Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Engine Rubbing Question w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 02:11 AM
avery4jc
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rubbing Question w/ Pics

Hey guys I busted my pullstart and to make a long story short while I was waiting for my metal version to get here I went to the local small engine (jensen and watts) shop which is very trustworty to see if they happen to have a replacement...they didn't but they all had the idea of using an impact wrench to try and start it, that sounded like it made sence to me and hey, their the experts right???? Well I guess their the experts on zenoah's...not zenoah RC. The nut overtightened and then whenever you turned the engine over it was rubbing something, they said it was probably the coil on the magnets attached to the fan so I said don't worry, I'll just reset the ignition spacing when I get home......

I get home and pull it apart and found that the spacing for the ignition is perfect (business card thickness all around) but what is happening is the fan was pressed too far back on the coned shaft (like the technical term there ) so we undid everything and inspected it and reinstalled it properly so that nothing rubs.....what my question is, is will the centrifugal force of the fan spinning pull it out slightly on the coned output shaft to pull the backside of picture one (below) away from picture two? When I turn it over by hand it scrapes ever so slightly but when I turn it over and pull just a bit it doesn't. I really don't think that it'd matter anyways as long as it doesn't hit the coil above it'll just eventually just rub smooth and it really isn't that much friction. I was just wanting to check though and see if the force of it spinning will pull it out enough to take up the small play on the shaft between it and the flanged nut to pull it away from picture two, or if the small play on the shaft (forward and backwards) is like that from the factory anyways and I just now noticed it? Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98494.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	300101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83163.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	300102  
Old 07-22-2005, 03:26 AM
jimbo1890

Default RE: Engine Rubbing Question w/ Pics

It sounds to me like your Zenoah experts were actually idiots and their impact gun had way too much torque and has stretched the centre hole in the flywheel making it sit further back on the crankshaft. It should still run ok if that is the only damage done just get a grinder and grind away any aluminium on the crankcase ie the plate behind so the flywheel clears ok. Don't take anything off the flywheel it will loose its balance.

BTW battery drills have plenty of torque to start these engines
Old 07-22-2005, 04:03 AM
jeepfreak1972

Also, I've tried that method to start with an 18 volt cordless drill and you have to spin it oposite of tight to start it. My nut flew off as soon as it started. Why were they spinning it the wrong way? Where do you get a metal pull starter at? Are you just talking about the aluminum ratchet you can buy from BH Hanson?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:56 AM
avery4jc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: jeepfreak1972

Also, I've tried that method to start with an 18 volt cordless drill and you have to spin it oposite of tight to start it. My nut flew off as soon as it started. Why were they spinning it the wrong way? Where do you get a metal pull starter at? Are you just talking about the aluminum ratchet you can buy from BH Hanson?
Yeah just the aluminum ratchet from BH Hanson...it should be here any day now.

Thanks guys...I thought about putting a small washer on to space it out a tiny bit but I didn't want to have the friction build up by it rubbing all of the time....

So you guys don't think that since Ileft some play in the fan that it will pull itself away from the crankcase once it starts to spin? It is just barely touching so I thought that it might.