Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Hpi's New Gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:16 PM
elven wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi's New Gas engine

We all knew it was coming. Here's pic's and info of Hpi's new gas engine.
Available March 2012

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine1.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2236614

Think of a standard nitro engine...and now imagine:
More than double the runtime...
Cheaper fuel costs...
Widely available fuel...
Easier starting...
No tuning hassle...
Quieter running...
Cleaner running...

The brand new HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine combines these fantastic properties with all the excitement of an all-new petrol engine!

The HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine is a gasoline 2-stroke engine with outer dimensions only slightly larger than a big block nitro car or truck engine. This revolutionary size will allow the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine to fit in RC cars where gasoline engines never could before.

So what are the advantages of this engine over the standard nitro methane-powered engines you're used to?

Increased Runtimes

The HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine will get at least double the runtime per tank of fuel, meaning you get more fun before refuelling and more bang for your buck!

Hugely Reduced Running Costs
Standard gasoline is much cheaper than Nitro fuel, plus spark plugs lasting much longer than glow plugs, so the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine allows the RC hobbyist to have extremely reduced running costs.

Widely available fuel
With the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine, it's now much easier to find fuel at any full-size car service station, anywhere in the world. Simply fill up a fuel can and grab a bottle of 2-stroke oil and away you go to enjoy your car or truck!

Easier to Start

Just like the engine in the Baja buggies and trucks, the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine is extremely easy to start and there's NO fussing with carb settings. Pull the starter cord and off you go!

No Tuning Hassle

Instead of worrying about things like temperature and humidity to fine tune a nitro engine every time you run your car the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine is much more tolerant with its carburetor settings. The on-board electronics provide fine control and do all the tuning work for you.

Much Cleaner

With the 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine, you no longer have to deal with the "nitro goop" that covers your car after running a nitro engine. With a lower oil-to-fuel mixture compared to nitro methane fuels, the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine will run much cleaner making it easy to clean up your vehicle after running.

A Complete Engine System
The eXtreme Gas engine system isn't just an engine - it includes the engine itself, electronics to keep the engine running smoothly and cables to connect everything. It's a complete drop-in solution to adding loads of extra, usable power with a low running cost and maximum impact!

Name:	engine2.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	2236615

Super 5 SC with Gasoline Engine

Name:	super5scgas.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	2236616

The all-new eXtreme Gas engine may be smaller than the Fuelie 23cc engine, but it's also lighter, and powering a lighter vehicle than the Baja 5B buggy or 5SC truck (over 20kg). This makes it the perfect match for the Super 5SC!

RTR Savage XL with Gasoline Engine

Name:	savgas1t.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	2236617

The Savage drivetrain is super flexible, allowing HPI monster trucks to reach legendary levels of durability and performance! Because of this extreme toughness, HPI designers have Super-sized the Savage to 1/5th scale, taking the Savage to a new dimension! And when we combined this extra-large size Savage chassis with the all-new eXtreme Gas petrol engine, that's when things really got interesting!

Name:	savgas2.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	2236618

Name:	savgas3.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	2236619

The natural fit for the brand new eXtreme Gas petrol engine is the Savage XL monster truck!

With the long wheelbase and bulky lines of the bodyshell, the big eXtreme Gas engine is the perfect fit. Click image for larger version

Name:	savgas4-1.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	2236620 The power available from the eXtreme Gas engine means it will be able to spin up the large Terra Pin tires and have loads of top speed when it's going all-out!
•HPI eXtreme Gas engine is perfect fit

•Fits large fuel tank for long running times

•Custom tuned pipe for even better performance

•1/5th scale Savage-based short course truck

•Savage aluminum TVP design

•Savage bulletproof drivetrain

•HPI eXtreme Gas engine system

•2.4GHz radio system

•Front and rear Baja 5SC bumpers and mud flaps

•Uses Baja 5SC body and wheels

Apache C1 with Gasoline Engine

Name:	ac1gas1.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2236621

The MiniGas petrol engine is a great fit for the Apache C1 chassis, to give you the ultimate combination of scale desert buggy looks with realistic real gasoline engine sound and smoke! With the power of the eXtreme Gas engine, the Apache C1 can achieve high speeds while looking and sounding much like the real racing buggies!

