Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Spektrum DX3

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:09 PM
madgti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX3

Just wanted to know what your opinions on this little setup. I am thinking of getting rid of my JR XS3 for it.

[link=http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_radio_control/spektrum_dx3.htm]Click HEre[/link]
Old 08-15-2005, 10:17 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Spektrum DX3

That was one of the radios I was considering when I bought my MT-5 but the release dat kept getting pushed back. Now it is available and I have held one and it feels very cheap compared to my 3PK pcm. In retrospect I am very happy with my purchase of the radio...Now servos that is a different question...... Hitec blows! On the subject of servos that radio comes with two decent (for 1/10 scale) servos so it is kind of a waste for you isn't it? The radio you are looking at is 250 the 3pk is 310 and the new m11 is about the same as the 3pk. The spectrum doesn't have a built in fail safe does it? The 3pk pcm does. The spectrum will not do brake mixing. The 3pk and the new m11 does. For $60 more to me it is a no brainer, but if spectrum is that important to you it can be added to any of the radios I have mentioned to have the best of both worlds. I am not sure if you loose the failsafe on the 3pk when you switch from pcm to 2.4g. The 3pk also has built in rechargables as does the m11. Does the specktrum?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:25 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I have been looking at this radio and drooling also. I worked as an engineer with Motorola in the cellular network and phone groups and had a fair understanding of spreadspectrum radio (CDMA). This radio is a little different in its transmission scheme than traditional frequency-hopping spread-spectrum than what I understand but Spektrum's explanation of the technology sounds great.

This rig should be able to reject noise very well and you can play with 71 of your closest friends on the same track without interfering with each other ;-). As well, you are far away from the rest of the RC radio gear in terms of frequency (2400 MHz vs 75 Mhz). On the other hand there is a lot of unlicensed 2.4 GHz equipment (wireless ethernet, bluetooth, cordless phones, etc.) that could compete with you for the airwaves. All of these devices are designed to attempt to do things to not interfere with others so you should be okay.

I don't know about the servos included. If you already have good servos with your car you probably don't need the Spektrum servos.

If you get it report back to the forum to let us know how it works out.

Ken
Old 08-15-2005, 10:36 PM
kidd

i ordered one today. and they do have a built in failsafe.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:46 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: kidd

i ordered one today. and they do have a built in failsafe.
I stand corrected.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:08 AM
RC Collector

Comparing the DX3 toa 3PK isn't really fair - the DX3 is a mid-range radio with far fewer features than the high-end PK - albeit it costs half as much (don't forget to add the cost of the Spektrum module to the base price of the 3PK).

I got one to replace the XR3i I was using at the local 1/10 club races. It has all the features of the XR/XS line, plus a few extras, but the real benefit is that I don't have to worry about frequency conflicts.

That alone (plus the built in fail-safe) makes it a good choice for large scale. If you've ever seen one of these run-away, it's scary. My 1/5 touring car did, not because of the radio, but a bad fail-safe (DYNAMITE brand - stay away from these at all costs) that lost it's setting when the receiver battery was re-connected and moved the throttle to wide-open when the battery dumped and triggered the fail-safe.

Always check the operation of the fail safe, no matter what brand, by turning off the TX briefly at the start of each run.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:18 AM
JRexA

If you want a high Spech 2.4Ghz DSS Radio, then look at the Nomad Sensor.

The Sensor comes with Telemetry built in (RX Battery, Drive Battery, Engine Temp and Speed Sensor).

Jump over at the Car Radio section and look at the Sensor Thread.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:24 AM
madgti

I dont' can careless about servos with any radio package i wish they gaved us an option to buy a controller without the servos since I have Hitec 5645 for throttle/brake, and HS 5745 for steering. I like to know if it is worth it for me to keep JR XS3 or buy this spectrum. Where i drive is starting to have more and more locals playing so i don't want to keep popping my recieve box to change channels since everything in my reciever box is pretty tight.

I would keep my radio if there was a way to add spectrum to my existing JRXs3.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: madgti
I would keep my radio if there was a way to add spectrum to my existing JRXs3.
Basically, the DX3 is nothing but a JR case with the Spektrum module inside. However, I don't know if you could actually purchase the Spektrum module system separately and try to install it yourself in a JR XS3--the module system sells for $159 locally. Nimble Motorsports is also selling its 2.4GHz "Dart" electronics package which they would install or sell separately which could be installed into basically any wheel radio. However, I believe their price is still around $150 just for the supposed electronics upgrade.

http://www.nimblemotorsports.com/dart.html

You could also try to purchase an FM frequency checker but if someone starts to play on the channel you've already chosen, it's not much help though it would be helpful prior to turning on your own transmitter.

