Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 01:45 PM
keebler
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ?

ORIGINAL: savage Instinct

anxiously awaiting the arrival of my firehammer, ordered from tower hobbies 869 total , will post more info when i recieve and get to play. current toys, savage, nitro rush / worked over,rtr3 evo with lola body and losi lst .
i already have the fg marder and i love it." 50 MPH" right out of the box,about 1200.00 invested
in it,had to buy radio gear and extra stuff (failsafe)ETC.. i also just ordered the firehammer .,,,you sure got a deal on the hammer if you got for it 869!!! i ordered mine 2-10-2005 and the total is $899.00.. i ordered mine from tower hobbies ! they are only 47 miles from my front door
mine wont be in till late feb. of early march!![]
i do know one thing,these don't get near as hot as the nitro's do,and you get 30 or 40 minutes running on one tank of gas

here's my marder with nitro quake tires and wheels on...(more insane now)..lol
Old 02-13-2005, 03:22 PM
funshawstud

Hey keebler your tires are cool dont ya love em !!!! I couldnt ever go back now
BIGGER IS BETTER
Hot bodies tmaxx savage rims and tires 6 inch diameter running on coleman fuel. went from wow thats fast to blistering fast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83221.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	228863  
Old 02-13-2005, 04:55 PM
keebler

i love your buggy the only reason i used "quake" tires is cause thats wat i had laying around extra.
i would like the savage setup like yours,but im stuck with wat i had here (still great)
these are 6 5/8" diameter tires in the tower specs. but i measured mine and it looks more like 7" ?
i like the tread on yours. looks like you would get better traction than i do..lol
how does the white gas run? i have heard of using it but, i'm leary till i hear how it does?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 02-13-2005, 05:18 PM
funshawstud

white gas is awsome
absolutly no problems just a slight needle change
I have run it for the last 10 tanks now and have had NO issues I actually think it runs better.
I also havent had a plug foul since I started using it , wont ever go back to gas
O YA AND NO SMELL ! ( or very very small smell compaired to gas )
I highly recomend it. I use 25 ml of oil to 1L coleman camp fuel.
The hot bodies tires are very cool as well , They actually spin just as good as the small tires in regards to traction. Took apart the drive train gears clutch etc tonight to check for extra wear and nothing seemed to jump out at me !
The best part of the big tires is the amount of high end speed gained WOW
I am working on a set of regular quake tires right now on my own design heavy duty rims as you cant buy the hot bodies style rubber they are all pre mounts.
If you want to swear at somthing try to get a hotbodies tire of the rim !
Old 02-13-2005, 05:26 PM
keebler

wen i run mine in my back yard all i see is (TWIN ROOSTER TAILS OF GRASS)...with little tires or the big ones..[sm=bananahead.gif] wow crazy..lol
Old 02-13-2005, 05:28 PM
FGUK
Banned

ORIGINAL: funshawstud

I am working on a set of regular quake tires right now on my own design heavy duty rims as you cant buy the hot bodies style rubber they are all pre mounts.
If you want to swear at somthing try to get a hotbodies tire of the rim !
Have you tried boiling them? Big pan of water for around 20 minutes, if they're completly covered or 20 mins a side if not?

MIND YOUR FINGERS!!!!!!

They will retain the heat and the ends of your fingers will blister up and drop off!!!

Be careful, just get them out of the water with tongs and leave them to cool for a while........... the glue will be dissolved and they just peel off!
Old 02-13-2005, 07:32 PM
funshawstud

COOL never thought of that
I used the nail polish remover method of disolving the C/A .......... needed a few beers when I was done !
Old 02-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Portyansky
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ???

WOW thanks for all the info guys.And thanks to smaerd for starting this. This is the first site that i found good info on the firehammer.I have started to sell all my electric stuuf to save up money to buy 1. And i definetly was on the fence,but these threads pushed over into the lap of the firhammer.Thanks

So where can i get the adaptors to change from the rims that it comes with to T-Maxx Rims? I dont know if you guys have seen the big Joes 40 series rims and tires, but on the t-maxx there is nothing better. They are even better for jumping.

