Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Removed monster tires from the rims?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Removed monster tires from the rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:25 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removed monster tires from the rims?

I know that boiling the rims and tires for about 20 or 30 minutes will release the CA glue, so the tires will come off of the rims. Ive done it on 1:10 and 1:8 scale cars, but has anyone every tried it with these huge monster tires (MB/MT)? [sm=confused.gif]

The reason I ask is that while I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I want to reglue my MB tires. I did a pretty crappy job the first time and they are winky wonky.

Thanks!
Jason
Old 07-25-2005, 10:30 PM
hpiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Removed monster tires from the rims?

Use acetone, or cheaper yet use nail poish remover (same thing). LOTS of it.

It will loosen the glue.

I've boiled, but only when I wanted the rim and not the tire. Usually the tire was ruined and sometimes the rims warped. But the smaller scale rims are usually nylon, not plastic.

At the price of the FG stuff I'd try the polish remover first. Pour it in thick and wait for the glue to loosen. Clean and dry the wheel and reglue.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:37 AM
RC_Feen
My Feedback: (1)

I boiled mine and the rims and tires were OK. I would use a NON-acetone polish remover though. I'm pretty sure that the acetone would etch the plastic wheel. I know that at my work we use 100% acetone alot and if you get it on clear plastic or lexan it will put a frosty haze on it. This is accually the plastic being etched away. If you do use acetone I would test it on a wheel that you won't be too concerned if it gets damaged. Like hpiguy said "FG stuff isn't cheap".
Old 07-26-2005, 01:00 AM
hpiguy

Yeah it can etch the rim, but I think it is diluted in the nail polish remover.

I've used it on my chrome plated R/C rims before and they didn't have any problems.

But yes, test it first, just in case. Like on the back side of one rim, and make sure it doesn't drip or run to the good side until you know for sure.

Or go to the hardware store and see if they have super glue debonder. More expensive, but we're talking about $240 dollar wheel and tire sets here. The price of a good RTR 1/10th electric.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:56 AM
RC_Feen

hpiguy....Do you know if that super glue debonder will remove the leftover glue crust that remains on the tire after you get it off the rim? I have some FG street slick that I need to get the remaining glue crust off the tire before I re-mount them on some new wheels. Also were can I pick up some super glue debonder? I've checked Lowes and Home Depot but neither one carried it. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:45 PM
hpiguy

Try any hobby store. They'll have it for sure.

It's basically diluted acetone.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Microwave on low heat for one minute
Old 07-27-2005, 04:58 PM
icecreamslick

Are you serious...you have microwaved your monster tires off of their wheels? [sm=stupid.gif]

That is insane!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:00 PM
USABaja5B

Boiling is the easiest on a barbecue grill. No fumes inside the house, and it works well.

Nail polish remover is not acetone based any more. It won't work as well as regular acetone.

I've never heard of using a microwave, but that should work, as long as your not using aluminum rims. You just need to ge the rim above 200 F, so the CA starts to crystalize.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:10 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Just wondering....would the chrome on a wheel react with the microwave like a regular metal would?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:31 PM
dazzahughesuk

I HEARD THIS THE OTHER DAY, sorry caps lock now off.

Put the oven on full blast for 10-15 ish mins, then turn it off, then put your MT rims in. the heat melts the clue.
not tried it my self tho.
Darren
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 PM
daytona7

ORIGINAL: icecreamslick

Are you serious...you have microwaved your monster tires off of their wheels? [sm=stupid.gif]

That is insane!

There is a VERY narrow line between an RC car owner and INSANITY
Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
RC_Feen

daytona7....I hear ya! As far as the boiling method I would suggest doing it outside if you have a gas grill with a side burner. I did mine in the house one night and I caught all kinds of hell from my wife. Even though that the tires & wheels were clean the aroma in the air wasn't to my wifes liking. The glue crystalizes and then you can get the tires of the wheels. The next thing you'll need to do is clean the remaining crystalized glue off the tires.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Rampede

hey pigsmightfly ur dumb and full of crap U CAN NOT microwave a tire off the rim not tryin to be an ass but if u know how a microwave works u should know u have to have some sort of liquid
it works by heating the liquid thats why when u try to melt a candle in a microwave it stays cool and also if u try to microwave a piece of plastic it dont work NO LIQUID sorry man its the facts so icecreamslick dont waste ur time tryin.......
Old 07-28-2005, 10:00 PM
icecreamslick

I'm not sure if a microwave will work or not, but there is no reason to bash anyone on this forum. I know that you are new around here, and you may have participated in other forums where people are generally harsh, but we are all here to help one another.

