Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Research and wanananananana (scout)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Research and wanananananana (scout)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 PM
iexion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Research and wanananananana (scout)

I've been on this crazy hunt for something 1/5 lately and im leaning towards an on-road vehicle. Really I would like to find a 1/5 Rally car that wasnt $1k+ but on-road is still looking pretty good. Aside from that the Redcat Dune runner 4x4 buggy & Exceed Barca 30cc 4x4 buggy look great for the price, but I stumbled across this and want to know if this is saying "im a piece of crap"
[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21183]Turnigy 1/5 Scale 23CC 2WD On-Road Race Car[/link]
LMK you onions. Thx
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 PM
DarkFire989

Default RE: Research and wanananananana (scout)

Looks like a FG clone of really cheap quality.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM
iexion

Thats kinda what I was looking for. For the price it seems like too good of a deal [&o]
Old 11-22-2011, 07:55 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that's what you want, keep in mind that you will eventually make it a FG because typically there is no aftermarket support on OEM parts on clones, except for the Baja clones. So, that being said, that price is outstanding to get a largescale on-road but you must allocate a minimum of $200-300 for the electonics to replace the RTR junk. When you get it, please share some vids and your experience.
peace
b
Old 11-23-2011, 07:37 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Does any one know for sure FG parts will fit? One of the top things I look at when buying a new RC vehicle is availability and ease of getting parts. From personal experience large scale is WAY more expensive then smaller scales. You might start out with a $300 vehicle but I a sure you when it is all said and done you are lucky if you only have 2k in it. My personal opinion is to buy quality to begin with as in the long run you are better off even if you have to wait a while to get it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:51 AM
bbuzzard

If it is a clone, then why wouldn't the parts fit? Historically, clones. especially the ones copying FG and HPI, pretty much match up on the parts. Now the issue with quality is debatable...

PS - I do know the Marder clones made by Smartech/Carson/XTM have some parts that don't match up but they can be swapped out to true FG parts.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Apache-

Why not look into a decent alloy car 2nd hand.
It keeps its value and you will enjoy it so much more.
I would rather buy an older LB, Contrast, FG, Harm etc etc 2nd hand than such thing new, that is if you want to keep running...
If you look around carefully you can even get 1 or 2 year old alloy cars at bargain prices from 1000~1300 euros and then you have a ful option high-end race kit. Many racers are now changing their cars and sell them, good time to buy a 2nd hand car, plenty of choice.
Just my 2cnt
Old 11-23-2011, 01:42 PM
iexion

I would love a used FG off ebay but odds are when I have the funds, nothing decent is up for grabs. Honestly im not going to purchase anything till next year (before tax season) and seeing how many off brands are stating to pop-up, im looking/researching now. I've been going thru Redcat Racing stuff again and I didnt realize Dune Runner now comes with a 30cc engine. So this leads me to a few questions

1. Are the diffs solid or do thru require an upgrade out of the box
2. Is there any mod(s) to fit 1/8 scale rims on a 1/5 scale buggy
Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 PM
46u

Why would you even want to put 1/8 scale wheels and tires on a 1/5? Even if you could I do not think they would with stand the weight and abuse. A 1/8 scale buggy weights about 8 to 10 pounds. A 1/5 scale weighs 20 to 35 or more pounds and most weigh more then 20.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 PM
bbuzzard

Apache,
There is not a lot of good used largescales available in the US, PERIOD. In the past year, I have haven't seen very few good cars for sale for a good price (and I have heard some bad stories dealing with used stuff) I wish the day would come when North America matches the level of largescale racing and sales. But for now, we are coming up short...now I know we have a good level of HPI Bajas out there out there but that ain't the same.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: 46u

Why would you even want to put 1/8 scale wheels and tires on a 1/5? Even if you could I do not think they would with stand the weight and abuse. A 1/8 scale buggy weights about 8 to 10 pounds. A 1/5 scale weighs 20 to 35 or more pounds and most weigh more then 20.
Because we have a large selection of 1/5 wheels and tires in America. No I did not know there was a huge weight difference between 1/8 and 1/5[sm=tired.gif]

Old 11-24-2011, 05:46 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: iexion

ORIGINAL: 46u

Because we have a large selection of 1/5 wheels and tires in America. No I did not know there was a huge weight difference between 1/8 and 1/5[sm=tired.gif]

Think you had a type O and mean 1/8. If nothing else putting 1/8 scale tires on a 1/5 would all most be like putting go kart tries on your 1 to 1 vehicle! I all so live in the US and have no problem finding tires for my needs.

Do to the size and weight of a 1/5 scale in my opinion a remote kill switch is mandatory before ever running it. If you have a run away with a heavy large 1/5 scale and do not have a remote kill switch you have a BIG liability not counting the damage to your RC vehicle.

All so keep in mind most or all RTR do not have very good radio system or servos. After remote kill switch these are the very next things to up grade.

