Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Lower the COG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:03 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lower the COG?

I am trying to reduce the likelihood of rolling my FG when driving on road because I do not want to scuff my new shell...I put too much work into it.

What do you think is the best way to lower the center of gravity on a Monster Beetle? I changed the shock oil to 40 in the front and 50 in the back, but I have not driven it yet, to see if there was a significant change in ride height (still waiting for parts to arrive before I reassemble).

When I tighten the grub screws on the wishbones the wheels do not roll flat on the ground, so I was considering cutting the springs. Is that a really bad idea?

Are there softer springs available to replace the stock springs? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 07-22-2005, 12:16 AM
skulldoctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lower the COG?

how bout some pics of your new shell job!!! b4 u scuff it up
Old 07-22-2005, 05:52 AM
Mad Wax

Buy on road truck tyres and wheels and just change them over, after all MB/MT is very prone doing the dieing fly
Old 07-22-2005, 06:18 AM
jimbo1890

Buying the racing truck tyres won't solve the rollover problem mine still rolls. You will need front/rear anti roll bars and shorter springs.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:16 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I agree with the shorter spring idea, but I'm hesitant to cut mine because if it does not work out well, I will have to wait for new springs to arrive. [&o] I think that softer springs may be the answer, but I have not been able to find any information about alternative FG springs.
I'm thinking about going to one of the local hobby shops to see if they have anything that may work, but I am not very confident since they do not seem carry anything larger than 1:8 scale. Maybe the Losi LST springs would fit...I have not seen them in person, but I know they are BIG.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:22 AM
jimbo1890

Just a thought to see how it goes. Use cable ties to squeeze up the bottom half of the springs you have now looks ugly but will give you some idea
Old 07-23-2005, 09:36 AM
deeppaul
My Feedback: (8)

I think the LST springs would be way to big and to weak. I put the 40wt oil im my shocks and it made a big diff. Another thing you can do is adjust your stops. If you crank them down you can lower the truck. With the new shock oil, removing the spring spacers, removing sway bar and adjusting the stopeers my MT handles awsome and don't have a prob. with flipping. I also switched my rear tires so they face backwards and that seems to help it slide a little more in therear.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:02 AM
jimbo1890

Those grubscrews on the wishbones are not there to adjust ride height they are there to adjust droop. If you use them your car won't handle nearly as well as if you cut your springs.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:01 PM
deeppaul
My Feedback: (8)

Jimbo I was noy aware of that about the grubscrews. So should they be screwed all of the way out? When you say droop do you mean just to adjust one side of the car? I am using them to adjust how high the front rides vrs. the rear.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:32 PM
jimbo1890

Deep paul those grubscrews are there to control how much down stroke the suspension has from rest. for example we are on concrete with on road tyres with the grubscrews screwed down when turning left into a corner the right front suspension compresses which amongst other things causes the left rear suspension to decompress. With that grubscrew screwed right down it does not allow the left rear suspension to come down to keep the tyre in contact with the road surface ie "droop" therefore the inside rear wheel spins uncontrollably no matter how good your diff is you loose time on the racetrack.

Mate, I don't race because there are no local clubs over here but there are guys out there that after years of racing still have trouble getting there head around some of these concepts.

I have PMed you a link to some real good info on this. According to Forum guidelines I can't post the link here.