Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/4 Dune Buggy in the works

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 Dune Buggy in the works

It looks like a feasible idea to consider.... thanks! What car is that a pic of?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:19 PM
pb_paulie_b

it's a raco set-up. they used it alot on their off road cars. i jes sent you a PM......Paulie
Old 06-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Rally Central

looks like quiet te nice buggy.... i suggest u leave the chain a bit loose for a good reason... u'lll want that flex... it will save ur motor a bit.. and also it will keep the chain that length longer... i ride high powered dirtbikes.. and i keep my chain a tad too loose
Old 06-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Acs_guitars

Well I have steering now... minus the servo mount. I made bell cranks out of steel plate and u-joint tie rod ends. It is a 100% adjustible set-up like you would find on a 1/10 race buggy or stadiun truck It works pretty good, I would like a tighter turn radius, but I can work that out once I get it up and running. It looks more like a real buggy every day. I can hardly wait until I get it done.

Edit: PIC OF STEERING
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46572.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	145385  
Old 06-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Acs_guitars

NO pics yet... the sun went down too fast. I made a motor mount today also, tomarrow I will try to mount some servos and make a brake strap. I should atlest have it in operational order in with-in as little as 2 days. All I'll have left is finish work: body panels and paint.

EDIT: PIC OF MOTOR

Name:	Ca81636.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	145542  
Old 06-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Acs_guitars

ANOTHER PIC OF MOTOR

Name:	Db85573.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	145689  
Old 06-21-2004, 02:36 PM
pb_paulie_b

lookin good ace, real good! bet your losing sleep at night with it being soooo close to being finished
Old 06-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Acs_guitars

Well, I caved in and ordered a Tone 050 for the steering... the two Hitecs weren't cutting itand thanks to some convincing for Mabbj2001 I decided to lay out the $$ for the better servo. I'll use the Hitecs for my brake set-up. Now the question is... what battery do I need for the Tone servo?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:53 AM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

all you need is a 6 volt battery. I got one at batteries plus for $ 15 it was a 6 volt 5000 mah home security battery. I wanted a big battery to run 2 tone o50 + 1 1/4 scale servo. You would want a little smaller. Run the reciever to the battery and run the tone servo to the battery with the seperate wires and add a 2 amp fuse holder and a switch. You could still use the hitec servos my point was the tone is much stronger but more expensive but you will see the difference when you get it. Just be careful and make some kind of servo saver. I don't have one in my mt and I have trashed the main output gear 3 times. I figured out a way to fix it and it has lasted longer than I thought.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Acs_guitars

Well, I started it up today and encountered a problem with the radio. The throttle servo operates just fine with out the motor running, but when I get it started it moves erraticly. I am using a 2ch AM futaba radio but I plan on geting an FM radio when I have the $$. Any ideas as to what Could be wrong. The other problem was, when I did throttle it up with the rear wheels on the ground, the motor would not gain any RPM. I think this is just a problem with my gearing it too high. Any help would be appriciated.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Ark86

One thing I know that I need to do is attach a spring to the throttle to absorb the jolts from the motor. I am using a generic hitec servo though and I am going to upgrade to a larger servo for the throttle too (specifically for brakes) and the holding power will help with this as well. When I was testing it, it actually would throttle itself from the vibrations (vibrate a little and pull the throttle, rev more from the throttle, vibrate, etc, etc. ). I think you might have to gear it down some more too. I think most chainsaw engines max out at 12000 rpm, which is a lot higher than most 4-cycle engines. I'm still figuring on what sprockets to use but I know I will need at least a 40-50 tooth and another 25-30, somewhere in there. I haven't actually tried my engine on the car yet though so I am just guessing.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Acs_guitars

My throttle servo (JR racing Hi-torque w/ Metal gears) is mounted on the same mount as the engine so that they vibrate the same and as I move the motor to adjust chain tension the throttle doesn't need to be re-adjusted My reduction is currently a 6:1 and I am thinking 12:1 should do it. I just don't have room for much bigger gears.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:27 AM
mbba2002
Banned

You need a resistor plug the same type you have but with a "R". the motor is making radio interfierence. THe gearing should be at least 10:1 or more no less because of the large tires and extra weight. I think 15:1 would be better. I have my truck geared to 25:1. 6:1 is what I have on my off road truck but it has 6" tires. So the gear reduction should be around the size of the rear tires mim.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:07 AM
Acs_guitars

I am in the tweaking stages of this finally.... The new gears are on the way, I will have a final ratio of 18.9 to 1 so I think I should be good now. I also ordered a disc brake kit for a Mt. Bike which should work well. Looks like it'll be running for the 4th. Mabbj2001 - - Where would I find the Resistor plug you mentioned. Would a genaral parts store carry them or doI have to order it from an RC place?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Ark86

