Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

i REEEEAALLY want a 5th scale, badly, but some thing need serious clearing up

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

i REEEEAALLY want a 5th scale, badly, but some thing need serious clearing up

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Nitro Pop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i REEEEAALLY want a 5th scale, badly, but some thing need serious clearing up

well there are many things i want to touch on, the main one being about the 5b, more specifically,
should i get the
5b ss with the spectrum DX3c
or
the 5b 2.0

second, if 5b ss is better (which is kinda what i'm leaning towards due to 26cc and i get to build it) what type of servo should i go for? what would be MINNIMUM and RECCOMENDED specs for servos? would something along the lines of

Speed(@7.4V sec/60): .15
Torque(@7.4V oz-in): 500

Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .20
Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 400

be good-great (not just "ok" or "sufficient" but actually very good) for bashing and racing? would more tourque be nessesary? more speed? what do these speed figures look like real world? what kind of servo even FITS these specs that is 1/5 scale and from a good reputable company with high durability and good parts support?

next, 1 piece bodies for SCT and trophy truck style 5th scales are expensive, losi has a good idea (modular multi piece body), AND 4wd but their truck is really heavy and underpowered, and HPI's 4x4 is brushless only, and it still uses the 1 piece body, are there any other 4x4 GAS options that have multi piece modular bodies? that aren't crappy clones?

lastly, i saw in one of Jang's URC reviews about the 5b flux/brushless on 8s, it jumped BEAUTIFULLY, but before that i heard the 1/5 buggies couldn't jump for squat. is this true? is it only with the gassers? or should the Gas 1/5 buggies jump as good as the brushless? or is it all BS and they all jump just fine?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM
DarkFire989

Default RE: i REEEEAALLY want a 5th scale, badly, but some thing need serious clearing up

First off, I am pretty sure the 5B SS comes with a steering servo, which leaves the throttle. I use a 5645MG Hitec or 645MG, I forget, they aren't extremely powerful on 6v. And it deals with the throttle/braking pretty well. Besides Losi with the 5ive. There is FG that makes 4WD vehicles as well as MCD, Huraxx, Elcon, ect. My Baja tends to lawn dart with jumping unless you pin the throttle before take off, but my 2WD FG does pretty damn well for jumping.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM
mooman007uk

Default RE: i REEEEAALLY want a 5th scale, badly, but some thing need serious clearing up

no other manufacturer makes a 3 piece body, but the likes of FG, MCD, Hurrax, use the right type of lexan for their bodies and they last for ages and take a lot of abuse...don't know of any "crappy clones" using modular bodies.

my buddie snapped a losi front fender clean in 2 the other day when it was cold out but not below freezing...wasn't impressed, another has half dozen cracks already in his...still 75bucks a pop to replace and they seem to be pretty brittle when it's cold out

put a pipe in the losi and it isn't slow and at 37lb it isn't heavy either...not for it's footprint which is near twice that of a 5b/t/sc....

unless you are a grass park runner, or plan to be, who just keeps it pegged running backwards and forwards backwards and forwards, which seems to be a popular habitat for 5b's, none of the current offerings are what i'd call slow, most will top out stock between 35-40mph which in a pit or on a track is plenty quick enough.

the 5 flux thing is a super extended savage chassis with many 1/8th parts...not sure on durability because don't think i've seen anyone on largescale forums who's actually bought one

1/5ths can indeed get big air ...it's the landing that can cause problems....if you are planning on big air often stick to nitros
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Nitro Pop

hhm, well personally, i just can't get over the baja buggy look of the 5b, i would really like a 4x4 version of that, with the cage a little more forward, A LITTLE not so much as to make it look like a 1/8 buggy, just a little more agressive, and ofcourse 4x4, i think i saw an MCD or FG had something like that but the stock wheels and tires look like crap, any after-markets?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Johnnysplits

ORIGINAL: Nitro Pop

hhm, well personally, i just can't get over the baja buggy look of the 5b, i would really like a 4x4 version of that, with the cage a little more forward, A LITTLE not so much as to make it look like a 1/8 buggy, just a little more agressive, and ofcourse 4x4, i think i saw an MCD or FG had something like that but the stock wheels and tires look like crap, any after-markets?
Have you looked on the DDM site? They have aftermarket wheels and tires.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
DarkFire989

Seems like you would want a Race Runner.

[link]http://www.largescalerc.com/MCDRaceRunnerV4-26ccMotor-NewFor2010.aspx[/link]
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM
stalker77
My Feedback: (1)

I'll sell you this one!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Nitro Pop

looks too much like a 1/8th buggy, need the more gritty, badarse, desert baja buggy look, i don't really care if it's 2 or 4wd i just want something that will take 1/8 and homeade jumps and not nosedive, check jangs 5b brushless, i need something along the lines of equal to a little better jumping performance than this except in a fuelie.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0I_am4uW4A[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOtzoxx-5q8[/youtube]

are there any companies/cars that are "normal" "well known" "reputable" ect. with my preferances?

i've been looking at the FG modelsBaja Buggy WB535 4WDandBaja Buggy WB535 2WDbut they are priced in euros, sounds like they aren't sold in US, nor do they have parts support in the US, and i'm QUITE certain shipping would be a beyotch.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Nitro Pop

ORIGINAL: stalker77

I'll sell you this one!
oi, that's a nice kit there, but sadly i don't have the mouullaah yet, i think i might get a job and save up.

