Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

I can't get my Solo engine to run

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

I can't get my Solo engine to run

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't get my Solo engine to run

hey i just got FG Evo 2

it has the solo engine, 2 days ago it was running fine and today it frikkin wont run,

i used to have gopeds, dirt bikes..many many rc cars and a lot of experience with engines but this thing is giving me hard time!!!!

chnaged spark plug, everything is fine...but it wont fire up

any ideas?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Default RE: I can't get my Solo engine to run

i think it has very little compression and thats why it wont start, will G230 piston rings work on this solo engine?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:14 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pop a compression tester on it. You need 90psi min to ignite the gas. Not sure on the piston ring. Never took my only solo engine apart.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:18 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

ok the pressure is good, my spark plug gets wet after one pull and it wont ignite

i think there is soemthing wrong with my ignition coil...
Old 08-15-2005, 03:16 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I had a similar problem with my Firehammer (CY 23cc enginer). It ran great the day before the problem. I used by leaf blower to clean out dust from the model. I blew into recoil starter housing pretty good because it seemed to have a lot of dirt in it and the fan assembly it engages. After the thorough cleaning the engine would not turn over. I pulled on the starter more than a hunderd times. I pulled off the kill switch and cleaned thoroughly with electric contact spray and confirmed it's functionality with a voltmeter. I threw my hands up for that day and decided to have a beer and try later.

The next day I pulled on the starter about another 20 times and FINALLY it started to sound like it was going to fire. Three or four more pulls and I had it running. My only guess (and I don't know that much about two-cycle engines - just a little about electronics) is that I blew dirt in between the ignition coil and and the electric contacts on the flywheel that kept the engine from generating enough voltage to drive the spark plug. I was afraid to spray electrical contact cleaner into the flywheel/ignition coil gap so I never tried that.

If you figure this out, please post your diagnosis.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

You're going to need to check for spark. You can either go out and buy a tester to do this (any auto parts store sells it, and it looks like a spark plug with a clip on the end) or just use your regular spark plug.
If you are planning on using a spark plug, i'd suggest removing all fuel from the car so you don't cause a fire when/if the plug does fire. Remove the plug from the cylinder, plug it into the boot and "ground" it on the engine. Pull the starter cord while you keep an eye on the end of your spark plug. If you see a good strong spark then the coil probably isn't your problem.

You might also want to check the coil to flywheel clearance. I dont know exactly how a solo is setup but with the g230 you can use a business card to set the gap between the coil and flywheel.

One last thing. Its possible (i've had it happen) that the cylinder is just so flooded with old gas that it wont fire. Try taking the plug out, and letting it sit over night so the gas can evaporate. Then using a new plug try starting it.

Hope that helps, let us know what you find.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:39 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Dr.ArmoMaxx

ok the pressure is good, my spark plug gets wet after one pull and it wont ignite

i think there is soemthing wrong with my ignition coil...

Always remember these things...A Gasoline engine no matter what kind needs these things to run, air,fuel,compression and spark. If you have all of those it will run. Narrow it down one by one just never loose patience...sometimes 2 cycle's can be very stubborn. I always start mine, even my dirt bikes by placing the choke on, priming the engine and kicking or pulling until I get an attempt to start, then I pop the choke off and they'll fire away. 2 cycles when cold always have a clearing out problem they'll miss and sputter until you clear out the cylinder of unburnt fuel/oil and the rings seat as they reach operating temps.

I once had a great idea out in the field one day...the dirt gets in my recoil starter forces it not to work...so my great idea was WD40 the recoil and it'd work...well it did...it worked great but my engine wouldn't start. I pulled my plug and noticed it was soaked...so I replaced it...cleared the engine and tried again...wouldn't start....pulled my plug again and it was soaked..checked this time for spark...I had none...the WD40 had lubricated my flywheel and took away my spark. I sprayed it down with some electrical cleaner and it fired on the first pull.....Great Idea huh
Old 08-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

WHOA YOU GUYS ROCK

and i though i knew about engines....lol
i just got home...guess what i was doing? RAPING A PARKING LOT!!!!!

this is my frist 1/5 scale and i am lovin eveyr part of it...including you guys [:-]
in past i owned many many rc cars, .40 4 stroke tmaxx, 1/5 scale RC bike with .12 engine, 1/10 scale on road with .15...
and let me tell you...from reading the replies you guys posted to help me out...i could tell that thispeople are not 13 year olds..haha

thanks guys...[8D]
Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

One of the best things you'll notice here oon these large scale forums are that you'll get not only people who own and run all the different types of cars but you'll get dealers and retailers of the rc's,parts,engines and heck almost anything...this is a great group of guys here they've helped me out alot also...enjoy your stay and your new gaser
Old 08-18-2005, 06:00 PM
p113

if u find that ur spending alot of mony on spark plugs nerly always they dont need replaycing youll probly have noticed that 2strokes usually get a build up of carbon on the spark plug after a time causing them not 2 spark just take a bit of fine sandpaper and clean the in beetween the parts where the spark pluk sparks blew it incase anysand is in it put it back in and it should fire right up this usually works in most cases and thats why i dont carry spre pugs but sandpaper its allways worked for me
i love tinkering and messing with engines always have since about 4years of age and last year i got a FG marder having had 3 nitros be4 that and it makes them all look like crap
oh and dr.armomaxx im 14 but dont worry im not offended as i know most people my age dont even know what a 2-stroke engine is