Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

2 speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:47 AM
dyna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 speed

HELP, just installed fg 2 speed into monster beetle can't hear it shift, have turned the adj. screw in and out several times with no luck. My goal is to use 14/50 on diff, and 16/48 on spur with 20/44 for high gear, thinking this would get me out of the hole and then some high top speed. If anyone with 2 speed smarts could help me through the adj. Not sure if I should start with screw turned in or out and how much to adj. at a time?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 AM
sasquatch1976

Default RE: 2 speed

Turning in would make the shiftpoint later and out = sooner. It is sometimes ahrd to hear it shift as with the nitro touringcars destinct sound. But with a 20/44 gearing you should notice unnatural high speed of it was in first gear...

I turned half a turn (180 degrees) at a time, and I had to turn it in approx. 3/4 of a turn because I had a too ealry shift.

There has been at least 2 good long threads in here recently. Do a search both for 2-speed and two speed. Could be very usefull information for you.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:08 PM
dyna

Ok, did a search but can't find anywhere, how many turns out from all the way in to get it to shift
Old 08-05-2005, 08:11 AM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Turning the screw counter-clockwise will make it shift earlier. Try setting the shift screw flush with the steel collar and then read this post from an old topic.:

Locic and common sense prevails again.

Well I guess I was just lucky and or over-anylitical as usual. The second gear engagement is based on centrifugal force on the small steel hammer inside of the second gear wheel. If you consider this you can get pretty close. I backed the screw out until the screw head was flush with the actuator maybe a half turn beyond flush and mine is perfect. (it shifts at the top of the powerband and stands up if you are not carefull I blame the new Oneil pipe; the one that just came back from Jet-pro on monday. You can definitley tell when it shifts by sound and feel. The stock two speed comes with 18/46(1st) and 20/44(2nd) or a 2.5:1(1st) and 2.2:1(2nd) which I thought seemd to close to be of any real benefit(especially when the stock gearing is 18/46 or 3:1 so I used the stock gear wheels for first and the 20/44 for second so I now have a 3:1 first gear and a 2.2:1 second gear. This gearing seems perfect (at least with a tuned pipe)

Please be aware the stock plastic gears must be modified to fit on the two speed. The plastic hub/dampers must be removed and the center hole of the spur gear must be enlarged to fit over the first gear carrier, the same could be done for second gear if you had gear set laying around. the pinions need no modification however the correct pinion must be used.
Possiblities:
16/48 3:1
18/46 2.5:1
20/44 2.2:1
21/42 2:1
22/42 1.9:1
23/40 1.74:1
24/40 1.66:1
25/40 1.6:1
26/38 1.46:1

The hardest part about the two-speed is the #$%&@ rear brake.

In my opinion the two-speed was the second beat upgrade to my MT.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:21 AM
dyna

Thanks for the post Chowderhead I will try that