If you have a difference of opinion then please state it...in a kind way. Otherwise, you may have difficulty getting positive responses from people who would normally like to help out.

Sorry. I did not mean to sound all parenty.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Rampede

lol yes dad....i am 14 of course but it just irritates me when people act like they know what they're talkin about when they really dont cus its false info and its a waste of time..........check out my thread its umm help new to 1/6 scale
Old 07-28-2005, 10:51 PM
drevil

ORIGINAL: Rampede

hey pigsmightfly ur dumb and full of crap U CAN NOT microwave a tire off the rim not tryin to be an ass but if u know how a microwave works u should know u have to have some sort of liquid
it works by heating the liquid thats why when u try to melt a candle in a microwave it stays cool and also if u try to microwave a piece of plastic it dont work NO LIQUID sorry man its the facts so icecreamslick dont waste ur time tryin.......
Regardless of whether it works or not calling somebody dumb because you dont agree with their solution (which you havent tried by the way) will get you nowhere fast.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:44 AM
jimbo1890

Rampede. No one likes a smart guy especially when they don't have a clue what they are on about. I just placed a FG 1/5 scale onroad wheel and tyre in my microwave for 20 seconds and the tyre came out quite hot though the wheel stayed cool.

My understanding is that microwaves work by exciting water molecules. this molecular vibration causes heat. Rubber contains water molecules and therefore gets hot in a microwave.

You are both new here and young as compaired to most people on this forum so I'll give you some friendly advice, Flaiming someone and calling them an "ASS" is just not done here!

Everyone here has an opinion on just about any subject you care to name but when you state a FACT make sure you are correct or you end up looking like a "GOOSE"
Old 07-29-2005, 07:07 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: jimbo1890
My understanding is that microwaves work by exciting water molecules. this molecular vibration causes heat. Rubber contains water molecules and therefore gets hot in a microwave.

I've heard this exact same thing but difference was they recommended soaking the tire/wheel assembly in water first. Maybe it was for the rubber to absorb water? I'm not sure but I've tried it with a plastic wheel off my t-maxx and it worked. The tire itself got hot but the rim was cool...tire pulled right off without a problem after I dropped it on the floor and chased it around a litte bit cause it was damn hot lol...WEAR GLOVES unlike me. I had it in for 1 minute and it's a 1500 watt microwave. Wish I would had this on video was amusing as all hell but hell yeah microwave worked on my chromed/plastic tmaxx wheels.

And Rampede your clueless and wrong.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Rampede

O sorry guys i was told he had to get the RIM hot not the tire and yah i also didnt know rubber had molecules in it i still dont think it does it might have very little sorry bout that but i would still have to see it to believe it DONT BE HATIN!!
Old 07-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Rampede

im gonna go test it myself......... ok that didnt go how i expected lol the tire did get super hot but not cus the microwave but cus the chrome plate on the rim and it melted the crap out of my front rim/ tire
Old 07-29-2005, 08:15 AM
jimbo1890

Rampede a forum is about the exchange of ideas and information, Badz and I both gave first hand experiences and you still cast doubts.

Rubber has lots of molecules in it. Actually it is made of molecules. there is the LATEX molecule which is produced naturally by the rubber tree, there is also sulfur which acts as a vulcanising agent which bonds the latex molecules together to make the rubber harder and more wear resistant and lots of other stuff in there including water colouring agents etc.

Much better to be sure of your facts on this forum.

Takes a man to admit his mistakes!!
Old 07-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Rampede

yeah typo dude i didnt write water molecules i know
im not retarded dude thats y i said verry little god! it was a mistake! i forgot the water
Old 07-29-2005, 09:19 AM
drevil

ORIGINAL: Rampede

im gonna go test it myself......... ok that didnt go how i expected lol the tire did get super hot but not cus the microwave but cus the chrome plate on the rim and it melted the crap out of my front rim/ tire
How long did you put it in for?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Rampede

erm.....it didnt get hot because of the tire the frickin rim was sparkin and before u say u cant put metal in the microwave it wasnt even metal it was chrome painted and i did say sorry u can quit chastizing me now dudeyeah it works if u dont care about the rim............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.