Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite gears for the monster truck?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

What are your favorite gears for the monster truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:59 PM
madgti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your favorite gears for the monster truck?

I am thinking of ordering the metal gears for the Monster truck and i was just wondering if i should just stick with the 48 tooth spur gear ? The only mod i have done is the FG Tune pipe.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2005, 04:03 AM
jeepfreak1972

Default RE: What are your favorite gears for the monster truck?

I run a 17 tooth steel pinion from rc car online and a 46 tooth plastic spur. I changed the diff to 50 teeth. I'm going to try 18/46 and see how that goes.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Stegy

I'm using 16-48 & 14-50 on diff. Best combination so far for my driving style.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:42 AM
madgti

17 tooth steel pinion from rc car online and a 46 tooth plastic spur
How do you like this combo over stock?

I'm using 16-48 & 14-50 on diff. Best combination so far for my driving style
Are you saying your running 16-48 for pinon and spur and you change your diff gears to 14-50? How do you like it over stock setup?

thanks
Old 08-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Stegy

ORIGINAL: madgti
Are you saying your running 16-48 for pinon and spur and you change your diff gears to 14-50? How do you like it over stock setup?
thanks
Better, more torque, I don't need top speed gearing.
I've tested lots of combinations and like this the most.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:32 PM
jeepfreak1972

I like this set up for my style. I have all the low end I need and a little more top end. The track that I have is a fast one so I might go up to the 18 tooth on the pinion.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 PM
madgti

nice to hear others are playing around with the gearing?

What is the benefit for smaller pinon , spur gear, and diff gear. I am trying to decide what is the best combo for me.

I know a smaller pinon / smaller spur = more torque, and larger pinon and spur gear = mroe top end. Does the diff gear works the same too ?

I'm just trying to decide if i should buy another 48 diff gear or try a larger one to go with my 17. How do you think this will work

17 pinon with a 48 spur gear matched with a 50 differential gear. What would kind of performance will i see in this. I appreciate if you guys can help me save the cost of buying soo many metal gears to play around

Thanks
Old 08-01-2005, 08:16 PM
jeepfreak1972

ORIGINAL: madgti

nice to hear others are playing around with the gearing?

What is the benefit for smaller pinon , spur gear, and diff gear. I am trying to decide what is the best combo for me.

I know a smaller pinon / smaller spur = more torque, and larger pinon and spur gear = mroe top end. Does the diff gear works the same too ?

I'm just trying to decide if i should buy another 48 diff gear or try a larger one to go with my 17. How do you think this will work

17 pinon with a 48 spur gear matched with a 50 differential gear. What would kind of performance will i see in this. I appreciate if you guys can help me save the cost of buying soo many metal gears to play around

Thanks

Smaller pinion and larger spur = more torque
Larger pinion and smaller spur = more top speed

You can't run the 17 with the 48. It's 16 with 48 or 17/18 with the 46. The diff gear works the same. Going up to a 50 tooth on the diff slows the top speed but gives more low end. The 14 tooth lay shaft gear is standard on the MT/MB, at least that is what mine came with. I will tell you how I came up with combo. I wasn't looking to change gearing for performance reasons. I went with the 17/46 combo to get more space between the spur and the upper link to help save the gear in a crash. I put the 50 tooth diff gear on to get most of my gearing loss back from the 17/46 change and the 50 tooth gear is the hd version from rc car online so it is stronger. The change gave me a little more speed and a little less wheelies which I like. I think it has enough power with my pipe and all to pull 18/46 with no problems.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:58 PM
madgti

Hrmm just trying to decide what gears still. I just got my gear carrier made so i am still trying to figure out what would be the best ratio for swapping with the existing stock gears.

I am thinking of running the diff gear 48 as my spur and replace the diff with a different size or i will just buy another 48 diff gear for my spur and run a 16 pinon.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM
madgti

how does this sound if it is feasable?

16 /48 for the pinon and spur

17/46 for diff

I don't mind reducing torque and increase the top speed.

Can the metal pinon gear be used with the metal diff gear? What is the stock small diff gear? (16) ?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:09 PM
BILKO1

I'm runnung 18/46 spur/clutch output and standard layshaft/diff gearing on my MT. I find this stops alot of the wheelspin as i race/bash on a very dry soil track. I've also got a 4 way adjustable diff and to be honest the standard one is just as good in the conditions i race/bash on, although i might give the visco diff a try next week.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:30 PM
madgti

If i run a 17/46 or 18/46 pinon and spur with my stock differential gears what will i notice? I like to reducce wheel spin aswell especially with the tune pipe.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:29 PM
jeepfreak1972

Page 35 of the fg catalog #3 has most of the gears and most of the gear ratios listed with different gear combos. The higher the number in the speed reducing ratio column the slower you will go and the more power you have down low. The numbers mean for every, lets say 8 turns of the engine the wheels turn 1 time. This chart is very helpful in choosing gears. Go to a web site that has the downloadable catalog or purchase one. It is a must have in my opinion.