.....or just beg the crap out of my parents, i mean i am only 15(why i mentioned a job, but im kinda lazy with "priorities" as they call them, not how i see it, i think i just have differant "priorities")
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM
DarkFire989

Look Here. [link]http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/sc.12/category.27859/.f[/link]

And Here. [link]http://www.largescalerc.com/carstrucks.aspx[/link]

Edit: Just saw you are only 15? You better be saving a lot my friend. You are going to be looking at 1000-1500+ easily to get into 1/5 scales if you are buying new.

One of the reasons why I love 1/5 scale. It weeds out most of the Youngins that can't afford them and are usually incredibly immature online that love to argue and bicker. (Not saying you are but that is generally the case)
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Nitro Pop

yeah i try not to be a d**k unlesss i absolutely have to (or if i get angered to much) but anyway i think, im gonna end up going with the FG baja 4x4 or 2x4, besides the obvious driveline differances what else is different, also, can is the little fake driver removable? any reviews of it? comparison in size to baja 5b?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM
mooman007uk

race runners don't jump well and mcd's are not cheap to maintain...
saying that any 1/5th will be super expensive to run if you don't have a regular income...i'm sure mummy and daddy will grow weary very quickly of having to fork out 20, 40 or more bucks every time you bust it getting nitro sized air.
there are plenty of durable models out there but i think your expectations might be a little off....any 1/5th can get huge air but to do so you need deep pockets, and a dog leash...been there done that
Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Nitro Pop

so if i want the bonified baja look, and from what you said the others jump worse, i think i'll go with a 5b ss, maybe a losi 5ive t for 4x4. anything else anyone wants to put in is welcome.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM
DarkFire989

The 5ive is going to be a lot more expensive than a 5B SS.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Nitro Pop

plus body piece cost, even if its modular, but the benifiets would be 4x4 and if im not mistaken, better jumping (due to 4x4 and SCT design) by the way during this whole thing, you've benn saying stuff about how nitro jump height will kill it, do you mean 20-40 foot higy jumps? cause i don't plan on going any higher than 15 feet, with a down ramp at the other end ofcourse, now length could be debated but i don't plan on more than 15 feet of height
Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jumps and 1/5 scale don't mix, I won't jump anything over 3 foot.

The problem is there weight, if u mess up the landing it will most likely break.

DJmedic did some massive jumps with his 5ive, but still I wouldent recomend it

Do u have much driving experance? 1/5 is not a good scale to start with. Some newby mistakes can be very costly and even the required maintance can be very technical.

By the sounds u are going to have problems funding a 1/5 project unless u have a full time job. Parts can be very expensive... Example; I'm looking at $100 for a servo to fix my steering

Been only 15 and entering ur golden years on puberty, are u sure u want to spend that much on a Rc car? If it was me I would be getting my driving licence some wheels and start chasing tails
Old 01-13-2013, 06:20 PM
phmaximus

Did u end up getting a 1/8 buggy?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Nitro Pop

nah but seeing as how the guy above said things, i think i'll start with a 1/8 buggy then move to 1/8 truggy once i get more funds, and i might, MIGHT start looking back into 5th scales in my 20's

edit: nevermind, you were the guy above **facepalm**
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
DarkFire989

I got my first 1/5 scale at 16. But I worked a lot beforehand to save for one.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
phmaximus

Sounds like a smarter way of doing it. Don't give up on 1/5 tho, just think someday u will get one

1/8 buggies and truggies are arguable the best scale for raw preformance, u won't be disappointed.

Hey, might even be worth checking out other Rc cars to, sometimes it's good to have a few totally different Rc cars.
SCT are a cheap way to getingo the hobby, kind of like a stepping stone
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I would definitely get the 1/8 buggy first since your new to the hobby, 1/8 scale requires enough maintenance and money Im sure 1/5 scale would probably be enough to drive you out of the hobby lol.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 AM
tbolt5200
My Feedback: (1)

did you ever think about redcat racing they have a 5 th scale dune runner for about 629.00 rtr i work at a hobby shop and only heared good so far we sold a bunch so far
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Nitro Pop

got a review link for that? BTW this is pretty much exactly what im looking for, but it seems a little slow (could be wrong that could've been going 35) especially for a 30cc gonna have to slap a pipe on it probably huh? either way how does it jump? does it nosedive?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1362

RCU review of the redcat rampage in MT trim
Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM
huw4027

Hey Nitro Pop i would have to agree with everybody and if jumping is your thing maybe 1/5 scale is not for you
unless your landings are great because if they are not it will cost you but we don't know your financial status only you do so
we can only advise you.
One thing i can say is that 1/5 scale rocks and please remember you can get some decent used ones on E-bay so you
really don't have to get a new one that is if you decide to get a 1/5 vehicle. [8D]