Name:	1-1.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	2236622

A compact muffler system allows the Gasoline Engine system to fit within the buggy roll cage while providing plenty of room for maintenance and tuning.
•1/8th scale realistic desert racing buggy

Name:	savgas4.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	2236623

front side

Name:	ac1gas2.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	2236624

back side

Name:	ascgas2.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2236625

Name:	d8tgas3-1.jpg
Views:	1522
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	2236626

•Based on World Champion D8 Buggy

•HPI eXtreme Gas engine system is perfect fit

Name:	2-2.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	2236627

Name:	3-1.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	2236628

•Compact muffler system

•TF-40 2.4GHz radio system

•Oil-filled gear differentials

•Unique monocoque suspension arms

•Silicone oil-filled Big Bore shocks with threaded bodies

•Realistic Yokohama Geolandar off-road tires

•Scale off-road wheels

D8T with Gasoline Engine

Name:	d8tgas1.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	2236629

The eXtreme Gas engine is also a great fit in buggies and truggies, as shown by its fitment in the racing-spec D8T buggy, based on the World Champion D8.

Name:	d8tgas3.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	2236630

Name:	d8tgas4.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2236631

With loads of torque and power to spare, the eXtreme Gas engine is a great option for buggy and Truggy owners!

Name:	4-1.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	2236632

•HPI eXtreme Gas engine is perfect fit

•Fits large fuel tank for long running times

Elven Wizard says - Question is .... which one of these ya gonna buy ?

[b]The HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine is truly The Next Big Thing in RC car and truck innovation - it's cheaper to run, easier to start, cleaner and quieter![b]

Name:	396260_3113684366994_1410960481_33078802_1438096585_n-1-1.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2236633

Old 02-10-2012, 07:17 PM
blackrain

Default RE: Hpi's New Gas engine

Looks cool the article mentioned everything but performance
Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 PM
elven wizard

yup like to know specs as well and curious about the pricing
Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 PM
JQuest64

If price and performance are good I may have to get another Savage in the future.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 PM
elven wizard

I like the looks of that Apache C1. Hpi's small gasser looks so similiar to a nitro engine. If this works out for HPI, they'll sell loads of these. This is the things to come. I do like to know the RPM's of this gas engine.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:38 AM
sparky 25

although it's got 8cc stamped onto the block,

the displacement will actually be closer to 15cc according to one of the hpi team on the hpi forum.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 AM
iexion

I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I F&&&&&& KNEW IT!!!
THE SECOND I BUY SOMETHING 1/5 HPI WOULD RELEASE THEIR NEW ENGINE/SAVAGE THAT HAS A GAS ENGINE[:@][:@]DAMMIT
Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 AM
mooman007uk

i heard it was to be 18cc, if it was only 8cc i think the performance would be lacking.........nitros make silly power due to the fuel, hence 6000+hp from a 500cu in drag cars, so interested to see how the gasser performs... if it is comparable then i think you'll see more micro gassers come from other manufacturers....now they need to make a proper tuned pipe and not just slap on a nitro one.

and now hpi fans finally have their 1/5th savage gasser...lol
Old 02-11-2012, 08:30 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad it's Shuwa... they basically just added an ignition and big head to an already crappy airplane engine.

I still want one, for reasons.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Too bad it's Shuwa... they basically just added an ignition and big head to an already crappy airplane engine.

