Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Leopard vs Marder Race

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 02:07 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leopard vs Marder Race

What are the differencees other than the wheelbase/frame? Do they both come with the ball drive dogbones. Could someone please explain what fg means by "pluggable" in regards to diffs? Leopard owners: Which of the two is will handle better? I have a Leopard on order to go with my Pimped out MT-5. Whoo hoo no more nitro!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Mad Wax

Default RE: Leopard vs Marder Race

Leopard handles better on the corners due to the extra width and wheelbase. Leopard RC plate has space for front cable brake servo and the plate is more rigid (more fixing posts) Height of the engine and diff is higher. Tuned pipe is included. Poly body instead of ABS plastic. I guess the "pluggable" diff is the quick release slotted diff bolts, compared to the grub screw type (need to open up diff to remove bolts) Marder Race has ball diff by the look of it.

Considering the price increase on the Leopard is roughly the price of the pipe- I think it's good value. You then have poly body. I'm having problems with heat from the pipe on the throttle/brake servo though.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:15 PM
chevyman_de

Right, "pluggable" means the diff output shafts and their bevel gears have a spline drive.

The Leopard has no ball diff, just an alloy diff case, which, however, is a very good thing. Actually there are no ball diffs for large scale models at all. ABC (HARM) had one a long time ago. But even though it was very well made, it was unable to keep up with the torque. It died within no time.

The Marder has no ball drive shafts, a Marder race and a Leopard do.

The Marder rims do not allow for in-wheel disk brakes in the rear.

Both car's servo plates allow for a two servo throttle/brake setup, but running hydros front and rear on a Marder race is a tight fit. But possible.

General opinion: Leopards are better for racing, Marders for bashing. The Leopard handles better on relatively flat, but fast tracks. If you're looking for a good compromise, go for the Marder race.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:23 PM
jeepfreak1972

Are you saying that a Leopard can't jump well? I have the mb for bashing and want to get the Leo next to race on my off road track. If its for flat ground that just will not due.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:45 PM
chevyman_de

ORIGINAL: jeepfreak1972

Are you saying that a Leopard can't jump well?
Of course it can, but it's designed for all-out racing. Sitting lower on the ground and with the angles of the front axle similar to those of a street car it handles more like a rallye car than an offroader. Maybe this comparison is not perfect, but it's the best that comes to my mind at the moment.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Automan

I think i would second that, the leopard is more like a rally car, wheres the marder is probably the better off roader... but dont quote me on that i think overall they both perform well in the off road department [sm=thumbup.gif] but that the leopard have a very good on road performance to, and thats not bad.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:16 PM
jeepfreak1972

My track is what you would call a fast track anyway I guess. 230-250ft long, 150ft deep, one tripple jump, one table top and one small jump on a turn. The rest is fast straits and sweepers with a couple of wide hair pins mixed in. Some of the straits have small dips and bumps to small to be called jumps. The main strait is about 230 ft. long and flat. The lanes are 10 to 15 ft wide and it is black dirt and grass not clay. I have my heart set on the Leo and that is what I will get. I like what I hear about it. I like the fact that you said it handles like a rally car. It will suit my track. I just hope it handles better than my MB. RC CAR MAGAZINE said " Trying to compare the Leopard Race to another car is difficult, but it felt like a very heavy, but wildly powerful, 1/8 scale buggy"
Old 08-11-2005, 04:24 PM
chevyman_de

You will not be disappointed! Handling of any monster car is ridiculous compared to a race buggy. Be it a model or a real car...
Old 08-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Mad Wax

ORIGINAL: chevyman_de

You will not be disappointed! Handling of any monster car is ridiculous compared to a race buggy. Be it a model or a real car...

Bouncy bouncy tumble tumble

Jeepfreak, Marder & Leopard handling is far better than MB/MT...from the videos the Monster's look ok for fun driving, but far to poor when it comes to high speed cornerning, ability to stay straight/upright when climbing hills or jumping. You won't be disappointed with Marder or Leopard's handling.

If someone can drive a Monster like a Marder/Leopard I would like to see it, from all the videos the Monsters appear to spend most of the time upside down loosing traction/steering with wheelies/angling back on rear wheels. Only time I can even attempt to get it angling is angling up a hill and really throttling it in mid air, even then it stays pretty straight (backing down before it lands though) Doing full accereration from standstill, whilst going up a upward hill- but even only slightly raises the front (but they still stay on the ground) doing a jump stays pretty flat also.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Automan

The monster's have higher center gravity and bigger tires better grip, and can NOT be compared to those buggy's as far as handling in higher speeds and cornering, as Mad Wax said.

Those monsters are great for very ruff terrain and deep mud etc, but the buggy's are overall like rallycars and will handle jumps and lighter terrain, and will handle better on highspeed course.

jeepfreak, I think you will be very happy with your Leopard, if i would get a buggy, that is probably what i would want to, good choice man [sm=thumbup.gif]
And seams you have a nice and big track there, wish i had the space to do something like that, but good luck to you and hope you get the car soon.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:15 PM
chowderhead72

Thanks for all of your inputs! I t hink I have made the right choice with the leopard.

Now who has Jiggy paint jobs on leopards please give me some ideas. What is the leopard beetle? the body for the Leopard in the catalog looks very dune buggyish (as it should) but I have seen the leopard beetle on Raco's web site has there been a change or is that an optional body?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:27 PM
jeepfreak1972

I know what you mean Mad Wax, about the bouncy, on the lid, always running to tip it back on its wheels, everytime I try to race it on my track crap. That MB is good for bashing and that is it. I've done the hole in the wheels and changed shock oil stuff. I just had to come to terms with the fact that the MB is an offroad play car and for my track I need the race car. I get a smile on my face just thinking about riping around my track with that Leopard when I get it.