And as for the people that bash the firehammer, i guess everyone has an opinion, my opinion is that why not get something similar if you are getting a complete system and more( fm radio, fail safe, batteries) for less money and a better warranty, and turns out to be better than they thought.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:56 AM
34Ford
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Savage instinct and keebler and myself makes 3 more soon to be Hammer owners.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:56 AM
keebler

not too sure if t-maxx rims would hold up to this speed and torque,
Old 02-14-2005, 06:23 PM
34Ford

This may have been mentioned before but anyone heard of Global Services Parts in Fountain Valley CA?

They apparently only sell parts. Here is their XTM stuff. Always good to have more choices.

http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/part/14630001.asp
Old 02-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Portyansky

those 2 pictures that iluimu81 put on his posting, one is a firehammer and one is a fg , will that body work on the firehammer and also will those rims/tires work with the hammer?[&:]
Old 02-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Flatline74

I also want to know if I can get the Monster Beetle conversion to work on the Firehammer?!@?!?! I found one located at this place http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/ for 325$ but I wanted to be very sure everything would work with little or no mods
Old 02-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Portyansky

for you guys that have the firehammer.
What parts do you find that you are breaking the most?
I see that tower sell aluminun steering knuckles as a hop up, would that be one the the parts?
its just that when im readdy to buy mine which is gonna be in 2 weeks i want spare parts. Just the essentials.Also how noisy are they?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:54 AM
34Ford

Well, Fedex is delivering mine friday.

And if I break something at least I work in the CNC dept. so I can make my own aluminum parts.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Portyansky

Did you guys change your air filters to a k&n? Thats what a freind of mine told me to do before i even take the hammer outside.He has had a few 1/5 scale cars and says that this is one of the biggest problems.He does a lot of dirt racing though.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:18 PM
kidd

i bored the center of the stock air filter out and slid it over the k&n. i just didn't fully trust the k&n alone.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:03 PM
supdave97

Hey guys, new to the board here and I really like this thread. I have the XTM buggy. The only other weedeater experience is boats.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146300.asp

I bought it two months ago and have run 20 plus tanks of fuel through it. IT IS the same as the Carson, Firehammer, FG to name only a few. There are minor differences between the FG and the other three, however, parts are (so far) interchangeable. If you look at the suppliers for these buggies (Tower, Global/Hobby people, Molzer), you'll find that prices are competitive, supply is slowly coming in, and support from all three are excellent! The problem with FG that I understand, is price. My friend (who has the FG) and I compared the two side by side. With the exception of the FG's steel pinion gear, and slight body difference, we can't find anyuthing to gripe about in either of them (except that he paid almost $300 more, and had to wait for it to get shipped). Someone summed it up earlier in this thread. Parts are parts. If anyone can supply them to hobby folks at a lesser price, hobby folks are going to buy them!!

I've added the K&N conical filter with the velocity stack/adapter, and the XTM tuned pipe.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146500.asp

After tweaking the low/high needle settings (lean), I found that this thing rips! Using a good old fashioned KA band radar gun, and with rear tires smokin' in the dirt, We got an average 36 mph out of this thing! Not bad for a rear wheel drive buggy that wants to burn tires off, and therefore offer very little traction (you'll burn through rear tires fairly quickly). I paid $749 through Hobby People w/o radio gear (didn't need any). I think that the price alone was the single biggest factor for me, followed closely by the fact that I only drove 15 minutes, laid down my cash to get the thing, and drove 15 minutes back home. No waiting for up to two or three months for delivery. I've jumped this thing five feet, rolled it several times, unintentionally hit fixed objects, etc. This thing is strong to say the least. There is one weak link:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/inc/bigim...h=75&height=46

The front body post mount breaks with every severe front end impact (easy fix and/or replacement). Also, the left rear of the body does need to be cut away slightly to accomodate the tuned pipe (for those who are self conscience about looks). Otherwise, this thing is totally cool, durable and runs for a long time! I use a 32:1 mix of Honda full synthetic race oil and 90 octane. The engine runs strong, idles smoothly, and gets to max rpm quickly.

