Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Dirt Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Xeron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Air Filters

Hello all, come to pick your brains and see what goodies you have. In all my FG vehicles i've always ran a K&N as I dont really get the cars to dirty...

however, I fancy getting really nasty with the car, so i'm wondering whats the best protective filter out there? for the fine stuff, dust, sand etc.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 05:33 AM
original.mb

Default RE: Dirt Air Filters

well u have many choices but the pre-filter cover from www.fgperformancerc.com will stop any dirt getting in, also www.sbracing.co.uk has an awesome of road filter that not only protects but enhances engine performance as well
Old 08-11-2005, 05:47 AM
Xeron

This one Verion? doesnt mention a word about it being good protection wise just rants about performance

is this the one you was refering too from fgperformance?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:20 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Xeron

Hello all, come to pick your brains and see what goodies you have. In all my FG vehicles i've always ran a K&N as I dont really get the cars to dirty...

however, I fancy getting really nasty with the car, so i'm wondering whats the best protective filter out there? for the fine stuff, dust, sand etc.

Thanks

When I had air filter problems and toasted a engine over it the guys pointed me to the stock FG one...part number 6464, unless you want to spend some serious cash..but this one is more than enough

[link=http://www.rc-car-online.de/fg_filter_or_eng.htm]FG Air Filter[/link]
[link=http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/acatalog/FG_Parts_6201___.html]FG Air Filter[/link]
Old 08-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Mad Wax

What exactly does that black tube cover do? Is it used for wet conditions?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:31 AM
original.mb

mad wax

it protects the filter from dirt/debri very good indeed.

xeron

thats the wrong filter there in pic the filter in question is on the homepage of www.sbracing.co.uk , its on the right listed under accessories if you care to have a butchers
Old 08-11-2005, 09:02 AM
JustxOnce
My Feedback: (7)

Works great when running in a dusty area or wet grass. I find myself cleaning my filter less. Got mine [link=http://www.fortune3.com/comp72116/product.cgi?group=20534&product=20541]here[/link] GREAT SERVICE!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:18 AM
original.mb

sounds good mate
Old 08-11-2005, 12:46 PM
SELWA

I've been using the stock filter and black cover myself for the past 6 months and it works great in all weather including snow!! Get the cover and a spare foam filter and you'll never be down. A pair of pre-oiled filters are only $10 CAD. The cover was around $30CAD I think. Well worth it.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:17 PM
hpiguy

I use an Outerwears cover as a prefilter for my cars. I use the stock foam filter underneath.

Same exact thing that FGperformance sells for only 5 bucks at ANY motocross shop.

It fits MUCH better too (perfect fit, not baggy, just loose enough) and works perfect. I used to clean the filter foam after 30 minutes of running. Now I can go three tanks before the foam even gets really dirty.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:07 PM
dazzahughesuk

You know what im going to say...ill say it again.
RN Tuning Twin air filter is the best air filter for going off road as it has been designed by the same people that make airfilter for ATV and trials bikes etc....

Here it is fitted to my MB

www.sgmodels.com sells them for GBP£54
[link=http://www.sgmodels.com/details.asp?ID=6473]direct link[/link]

Darren

Thanks
Old 08-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Mad Wax

What about fitting a cut down one of these over stock filters?

[link=http://www.boydproducts.com/images/hairnet.white.F.gif]pic[/link]
Old 08-13-2005, 04:25 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: dazzahughesuk

You know what im going to say...ill say it again.
RN Tuning Twin air filter is the best air filter for going off road as it has been designed by the same people that make airfilter for ATV and trials bikes etc....

Here it is fitted to my MB

www.sgmodels.com sells them for GBP£54
[link=http://www.sgmodels.com/details.asp?ID=6473]direct link[/link]

Darren

Thanks

I wouldn't claim it as the best...it still gets dirty...it'll still clog and it still requires cleaning....it does the exact same job as [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHTX0&P=Z]this[/link] except the twin air cost 5 times more. The stock FG 6464 and the Stock Duratrax Firehammer filters do a excellent job and the Outerwears sock isn't really needed it helps some but you really do not need it. I personally would sooner spend the extra cash saved on better parts than a expensive filter that does the same job as the cheaper ones. As far as saying its the same used in ATV's...theres a big difference there a ATV has a air box the filter isn't subjected to dirt being dumped directly on the filter itself.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:27 PM
hpiguy

But for that embarassingly high price, I'll stick with my stock filter and the good prefilter cover. I'm sure it's good but for the price it had better clean itself too.

