Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG MT durability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 06:50 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG MT durability?

I saw a guy on here say that to properly own an FG MT that you'd probably have to invest a good $3000 to keep it up? Is this only if you bash a lot or is this just because it needs it to stay running?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Mad Wax

Default RE: FG MT durability?

Dunno of the US prices, but at least £200 on radio gear (steering 1/4 scale servo, throttle/brake servo, battery, TX & RX) depends on how you smash into walls and things, of course if you do need to repair it and then it's expensive for certain parts (some more than others) but the usual wear and tear/replacement of parts is pretty cheap (except tyres -esp monster tyres)

$3000 is pushing it, I think that's if you want to replace the lot with alloy parts, tuned pipe, you don't need all-alloy parts (they're quite expensive, so costly if you need to replace them)
Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

So you don't think that everyday wear and tear would cost that much? If I would get one I wouldn't bash it, just run it hard on-road and some running through grass and some mud. I know they're not cheap but I don't wanna put as much money as it would cost to buy say a four-wheeler, dirt bike, go-cart or something much larger that I can ride.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Mad Wax

As long as you're not unlucky with fried servos, runaways involving lots of damage, hitting hard objects resulting in damage...no. Course you can't predict if/when/how you'll damage it. I hardly spent any money on my first Marder- nothing broke except for spur/pinion gears. £8 to repace both. But I've spent alot of money to replace parts on my Leopard that I've damaged (new car too, less than 1 month!) Around £400 on repairs - Pipe/header, complete radio gear, brake/gear/spur & pinion carrier. Just unlucky.

If you break things like A arms only something like £6 each so not that bad. Socket joints £2.50 for 4.

Ignoring crashes, just need gas/oil mix, filter oil consumables. Then tyres and pinion/spur gears for longer lasting (but still consumable) parts. Going for a Buggy will save you money (buy the cheaper tyres & rims instead) I think the MT 4xset is £140? Wheras £100 for Buggy set.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:44 PM
jimbo1890

Mad Wax
Going for a Buggy will save you money (buy the cheaper tyres & rims instead) I think the MT 4xset is £140? Wheras £100 for Buggy set.
That may be true but I think the big chevron MT tyres and wheels are much more fun for bashing and general running around than the spiked buggy tyres and they seem to last a lot longer too.

If you are a bit of a Bower bird and like shiney things you will spend $3000.00 eventually, don't fool yourself.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:50 PM
madgti

ctwitty,

You don't need 3k to keep up the MT. I Have some new vids on my pc and i will post them when i have a chance time to edit the videos. I took a jump and my truck was over my head atleast 8 feet in the air and i didn't break a part and i don't have the crazy aftermarket alloy. All i lost from my truck is one screw By the way these things are durable just pic your jumps wisely and close your eyes on the landing
Old 07-19-2005, 05:54 AM
original.mb

in general the fg trucks are very tuff straight of the production line but you can make the bullet proof for a cost
Old 07-19-2005, 10:27 AM
daytona7

Anyone know if $1300 USD is too much for an FG MT with a Zenoah 260, 3PK radio, servos, receiver, New Bright Hummer body and new painted but unmounted truck body?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Mad Wax

Brand new or second hand? What servos?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:04 AM
strong_material
My Feedback: (1)

the FG MT5 is a great truck and it is very sturdy. Just make sure that you dont go cheap on your radio equipment and get a decent failsafe if your radio doesn't come with one. The only parts that you will change/add are tuned pipe, spur gear carrier (alloy will be a lot better and will not strip). Aside from these two, you are set unless the trees dont run for their life when you come driving by.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:44 AM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

isn't there another post somewhere asking the same question?, might be worth searchin. If you don't want to spend money on one of these trucks, DON'T BUY ONE!!! cost can be according to how you drive, and how much crap you want to buy for it.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:51 PM
daytona7

Has not even had a full tank of gas run through it yet so I do not know what you would call it. Body had been painted except for the front bolt on and never mounted for other than a picture. Hummer body was gutted out leaving only the lights and have attached a box with a 9 volt battery. Steering servo 1/4 scale Futaba 3302 and I think a Hitech for the gas/throttle, can't tell as I have a balloon over it. HRS and PCM receivers with the Futaba 3PK plus about 12 new ceramic bearings. There are no upgrades, only stock.