The other day at my favorite dirt field, a guy showed up with his Savage. Mine stayed parked on the tailgate of my pickup. Laters, Steve.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:55 PM
kidd

hey supdave97.
hows the xtm tuned pipe. i've been considering it because of hobby peoples shipping. did it raise the bottom end performance?
ORIGINAL: supdave97

Hey guys, new to the board here and I really like this thread. I have the XTM buggy. The only other weedeater experience is boats.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146300.asp

I bought it two months ago and have run 20 plus tanks of fuel through it. IT IS the same as the Carson, Firehammer, FG to name only a few. There are minor differences between the FG and the other three, however, parts are (so far) interchangeable. If you look at the suppliers for these buggies (Tower, Global/Hobby people, Molzer), you'll find that prices are competitive, supply is slowly coming in, and support from all three are excellent! The problem with FG that I understand, is price. My friend (who has the FG) and I compared the two side by side. With the exception of the FG's steel pinion gear, and slight body difference, we can't find anyuthing to gripe about in either of them (except that he paid almost $300 more, and had to wait for it to get shipped). Someone summed it up earlier in this thread. Parts are parts. If anyone can supply them to hobby folks at a lesser price, hobby folks are going to buy them!!

I've added the K&N conical filter with the velocity stack/adapter, and the XTM tuned pipe.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146500.asp

After tweaking the low/high needle settings (lean), I found that this thing rips! Using a good old fashioned KA band radar gun, and with rear tires smokin' in the dirt, We got an average 36 mph out of this thing! Not bad for a rear wheel drive buggy that wants to burn tires off, and therefore offer very little traction (you'll burn through rear tires fairly quickly). I paid $749 through Hobby People w/o radio gear (didn't need any). I think that the price alone was the single biggest factor for me, followed closely by the fact that I only drove 15 minutes, laid down my cash to get the thing, and drove 15 minutes back home. No waiting for up to two or three months for delivery. I've jumped this thing five feet, rolled it several times, unintentionally hit fixed objects, etc. This thing is strong to say the least. There is one weak link:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/inc/bigim...h=75&height=46

The front body post mount breaks with every severe front end impact (easy fix and/or replacement). Also, the left rear of the body does need to be cut away slightly to accomodate the tuned pipe (for those who are self conscience about looks). Otherwise, this thing is totally cool, durable and runs for a long time! I use a 32:1 mix of Honda full synthetic race oil and 90 octane. The engine runs strong, idles smoothly, and gets to max rpm quickly.

The other day at my favorite dirt field, a guy showed up with his Savage. Mine stayed parked on the tailgate of my pickup. Laters, Steve.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:02 PM
34Ford

Welcome Supdave,

Get the rest of your buddies to visit. Its nice to see peoples mods and ideas.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:02 AM
supdave97

Kidd, it eliminated the nagging out of the hole "bogg" that needle mods just wouldn't cure. It is decent quality, but lacks any directions for body mods, etc. So, you'll just have to use your imagination. Also, you'll need to do some fuel line re-routing, so buy some extra fuel line and connectors, Steve.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:04 AM
supdave97

One other thing. I only live 25 miles from Fountain Valley, and although I was too lazy to drive to pick it up, it came in two days standard mail.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:16 AM
savage Instinct

just revieved mine via fed ex and tower hobby, beefy looking machine, took some pics of it while its still clean. link to pics[&:] http://24.184.10.128:69/knkhosting8/...web/index.html will post more info and pics when i get a chance to fire this bad boy up and run
Old 02-17-2005, 08:52 AM
keebler

just wondering when you ordered yours?
i ordered mine the 10th. of feb. i was hoping this is a sign that i'll be getting mine soon!!!!
i hope it means they (tower) got them in stock now...
dang i just checked with them and now they say late march....[&o]
Old 02-17-2005, 09:39 AM
supdave97

Awesome! Hopefully it won't be that clean for long. Congrats!! Oh, I picked up 3M industrial silicone lube for the whole car. That stuff works awesome. Keeps the tires pliable, gears lubed, suspension lubed, etc. Even makes the body shine at the end of the day. One thing......after your first HARD use, take a little time to re-tighten everything. I didn't, and unknowingly lost a couple of screws. Most of the stuff is lock-tighted at the factory (whichever one that is), but some is not. That car is identical to the XTM. I broke in the motor on two tanks of 32:1, and concentrated a lot on keeping the thing at low and mid range, with an occasional blip to break the tires loose. After two tanks, the thing was ready to rip!!!!! Enjoy, Steve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.