoI guessI could use the killer bee v1 or v2 with this transmitter?
Yes, the V2 works great with my 3PM-X.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.