Not trying to scare you off but 1/5 scale is MUCH more expensive then smaller scales.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Rallyfinnen

ORIGINAL: Apache-

Why not look into a decent alloy car 2nd hand.
It keeps its value and you will enjoy it so much more.
I would rather buy an older LB, Contrast, FG, Harm etc etc 2nd hand than such thing new, that is if you want to keep running...
If you look around carefully you can even get 1 or 2 year old alloy cars at bargain prices from 1000~1300 euros and then you have a ful option high-end race kit. Many racers are now changing their cars and sell them, good time to buy a 2nd hand car, plenty of choice.
Just my 2cnt

I absolutely agree to that!
You can add a used MCD Rally to the list, for the 4wd.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Apache-

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

Apache,
There is not a lot of good used largescales available in the US, PERIOD. In the past year, I have haven't seen very few good cars for sale for a good price (and I have heard some bad stories dealing with used stuff) I wish the day would come when North America matches the level of largescale racing and sales. But for now, we are coming up short...now I know we have a good level of HPI Bajas out there out there but that ain't the same.
That is a shame Bbuz, here in Holland you have plenty of choice from AAA class cars.
Some have been running just 5 races and they simply are sold off for a fresh ride next season.
We have here also a lot of tracks. Around 6 for off-road and Holland ain't that big

I understand you can have a problem buying used but most of the high-end racing cars you will not encounter an issue apart from scratches which it gets due to use, you should be able to check up front. EIther see it in real or get loads of pics so you can judge well. I know of some very good quality full alloy cars starting at 600,- euros, being just 2 years old which are excellent serviced. There are quite some listed on the UK and the Dutch forums, especially now as all are selling of to fund their new ride for the new season.

I believe North America will host again the worlds on-road 1/5th in two years I believe. Maybe that could give a spark as well, I am tempted going over, lets see what it all will be on the other side of the pond.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:17 PM
iexion

Well, Im down to this. I can buy [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21183]this[/link] cheaper then [link=http://www.vvtecracing.com/Cars-and-Trucks/Mustang-Drift-1-0/]here[/link] and find the parts off [link=http://www.vvtecracing.com/Cars-and-Trucks/Mustang-Drift-1-0/?t=part]here[/link]. Thing is for the cost of shipping I very well may end up going with one of [link=http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/1-5-Scale/Rampage-DR-4X4]these[/link] √ [link=http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c882-barca-orange-artr.html]vs[/link]

The concept of converting the on-road to electric seem more possible but this would require a motor mount and I have no idea if such a thing exist, or how to fab one up. [link=http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_xl2.html][:-][/link]
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM
20prcnt

k, dont rag on me, but i just bought a km t1000 for 840.00 free shipping 6 weeks ago. not being the quality i though it should be, i was not surprised. my 11 yr. old son (experienced in nitro) and i bashed the **** out it for 2 weeks. broke the crank case mount, servo ,things like that. it took a nose dive from 6 feet that i thought was it, but it keep going.i know what it can do now, and i thought it held up well.got that out of the way. so then i droped 1500.00 plus into it and i can see this is just the start.addicted to gas, nitro was just the gate way.want to weld my own frames, all kinds of ideas, im done fighting with myself, this s is as cool as it was 23 years ago when i got my first tamyia grasshopper then to the frog,just got to get that visit from lewis armor,,,ha ha[&o],[>:],, or another job.see my pics.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I might have to order one of these. Even though it's a clone, it still looks to be built ok. The only thing I am worried about is the crappy engine.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Hmm, I might have to order one of these. Even though it's a clone, it still looks to be built ok. The only thing I am worried about is the crappy engine.
I thought about upgrading the engine to a 30cc engine but that seems like it would be harder to control.

Does anyone have any idea what model of FG this is a clone of? Only reason why im asking is for the body shell and being able to get another one[:-]
Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 PM
20prcnt

if ur refering to mine note i put 1500.00 plus into it.none of the candy came on it. thats a fully moded 30.5 from ddm. at rich settings it hits second and bump bump the throtle and up come the front, it will go over quickley if i dont pull off the gas. this is the narghliest toy in the pill. im raceing my jato with my baja t tomorrow. i know my jato is a 60 mph car period, so if it beats it then im gonna race the baja with my 99 cr 500 full size dirt bike. that toy might get me of the line but my 500 in 5th gone gone gone hold on. but the engine it came with (30.5) is fast but i have faster so i wanted more and got it. hard to control no way, use the trottle thats what its there for.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 PM
20prcnt

original parts are hard to get but all parts are hpi perfect clones except the electrics. but i got the upper end of china with the 8 model programable controler. the 2.4 rx's are only like 3 to 8 bucks. got 10 comeing. good for car or boat. and mid. line controllers are only 15 to 30$.with all the tech. today cant really go wrong with 2.4. one problem, the re-labeled electrics for resale in the U.S. are found at that hobby store online that always says thimgs are in stock then order and then not in stock.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:25 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Are these 2WD onroad cars hard to control off the line??
seems the back end would want to come around?
thanks
Old 12-03-2011, 03:10 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: srt10

Are these 2WD onroad cars hard to control off the line??
seems the back end would want to come around?
thanks
Thats what im wondering. The redcat im not wondering about the engine, just the on-road
Old 12-03-2011, 03:48 PM
bbuzzard

Most largescale on-road cars are 2WD and I haven't experienced anyone having issues with bad tracking unless the car wasn't set up correctly. In fact, there are folks on the board that do a lot of drag racing and they would be better to give input on the larger engine setups. IMO, as long as the toe-in is right, you shouldn't have any problems...
Old 12-03-2011, 10:34 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Most largescale on-road cars are 2WD and I haven't experienced anyone having issues with bad tracking unless the car wasn't set up correctly. In fact, there are folks on the board that do a lot of drag racing and they would be better to give input on the larger engine setups. IMO, as long as the toe-in is right, you shouldn't have any problems...
not talking about tracking but on traction
Old 12-04-2011, 06:38 AM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: srt10

not talking about tracking but on traction
Almost the same issue IMO...if you have the correct setup, you shouldn't have any problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.