Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

4WD FG MT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Apache-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4WD FG MT?

For me this is new.
So FG will not bring a set to the market to convert a MB/MT or Marder from 2WD to a 4WD, instead they will bring a fully new car?
[sm=confused.gif]

If so, are there any details known?
Will it be similair to a MB or another MT or available as Buggy?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:28 PM
chevyman_de

No, you've got me wrong. They'll bring both, a conversion kit and a completely new car. The new car will be a buggy.
There are no confirmed detailes available. Actually FG is testing different drivetrain designs.

Most of us would like to see a shaft driven car, similar to most 1/8 scale buggies. Me too. There already is a prototype car from WWS designed that way. It showed an unexpected problem. The high rotating masses of the large scale engines create a gyro effect. We use it to control the car during jumps. Step on the gas and the car will raise its nose, hit the brake... well, you know. But this time with a longitudinal mounted engine the car tilts to the left or the right. Not very useful.

MCD makes a shaft driven 4wd with a conventionally installed engine. That makes for a cluttered drivetrain.

Belts or chains are complicated when you want to go for a 3-diff setup.

You see, we should not expect that new FG 4wd car for as early as 2006. However, it will come. It's just a question of when.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:47 PM
kidd

sounds like there are alot of issues with putting 4wd on a car designed to be 2wd. since the post i left in the ultimate monster truck thread got deleted i guess i'll let everyone know i'm working on a shaft driven 4wd setup that's only going to cost $200 to $300 buying parts at retail prices. i can't say more until i get it tested and maybe look into getting it patented. it's not a conventional shaft driven setup and will add minimal weight.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Apache-

Chevyman, thanks for clearing up.[sm=thumbup.gif]

I can imagine very well there will be a gyro effect due to higher mass rotating. That is an ugly thing to solve, put the engine back the way it was seems the best option to me to get rid of this. Making an anti roll movement to take away this gyro effect... can't think of it how to generate that being connected with the RPM of the engine. It will be a difficult job.

You state a 3 dif drive. This would make the ultimate 4WD and a 3rd dif would be especialy needed when driving on-road.
But when going off-road I gues it is less important, the car is more forgiving and can slide on the surface quite a lot even on astroturf underlayer it would work I think.
I wonder where to place the 3rd dif, should be somewhere in the middle of the car. At the MT and the MB there isn't much space to get it in. The 4WD when it will function well is something I realy look forward to. I can imagine it will add so much easier control and much faster cornering to the car, it will be a blast to drive! All the HP onto 4 wheels would love to see that taking off.

Great to hear the new car will be a buggy, that is exactly what I would like.

Kidd, you make me very curious...
A patent ain't easy to get and will take usualy a long time.
Please update us once you got your kit running, if possible with some small vid so we can see the performance.
Would love to see that and I gues all other people here as well.

On one hand I am eager to get a 4WD a.s.a.p.
On the other hand I am very happy they did not release it yet though there is I gues huge interest. I appreciate it they try taking out the mistakes before dropping it on the market.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:15 PM
JRexA

I just received an e-mail from Kamitiro.de, they now have a lot more detailed pics of their 4WD system on http://www.kamitiro.de
Old 07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
daytona7

Hey Kidd,
How goes the testing of the conversion kit? If I could get a 4WD conversion for the price you mentioned, I'd keep my MT.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Automan

JRexA, thanks for the info [sm=thumbup.gif] But we got it the first time no need to post same info 3times
Old 07-20-2005, 04:53 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kid, patent process costs 2k+ to do. Not to mention the lawyers and detailed cad drawings that you will need to supply. By the time its all done and over the RC that you designed it for is obsolete. Since shaft driven is not exactly an original concept and it can only really be done way I also think you find it hard to patent.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

$200-$300 would be nice for 4WD. Man, I've seen some of them that are outrageously priced.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Don803

I'M NEW TO THIS AS YOU CAN TELL, BUT THANK YOU FOR HEADING ME TO WARD THE mcd SITE. mcd (SBRACING) UK. WE GOT T-MAX, ASSC. GT, GEN .46 & FIREHAMMER. NOW GRAPA is going to add big 4wd to this. Grankids are having fun, but not as much as grapa. Also does anyone know where i can get a large magnet mate for work table. the ones we've so far will not hold anything. again thonk's for the help. Don