Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Firehammer VS FG Marder

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Cal-Torque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehammer VS FG Marder

Someone suggested that we need a seperate thread for this, so here it is...
For all of you that are FG dieshards, please explain why you believe that we are trying to compare apples and oranges, or BMWs and Hyundais.
I'm not trying to be combative, but please explain your position.
With almost identical blueprints, why is the Marder superior? And, please don't reference the origin of the parts or where it's assembled unless you have a specific issue in that regard. It's really meaningless unless there's a proven QA problem.
I'm a keystroke away from getting a Firehammer, and I need to know why I should consider another Marder or other FG for $100s more...not including electronics.
Thanks all.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:03 AM
BadAlex

Default RE: Firehammer VS FG Marder

This is exactly what I am looking for as well. I am also ready to get the Firehammer but at the same time don't want to be one of the "beta-testers". I understand that the distributors are worried about it eating into sales. But at the same time, if the Duratrax turns out to be a piece of junk, FG will just shine through. Also, are we comparing the Marder or the Marder Race to the Firehammer? Is there much difference other than price in the race version? (gear cover, threaded shocks, wider rims). What else is different to justify the pricetag?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:02 AM
ammdrew

Marder race also has ball drive axles.

I would say a fair comparison would be a Marder to a firehammer, the firehammer comes with a plastic gear cover and small threaded shocks( in comparison), Fg offers a 2mm lexon gear cover as a option.

You may also get the large bore threaded shocks from Fg as a option.

If we are talking on the price point the Firehammer/carson/xtm are all going to win.

Street price for a 23 cc marder with a cy should be comparable to the xtm version, though most only bring in the 26cc version.

Parts support for both items should be very good.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:24 AM
USABaja5B

What kind of full size vehicle do you own? If its Chinese or Korean, then go for the Firehammer. If you bought your full size for certain reasons, then this decision should be the same. About 1/20th the price, but still the same reasons.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:42 AM
militaryguy
My Feedback: (16)

I own a marder and a firehammer. I bought the firehammer to have a second buggy. The firehammer has stood up to the same abuse I have given the marder so far. Both seem to be great, I plan to put a big bore kit on the DTX engine that came with the firehammer. The bolt paterns are exactly the same as the G230. The front upper and lower arms will fit my marder I have not tried any other parts. So far the Firehammer was the better deal. I love them both however.

Firehammer RTR with futaba FM radio $750 w/7.99 shipping Total $758

FG Marder W/G230 $726
Futaba 3PJ $150
Hitec HS-5745MG 1/4 scale digital servo $80
Jr z260 throttle servo $40
Shipping $40
Total $1036
Old 12-20-2004, 10:56 AM
BadAlex

I guess the question is then.........If I buy the Firehammer am I going to be disappointed and upgrade it to FG specs? If so I may as well pay the money up front. For example.....is the Futaba radio included good enough? If not than I'm going with a 3PJ or 3PK later. This will already bring the costs in the same ballpark as an FG. Are the shocks really smaller in comparison to the FG ones (on the base Marder or the Race version)? Are they up to the task or are the FG ones much better and able to provide more dampening? Again, an upgrade from the base model Firehammer. How much are FG shocks?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:55 PM
USABaja5B

The big problem I see is future mods. If FG were smart, they would engineer mods to only work with their models. Slight changes. The copies don't spend any money on engineering, so you wouldn't be able to keep updated.

Its just my opinion to go with the originator instead of the copies. Even if it is slightly more money, I owuld rather support the people that started the idea. If all we had were cheap copies, then no-one would innovate anything new.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Flatline74

It just seems to me that alot of people are hoping that the FireHammer or the XTM model indeed end up being junk!!! Why??? lol ... If these things are worth the 899$ we are paying for it then I would assume this would be nothing but good for the large scale hobby as a whole.

Comparing is fine but lets hear from people like Military Guy that actually own both and not from people making alot of assummptions!
Old 12-20-2004, 05:35 PM
USABaja5B

The problem is if they are junk, it causes more problems for all of us. I bought a Duratrax Evader for my 6 year old. Great for a first truck, but not anything like any of the Losi or AE models. I break a-arms and cvds cosntantly. If I didn't have a Savage, then I would've thought the hobby was for mechanics, not regular people. Its only fun if you can use it.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:00 PM
ibstar

looking at where the guys are from it looks like the marder is cheaper here in the uk.
while the firehammer is cheaper in the us
Old 12-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Flatline74

Again I do not think Duratrax made anything on the Firehammer , not sure who did but it wasn't them....And I have a Savage, Mammoth ,Monster Pirate, RC10GT, Mini T , Maxx, and a Mad Force ... Only one that I have not really had any troubles at all with was the RC10GT, And only Losi I have owned was the Mini T and that thing while fun was complete junk out of the box.... Sooo hmm I should consider anything else with the Losi name to be junk? Of course not!!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Flatline74

But with all this said I do however want the Beetle body from the FG buggy to some how fit on the Firehammer Anyone that can maybe help me out with ideas on how to accomplish this would be appreciated!!
Old 12-20-2004, 06:20 PM
USABaja5B

With the Beetle body being over $100, you have to add that into the cost calculation.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Flatline74

Not worried about the "cost calc" I just want a beetle body to fit [sm=bananahead.gif]...
Old 12-20-2004, 07:29 PM
ammdrew

monster beetle mounts should not be hard to adapt, and then you just need to ream holes.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:05 PM
BadAlex

another question.............how different is the chassis layout if any? Are the gears the same or similar? Is the wheelbase/chassis length the same? What I'm getting at is this.......FG already has the 4wd option on the way. If it won't fit the Firehammer than that is another plus for the marder.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Flatline74

Ammdrew where could I buy the body and underbody and hardware??? I prefer somewhere in the US. But I will buy it from where I can get it I guess lol ....
Old 12-20-2004, 08:49 PM
mnf1sand

flatline74, find a dealer near you on the MolzerMoweryRacing.com dealer page. Any dealer can order one tommorrow if they don't have one in stock.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:06 AM
moneyplays

I would just save a little longer and get the Lauterbacher super cross, there is nothing else like it in its league. I like FG and am considering an evo 4 but for offroad the super x shines.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Big5th

OK.... I can make this simple......what are your plans for the buy, beating around the "hood" or throwin down on a group of gents at the local track?if your looking for a fun time it doesnt have to cost a fourtune...if your lookin to put the smak down on someone get the race proven car simple.[8D]
Old 12-21-2004, 08:11 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Were have you seen the firehammer for $750 . I see $900 - $ 90 on sale now @ tower hobbies.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Flatline74

Yea I was wondering the samething for the 750$ ... I paid 817$ for mine from tower plus the 15$ gift certificate
Old 12-21-2004, 08:56 PM
mbba2002
Banned

If you were a tower member you could have saved shipping and gotten a free $40 gift. So be a member and SAVE.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:10 PM
militaryguy
My Feedback: (16)

How I got it for $750 I had a coupon for 100 off and two 15 dollar gift certificates
Old 12-22-2004, 01:52 PM
mbba2002
Banned

Well that is not a official advertised price for everyone. What is advertised is $899- $90 any other specials or coupons are not available to everyone. You could have even saved more if you were a tower club member.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.