Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Brushless XLB

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Trip..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless XLB

I know this is my first post, but I'm not a noob to R/C. I have been in this hobby for well over 20 years and I am a Moderator on a couple largescale forums as well. That being said, please cut me some slack.

I have an XLB that I bought new from my local hobbyshop back in 2003 and I've ran about 15 gallons of nitro through this old buggy before I swiped the SH.28 motor to put into my Savage. Now it's been sitting for about 4 years and I've decided to knock the dust off of it and convert it into a brushless ass kicker! Now I know some purists may scream that it's not a large scale because it was marketed as a 1/7 scale. XTM was going to label it as a 1/6 scale, but they labeled it as a 1/7 scale because it was a nitro and most 1/6 scales were gas. XTM didn't want any problems so they labeled it as a 1/7 scale. They were also working on releasing the Grizzly and as many of you know, that was a Smartech Truck the same as the Firehammer and they didn't want any conflict in sales. The XLB was $500 and the Grizzly was $1000...

Here is a pic of it next to my FG M/T body.

As you can see it's not a "Little Nitro"Here's a pic with it wearing my FG M/T body.

Yes I am well aware that the body is too big for this buggy and it looks funny. I am just pleading my case to not be *****ed at for the buggy not being a "Largescale"...

To continue.I've debated on what motor/esc to run and I really haven't come up with anything exclusive. I have narrowed it down to a few different choices. I'm thinking about the Hobbywing 150a esc and the 4274 sensored motor. http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=459 I'm looking at combo M6A (ebay $245.) Just as a heads up, the new Redcat electric buggy runs this same ESC... The motor I'm looking at is bigger than what's in that redcat buggy though.

I'm also thinking about the Castle Creation Mamba Monster. http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_monster.html (Ebay $285.) I should note that the Savage Flux is a CC Mamba Monster setup. Which is the same as this http://www.leopardhobby.com/product/...ionID=01020207

I haven't narrowed it down yet and the prices are pretty close. Both setups are made in China (yes even the CC is Chinese) and both are close in price but the Hobby Wing has better specs.

Ok well here are some pics of the buggy that I plan to install the brushless setup. The good thing is this buggy is only about 4 pounds as a roller and maybe 6 pounds with radio gear and electrics! So it's super light compared to gas 1/6 or 1/5 scales.

Here's some pics of the nitro stuff removed.

Here are some pics of a basic layout that I've been thinking
about...
The toilet paper tube and nicads are about the same size as the motor and (2) 3s lipos I plan to run. The monster Traxxas receiver is about the same as the Hobbywing receiver that I'm looking at. That's why there is 2 receivers in these pics. The Novak receiver is about the same as the Airtronics receiver that I plan to run.

Ok so I'm looking for some advice from anybody that has experience with big brushless setups. I'm not looking to set any world speed records with this setup, but I am looking for about the same performance as the Savage Flux with a 6s.

All comments are welcome.

Trip..
Old 05-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Obeast44

Default RE: Brushless XLB

Nice buggy, its definitely interesting to see one. I would use a Mamba monster or Hobbywing 150amp esc and a 1717 castle motor. That should get the buggy moving along quite nicely and very similar to the Savage.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:29 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that is nice...reminds me of the XB and XB-E! [8D]
Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Trip..

It's not quite as big though.