Automan, I too wish you and everyone else who wanted to build a track of there own had the space to do so. It is a lot of fun setting up and building your own track the way you want it. I can walk 100ft from my garage and bingo, large scale race track at my disposal. I wish a bunch of us could be at the same place at the same time doing what we love together as large scale brothers and sisters and actually meet one another and not get political or any of that crap. Just enjoy the time getting to know new people from around the world that enjoy the same things. This hobby kicks but and so does this forum and 99.9% of the people on it. Thanks all of you for for the Leopard advice and any other help that I have needed.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Apache-

Going on a track then the Leopard is the best option. I doubt that the MB/MT have more grip than a Leopard, this depends very much on the set-up of the car and the surface of the track you're driving on. I would say in general the Leo has more grip than an MT/MB.
The Leopard is anyway a great car and you can go through corners faster than with a marder, to compare cornering with an MT is impossible. Probably you won't drive your MT anymore that much ones you have the Leo for your track. You will enjoy the Leo for sure!
There are tons of pics on the net of painted cars, here you can find maybe some inspiration for you coming paintjob:

http://www.modelracer.com/gallery/in...A+Offroad+2004

Old 08-12-2005, 03:29 PM
chowderhead72

Leopard Beetle? See above
Old 08-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Mad Wax

Pic of "New Beetle Leopar"
[link=http://photobucket.com/albums/a329/Mad_Wax/?action=view&current=Leopard1.jpg]here[/link]
Old 08-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Apache-

ORIGINAL: chowderhead72

What is the leopard beetle? the body for the Leopard in the catalog looks very dune buggyish (as it should) but I have seen the leopard beetle on Raco's web site has there been a change or is that an optional body?

I was just looking around but could not find it at any shop. As I remember the first Leopards were delivered with this "new beetle" body.
Then probably this car was changed somewhat technically (as I remember the first version was not handeling so well) and became then from Leopard a Leopard Race and got a different body with it. However I am not sure on this.
Am I fully mistaken or not? Anyone can confirm this or know exactly?

Chowderhead you were probably looking at this picture at the Raco website:
http://www.raco.co.at/uploaded_images/fg-bu-04.gif
That is what I saw 3 or 4 years ago and is the old leopard which was a bit difficult to handle.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:32 AM
chowderhead72

ORIGINAL: Apache-

I was just looking around but could not find it at any shop. As I remember the first Leopards were delivered with this "new beetle" body.
Then probably this car was changed somewhat technically (as I remember the first version was not handeling so well) and became then from Leopard a Leopard Race and got a different body with it. However I am not sure on this.
Am I fully mistaken or not? Anyone can confirm this or know exactly?

Chowderhead you were probably looking at this picture at the Raco website:
http://www.raco.co.at/uploaded_images/fg-bu-04.gif
That is what I saw 3 or 4 years ago and is the old leopard which was a bit difficult to handle.
You are correct sir! So what you are telling me is that the beetle is the old version and the buggy is the new version? Sweet!
Old 08-13-2005, 07:53 AM
jeepfreak1972

I had the older catalog from FG before I got the latest one. I think it was a 2001 catalog. In there they had both the Leopard race as we see it now and and a Leopard beetle. Don't quote me on this, but I thought they were the same. Thing is though, they didn't call it the Leopard race beetle just the Leopard beetle. So what Apache said is probably true. Also the Leopard beetle is not in the latest catalog.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:57 AM
chowderhead72

Ok; But either way I am not going to get stuck with a decidedly Homocentric Volkswagen. Jeepfreak whom did you buy your leopard from? How much?
Old 08-13-2005, 07:14 PM
jeepfreak1972

I will be buying from my local hobby shop and I don't know the price yet. He gives me good deals though. I wish I had it now.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:04 PM
chowderhead72

I have ordered it from my LHS for 1450 but I was looking to find out how bad I got screwed.
ORIGINAL: jeepfreak1972

I will be buying from my local hobby shop and I don't know the price yet. He gives me good deals though. I wish I had it now.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:07 AM
Mad Wax

Leopard Race is available over here for 959 Euros (tyres unglued, 26cc engine) thats $1200 US. Plus shipping- about $32. Comes with these free spares too- 2 spare layshafts, spark plug, full set of bearings. So paid you £147 more, even though we pay VAT!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Apache-

Though it is with VAT I think shipping a complete leopard to the other side of the lake is a bit more expensive than only from Germany to the UK. Then there is the import duty that has to be taken in account also which we are luckily not charged with. So you might get it a bit cheaper but now you have a local dealer who could help you out when you get a serious problem soon. I think I would have opted for the same as you did, buy at a local shop if the difference you pay stays in reasonable limits, provided you can expect some help and support then.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:55 PM
chowderhead72

ORIGINAL: Apache-

Though it is with VAT I think shipping a complete leopard to the other side of the lake is a bit more expensive than only from Germany to the UK. Then there is the import duty that has to be taken in account also which we are luckily not charged with. So you might get it a bit cheaper but now you have a local dealer who could help you out when you get a serious problem soon. I think I would have opted for the same as you did, buy at a local shop if the difference you pay stays in reasonable limits, provided you can expect some help and support then.
That was exactly what I was thinking. Hobbytek would charge $1347.37 +4% to ship to my door or I can pay $1450+5% Maryland tax and have LHS that loves me or I can wait two weeks and trust a shipping company to move a semi-fragile package thousands of miles without braking it. No thanks!