Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

FG versus Elcon/Krikke alloy parts (opinions please)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG versus Elcon/Krikke alloy parts (opinions please)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 01:41 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG versus Elcon/Krikke alloy parts (opinions please)

I have a Firehammer. An FG and Elcon/Krikke dealer has quoted me pricing on replacing all the front end parts with alloy using FG and Elcon/Krikke brand parts. The FG parts came out to $305 and the Elcon/Krikke parts (non-colored) came in at $455.

I asked him what the difference was between the two brands. In his opinion, the brands are equivalent in quality. The FG parts are less expensive (in his explanation) because of the way they are imported into the US.

If the two brands are equivalent quality and have no other differences then wouldn't it be foolish to spend $150 more for the Elcon/Krikke parts?

I'm tired of breaking plastic parts on my Firehammer so I am (mostly) willing to spend the money.

Opinions please!

Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 02:10 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: FG versus Elcon/Krikke alloy parts (opinions please)

Elcon Krikke parts are made much better! Most of the FG alloy parts are made of cast aluminum some are made of machined (cnc) 6160 aluminum which is inferior to the 7075 aluminum used in elcon/Krikke and Crazy Nut. For dress-up parts (gear plate, servo saver FG cast is fine but A-arms, bulkheads,uprights should be left for the good stuff. The Elcon rear lowers a-arms are very expensive but an incredible.

I heard from a very reliable source that Crazy Nut is working on (almost complete) lower rear a-arm similar to the Elcon but more adjustable, american made and cheaper due to not having to ship overseas. (also made of 7075 aluminum)
Old 08-08-2005, 02:16 PM
JRexA

I have parts of the following makes in my FG Leopard Race

The Racing Factory: http://www.the-racing-factory.de
Hötchick Tuning: http://www.fg-modellsport-vertrieb.de
FG Modellsport: http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de
Elcon Models: http://www.elcon-models.com

The Racing Factory: (Front Upper A-Arms)
Solid parts, good fit, good finish, equipped with teflon bushings but bulky.

Hötchick Tuning: (Front Lover A-Arms)
Elegant, solid, good fit, NO bushings, perfect replacement for plastic arms, can even use the standard front roll bar. Good price.
Has several very interesting Titanium Alloy parts.

FG Modellsport GmBh: (front uprights, alloy gear plate, rear lover a-arms, rear uprights)
Perfect fit, solid, rear lover a-arms a pain to adjust.
Parts was on the car when I bought it used, and was well worn. The front uprights is very worn, and they need replacement or repair.
The rear lover uprights is not the raised ones, and that gives me problems with the outer rubber boots on the ball drive - they also need replacing.

Elcon Models: (front A and B plate, stainless steel shafts for A-Arms, front alloy Shockmount, shockmount quick release kit)
Perfect fit, teflon bushes. Looks to have the best quality workmanship of the lot. Can't use original spring based roll-bar. Not Cheap.

One friend has the Elcon Rear lover A-arms on his Marder Race, and they are just something I MUST have, Rock solid, VERY easy to adjust. Definately NOT a copy of someone elses parts.

Another friend has a near complete Elcon Rearend that hasn't been mounted yet, and He is talking about selling his car, I am trying to get him to part with the Elcon parts.

(p.s. I am biased towards Elcon)

I haven't tried KP Designs, but they also have a good reputation. (http://www.kp-designs.co.uk)
Old 08-08-2005, 05:04 PM
jeepfreak1972

I beat the tar out of my MB and my fg alloy lower arms (rear) have held up fine as well as my upper elcon arms.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:27 AM
original.mb

krikke machine the best quality parts, i have lower rear krikke arms and even though they are slightly dearer they are worth every penny
Old 08-10-2005, 05:57 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I have a mix of the Elcon and FG and the Elcon are worth it!! So of the FG suff is fine but for the arms go with the Elcon or Krikke since there are CNC and harder. At first I wasn't sure about spending the $$$ but I finally said if I need then I should get them before I get married!!! . So now I have my tricked out FG and have a new house and wife and now we are expecting an addition to the family!!!

Life is really good!!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:09 AM
original.mb

congratulations selwa
Old 08-10-2005, 06:24 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks! All this within the last few months too!! I'm kinda tired now.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:03 AM
original.mb

i bet you are all the best
Old 08-10-2005, 03:53 PM
BILKO1

Like Jeepfreak i bash the hell out of my MT and highly recommend the Elcon alloy, i'm slightly biased but it is very strong. Also the guys at Elcon are very helpful even there sponsored drivers help out with queries.