Are you sure you want to gear it down that much? Doing some quick math I get a top speed of 18.8mph if the engine is spinning at 12000 (very max) rpm assuming you have 10 inch tires. I'm not sure what you have. If you have 12 inch tires it comes out to 22.6mph. Mine is going to be somewhere arount 11 or 12:1 which gives me a top speed of 35-40 mph, and I think the engine will produce enough torque to launch it from a standstill fast at the gear ratio too. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:19 AM
mbba2002
Banned

check a auto parts store for the plug . ARk86 thinks that bigger tires will make it faster WRONG it will take it longer to get to top speed with no power. My off road truck has 6" tires with a 6:1 and goes 50+ mph. My monster truck has a 25:1 ratio and a top speed of 35 mph. Thats with the same motor. If you double the gear ratio and add bigger tires you would only go 25-30 mph max with a chain saw motor. thats only if he kept the weight down. Weight will affect the steering and top speed.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Ark86

ARk86 thinks that bigger tires will make it faster WRONG it will take it longer to get to top speed with no power
I'm getting really sick of this nitpicking. Bigger tires WILL make it go faster, but DECREASE acceleration. A larger gear ratio will apply more torque to the rear axle, hence MORE acceleration but LESS top speed. A smaller gear ratio will INCREASE top speed, but DECREASE the torque at the rear axle, hence less acceleration. I was mentioning the TOP speed of his car, not how fast it would take to get up to that speed. If you look at my post, I say speed (NOT acceleration). I'm assuming that he doesn't want to change his tires to a different size now that he has it all together, so he will have to chainge the gear ratio only and not the tire size. Please stop criticizing and acting like you know it all and just start giving friendly advice.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Acs_guitars

Well I have gears coming for the 18:1 , but I will also have the current gears so I can try out different combinations. I can get; 6:1 8:1 9:1 12:1 13:1 15:1 17:1 and 18:1 just by using different combinations of what I'll have. I'll start out high and gear it down as low as I can with good acceleration.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Ark86

Sounds good. It looks like you have every possibility covered
Old 06-29-2004, 10:00 AM
mbba2002
Banned

I have built 3 1/4 cars and trucks and know what I a doing. I am trying to point you people in the right direction but you insist on your way. You think your own ideas are numbers are right.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Acs_guitars

Well, there is a learning curve for every one. Your numbers and ideas may be right for you, but are not necessarily what is right for every one. You just give everything as a fact, as if you are the only one who can do this. Give them as a helpful suggestion and you won't catch so much flack... You need to be more personable on the fourms and no so arrogant about YOUR way being the ONLY way. Thousands of different roads can eventually lead to the same place, and that is the way differences in ideas go too.

That said-- I found the Resistor plug for the engine, I have yet to test it because of rainy days. This should stop the interference in my signal.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:04 AM
mbba2002
Banned

I thought you and ark86 were on a budget building this project, but my suggestions seem to be right after you spent your dough on the extra wrong parts. I just was helping you in the right direction not wasting you dough, but it did'nt help. The gear ratio you started with would have only worked with 6" tires. You should never go over the diameter of the tire. So if you tire is 10" the gear ratio should not be more than 10:1 with a 3 hp motor. If the motor has less hp than you need to gear lower. A good power to weight ratio is 10 lbs. to 1 hp. Less exp. (8lbs to 1 hp)will be faster. More (15 lbs to 1 hp) will be slower.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Acs_guitars

I have actually been more right on my estimates than wrong if you notice. All I was saying is you having nothing over any of the other people on these forums so stop acting like a know-it-all. The only thing I'll give you credit for is the spark plug, the gearing issue has been discussed with many others.- - So what? I over estimated the torque of a chainsaw motor. Oops. MOst of my changes have come from discussion with Mel, not you. To say the least I trust Mel, I have seen his project from day 1 built up. On the other hand I have seen only unrevealing, after the fact, pics of yours.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Acs_guitars

Default 1/4 Dune Buggy Update

Back on subject... I am half way to having the buggy's new gearing installed. I had a minor tracking problem with the new clutch-mounted sprocket, but a little milling fixed it quickly. I still have not installed the new plug, but I did start up and tune the engine a little. I set the idle down from it's previous chainsaw setting, which gives a smooth idle with less vibration. I also had a few reving issues which I fixed be richening the HSN. The hold-up with the gearing is actualy because of the disc brake... I have to fabricate a hub and a caliper bracket. I have the next few days off work so it should come along quickly.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:01 AM
mbba2002
Banned

You have'nt taken me up on my bet yet. So I can assume that you can't find a New Era mt truck or come up with the cash to make the bet. Your so sure I NEVER built my truck but you won't bet me. Here is your chance to make $ 5000 dollars your easy way. I never had a camera to take pictures during the building process. I built the truck in 1 quarter at college. Most people that have seen my truck and who know me, know I built it. I don't rip off or lie about what I can do. I do have 2 picture of when I finished the truck when I went to tech school. I built the truck for my final class project. I am a tool and die maker by profession and I can make what ever I want. I now can make a copy of a 1/4 scale skellenger quick change rear end along with other parts in picture.

Name:	Xv64945.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	149580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94697.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	149581  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.