I still want one, for reasons.
I know what you ment by this but it just sounds funny, like a slight bit of jealously and haterism
Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 PM
splcrazy

awesome i know what im buying next a new savage x with one of those engines
Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

i want a savage again!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM
splcrazy

haha yeah i got rid of my nitro savage x 4.6 because of that expensive crap nitro , and now i want it back again, im definatley getting it when it comes out
Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

haha yeah i got rid of my nitro savage x 4.6 because of that expensive crap nitro , and now i want it back again, im definatley getting it when it comes out
savage is my first rc so i really want it again hehe..now with ease of tuning too!i saw a vid of a savage gasser it has a 18cc mitsubishi engine..its kinda on a slow side.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 PM
tapkoote

gassers are the way to go!!!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:50 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: badboy2

savage is my first rc so i really want it again hehe..now with ease of tuning too!i saw a vid of a savage gasser it has a 18cc mitsubishi engine..its kinda on a slow side.
if its slow or no torque forget it man ill stick with my 5b's
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 AM
kg2mb

That engine does have "cheap"look too it but...im for this all,no nitro fuel..my new 5sc Mite be jealous..
Who knows,maby zenoah will pick up on this and make a better engine
alltho we should wait and see how they perform.Official HPI Video Yet???
Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 AM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: badboy2

if its slow or no torque forget it man ill stick with my 5b's
It will be less powerful than a nitro engine, gasoline has a lower energy density. It will probably put out about the same power as the 5.9, which is why they are compensating with displacement. It will also have a slightly different powerband. Probably less torque and less top end, limited by the CDI.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 PM
splcrazy

yeah im sure it someone will make better engines , i wonder if we'll see race ported heads? if its as powerfull as a 5.9, then i dont know maybe it will still be good for its weight.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: proanti1

It will be less powerful than a nitro engine, gasoline has a lower energy density. It will probably put out about the same power as the 5.9, which is why they are compensating with displacement. It will also have a slightly different powerband. Probably less torque and less top end, limited by the CDI.
Instead of just outright saying something wrong, why not research it a little bit first?

Nitromethane has a significantly lower energy density than gasoline: Gasoline provides about 42–44 MJ/kg whereas nitromethane provides only 11.3 MJ/kg.

The difference is, nitromethane's oxygen enables it to burn with much less atmospheric oxygen. 14.7 lb (6.7 kg) of air is required to burn 1 lb (0.45 kg) of gasoline, but only 1.7 lb (0.77 kg) of air for 1 lb of nitromethane. Since an engine's cylinder can only contain a limited amount of air on each stroke, 8.7 times more nitromethane than gasoline can be burned in one stroke. Nitromethane generates about 2.3 times the power of gasoline when combined with a given amount of oxygen. So, it doesn't have a higher energy density. It just requires less oxygen to burn.

Size for size, a gas engine cannot match the power output of a nitro. However, the gas engine can make up for this deficit with larger displacement. A .26ci engine is 4.25cc. If HPI is talking 15cc, then there is your size to compensate for the increased oxygen necessary for similar power output. I don't think this is just a heli engine as some are saying. All it takes is a good combination of displacement, bore, stroke and airflow to change an engine's performance drastically.

I will have one of these engines in my Eight-T and XXL as soon as they are released.

HPI > *

Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
ByronRC

If I can fit one of these in a Ofna GTP 2 8 scale than I'm all over it. I turned my last one into a horse shoe by hitting a curb. lol. So I gave it to a friend to fix and have. Afterward I just took the 5T out of the trunk to stomp on the pavement
Old 02-13-2012, 03:56 PM
lawnman36

if it works good i will have to get the 1/8 scale stuff back out
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 AM
mooman007uk

compagnucci have a small gas engine already and they are supposed to touch 60mph in 1/8 on roads, they do have a better cylinder arrangement with a 4 bolt cylinder like the zens + seperate head and rear exhaust but only .39cuin....the hpi side exhaust is based on an aero engine so isn't the most desirable lay out for max power but the extra cc's should make up for it

[link]http://www.mecoa.com/compagnucci/index.htm[/link]
Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 AM
sparky 25

I could have bought one of these engines of eBay a couple days ago,

Guy was looking £30 shipped, came with sensor but without Cdi box,

I kicked on the deal.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 AM
wan6176

i stickk to my baja..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.