54 English Pounds!!!! it's over $100 US when you figure in shipping. That's nuts.

Completely brand new engines ready to drop in cost $175 US.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:02 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: hpiguy

But for that embarassingly high price, I'll stick with my stock filter and the good prefilter cover. I'm sure it's good but for the price it had better clean itself too.

54 English Pounds!!!! it's over $100 US when you figure in shipping. That's nuts.

Completely brand new engines ready to drop in cost $175 US.

Less than $175 at dave's motors for 23cc'rs
HE23HP 2.5 HP Engine
$133.00

But hell yeah I feel same way...I've yet to blow a engine with a duratrax or fg filter on...and I run mine in sandy conditions doing hill climbs and burrying the backend in sand quiet a bit.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Xeron

ORIGINAL: Veron

mad wax

it protects the filter from dirt/debri very good indeed.

xeron

thats the wrong filter there in pic the filter in question is on the homepage of www.sbracing.co.uk , its on the right listed under accessories if you care to have a butchers

Err this one then? Looks like the k&N to me.. i'm sure its good for performance but cant see it meeting requirements for dirt.

Nice bit of kit.. but dont like the price... plus I think i've found what i wanted

The box looks like that will do the trick just fine

thanks for all the info guys
Old 08-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Colin.

What oil do you guy's use on you air filter?? And do you oil the in or outer foam?
Cheers.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:31 PM
hellya

The Firehammers stock dual airfilter system works really good..........I use this K&N oil bought from the Honda motorcycle dealer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98650.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	309976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43838.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	309977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42240.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	309978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23039.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	309979  
Old 08-15-2005, 07:50 AM
jeepfreak1972

K&N filter oil is for cotton gauze filters only not foam. Use a good guality foam filter oil from an atv/motorcycle shop like belray or pj-1. I'm surprised your motor isn't toast from using that stuff on a foam filter. I have been riding dirt bikes and atv's for 22 yrs and I have seen what happens when someone makes that mistake.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:25 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: Colin.

What oil do you guy's use on you air filter?? And do you oil the in or outer foam?
Cheers.

I use Belray foam filter oil...it's really sticky does a great job on dirt and sand and isn't very expensive around $8/quart. I also oil my inner and outer filter and with a cotton swab i run some around the filter housings that seat against the foam it creates a good tight seal. I do use the Outerwears sock also but it's not really needed. Also Belray filter oil is waterproof, you'll need to clean out dirty filters in gasoline otherwise you'll never remove the old oil.

[link=http://www.belray.com/consumer/productpages/foamfilter.html]Belray Foam Filter Oil[/link]
Old 08-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Mad Wax

I use this stuff.

[link=http://www.motoparts.ch/Daten/verschleissteile/Fluessiges/Silkolene/Bilder/Silkolene/FltrOil1.gif]pic[/link]

Fuchs lubricants foam filter oil
"Super-tacky, water repellent formula for foam air filters. Helps combat the ingress of sand, dust and repels water without affecting engine breathing."
Old 08-16-2005, 05:26 AM
original.mb

xeron

thats the correct filter in pic mate it is designed to be an off-road filter i have 2 and the actuall mesh around filter is metal rather than paper k and n filters or sponge filters, its great works very well indeed
Old 08-16-2005, 03:24 PM
jeepfreak1972

K&N filters are not paper. They are cotton gauze sandwiched between metal mesh. Every other cotton gauze air filter with the wire mesh is a K&N poser.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:03 AM
original.mb

thin cotton gauze = paper
Old 08-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Xeron

ORIGINAL: Veron

xeron

thats the correct filter in pic mate it is designed to be an off-road filter i have 2 and the actuall mesh around filter is metal rather than paper k and n filters or sponge filters, its great works very well indeed
Glad i got the right one this time still, off road could mean a bit of dirt.. or alot of dirt. i think the box will be the best option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.