Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Bought a HPI Baja 5B and have questions - Please help.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Bought a HPI Baja 5B and have questions - Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:36 PM
kashif314

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a HPI Baja 5B and have questions - Please help.

Hi Guys,

I am not new to RC but new to Large Scale Petrol vehicles. All this time I only played with Electric 1:10 or 1:8 scales. The sound of Nitro and Gasoline vehicles always fascinates me but I was hesitant because of the troubles of tuning and taking care as I don't know anything about such vehicles.

Finally, I decided to go for it and instead of going for Nitro I went for Gasoline and since I don't have long pockets so I bought a used HPI Baja 5B from a reputable Hobby Shop dealer whom I know from a long time and have complete trust that he will sell me the original Baja and not the clone.

The car has some upgrades installed by the previous owner like shock covers, few aluminum parts inside. But most importantly as per the shop keeper there is a 29 cc head piston installed and also a tuned pipe. Like I said I am new to these cars so I don't know what is the significance of these parts. Here are a couple of questions:

1) The shop keeper says that these upgrades make my Baja 5B 29 cc and not 23 cc. Is he correct? Please not the engine is stock 23 cc and its just the head piston which is 29 cc.

2) Can you please identify this installed tuned pipe and please tell me what this do?

3) My Baja always starts after like three or four tries and never in the first or second try. Is this normal?

4) Now this happens sometimes that after I start the engine it stops automatically after like 2 or 3 minutes and this happens specially when I give throttle a little push only. But when I go like full throttle or middle throttle it stays fine but it stops if I give throttle a tiny push in the beginning. What causes this?

5) I have a temp gun so can you please tell me what is the accepted temperature of engine. Its always hot as hell in this part of the world. So please tell me what is the accepted and alarming engine temp readings?

I have few other questions too but this post is getting too long. I ll ask those questions later. Kindly please reply to my questions.

Here are some other pictures of the car.

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) He might be, but you will never be sure unless you take off the cylinder head and measure the bore/piston diameter inside. I don't remember on the fly what the diameter should be to make it 29 ccm though.

2) Can't identify it, but what it does is amazing things for the engine compared to the stock muffler can that is on the car when new. A great upgrade.

3) This is normal. If the carb has a choke, you start it with this "on", then yank the pull start until you hear it pop and then turn the choke to off-position.

4) Could it be the needle for the idle is set a bit low on your carb that causes this? Also might be the low setting-needle on the carb.

5) Don't know, i always adjust my engine by ear to know they sounds healthy, that also means that they get enough fuel to also be cooled sufficiently.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:00 AM
kashif314

Originally Posted by Lars from Norway
1) He might be, but you will never be sure unless you take off the cylinder head and measure the bore/piston diameter inside. I don't remember on the fly what the diameter should be to make it 29 ccm though.

2) Can't identify it, but what it does is amazing things for the engine compared to the stock muffler can that is on the car when new. A great upgrade.

3) This is normal. If the carb has a choke, you start it with this "on", then yank the pull start until you hear it pop and then turn the choke to off-position.

4) Could it be the needle for the idle is set a bit low on your carb that causes this? Also might be the low setting-needle on the carb.

5) Don't know, i always adjust my engine by ear to know they sounds healthy, that also means that they get enough fuel to also be cooled sufficiently.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Yes I am sure my L/S settings need to be tuned. Will do it. Thanks once again for your help.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Lars from Norway

You're welcome. Nice to help you! A tip for you; check Youtube for detailed videos of how to tune your engine and other interesting stuff about the subject.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

2) Can you please identify this installed tuned pipe and please tell me what this do?
I think it's called a Dominator pipe, or Rear Mounted Dominator.
There's a few different ones.

Google will know more.

I have one that looks suspiciously similar which I put on a chainsaw motor.
It made it sound very angry haha.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Lars from Norway

What Dirty said above! My chainsaw motor got angry too, but with another pipe
Old 12-16-2015, 12:53 PM
rcwildman1972

if its a 29cc it will have 36 somewhere on the side of the cylinder toward the bottom.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:48 PM
jameskl

Hey mate one of the first upgrades you should do is get a killer bee kill switch it you dont have one already it will save you a lot of hassle from run aways etc , as for temps best to just run it and see i think you will be fine .