Myself, I use and own the JR XS3, Futaba T3PK and the 2.4 GHz Nomadio Sensor. In retrospect, I would have never purchased the JR XS3 if I would have tried the Futaba T3PK first despite the fact I don't have the Synthesized or Specktrum module for the T3PK--I have both the AM Conversion Module and the PCM Module. In my opinion, the Futaba T3PK simply feels better over all. And since the Nomadio Sensor is based on the Futaba T3PK as far a spring tension and a few other things is concerned, I like the feel of the Sensor as well. However, the Nomadio Sensor transmitter is a lot more expensive.

ORIGINAL: chowderhead72
The 3pk also has built in rechargables as does the m11. Does the specktrum?
It actually depends on which model T3PK is purchased. Basically, the US model (or ones purchased through Great Planes) do ship with a rechargeable battery pack, but the overseas models do not. Hence the difference between the "Magnum" and the "Megatech" versions. I also can't recall seeing a battery pack with the Spektrum DX3--simply battery holders.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DX3/Default.html

My crew.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:17 PM
madgti

So between my JRXS3 vs the Spectrum DX3 this would be the better buy right?

How much is the TPK + Spectrum module ?

Who has the best prices?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

One thing to consider is how many RCs you want to run with the same transmitter... Tower Hobbies can give you some idea of various pricing on the T3PK.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:24 PM
madgti

i only had a svaage and now i have a fg mt. I maybe consider one or 2 more rc down the rd.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

It appears that the DX3 only has three model memories. In other words, that's only three different RC models unless you want to double up RCs on the same programmable model memory.

"Model Memory: 3 Model Memory"
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=SPM2030
Old 08-18-2005, 07:36 PM
p113

hi all
this is maybe a bit off subject but i dont have a fancy controller just a basic one with digital servos of course i do all the grduation bracking turnig etc. the old fashion way (prctice) and wouldnt mid sum1 to explain 2 me the addvantage of all this technology
thnks
Old 08-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

2.4GHz basically means no needed crystals nor any synthesized dialing. That also means that in some races, there is no need to check the frequency board or keep changing crystals or showing up with several sets of crystals just to be able to race. In the open, that also means someone may not walk up, turn on their transmitter, and cause your RC to crash.

Real-time telemetry also means that one can get instant feedback. For example, one can monitor engine temps while driving and even have the transmitter provide an audio or vibrating alert if the engine temp is too high. Granted some may not give a darn about that but when I turned on my transmitter and picked up the ambient temp, the guy next to me didn't complain as he adjusted his carburetor to compensate for the 20F temp drop--it went from 115F to 95F during the race. Of course, the guy helping me pit was also adjusting my carb once I was on the track. Then again, some people may not care for the other real-time telemetry sensors as well.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 PM
p113

wow where do i get these controllers the onything that i was awre of was the driving aids ie. making the throttle stering and brakes slower which i alway though took awy the feel of the car.

can u have info like battery speed ect. on the controller i think maybe i have been a bit aruget becuse i was always interested more in the eniginering side performance ect.

thnks
Old 08-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

For more information about my transmitter shown in post #9--the one with the big screen....

Nomadio Sensor
http://www.nomadio.net
Old 08-18-2005, 08:35 PM
p113

thnks m8 im loking on the site now
Old 08-19-2005, 07:59 AM
kidd

i got my dx3 yesterday and aparently it does have servo mixing. i haven't used it but it says to set the 3rd channel to 0 and you can run two throttle brake servos or two steering servos and adjust the end points of each independantly.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:10 AM
madgti

would you guys take the Airtronics MX3 + spectrum over the Spectrum DX3 ?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:21 AM
rustyandjennifer

The Airtronics MX3 is NOT capable of using Spektrum. It is synthesized, but not quite the same thing. You have to manual switch to an open freq & spektrum changes automatically.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:53 PM
bigger the better

Hi,
I'm new to pistol grip controllers and the DX3 is my 1st. I love it and find that the amount of features for my fgmt is enough. You can adjust the tension of the steering like I am sure all of the others allow. It does allow for you to use a rechargeable battery which is an option and is charged with the charging port on the side. It does have a built in fail safe. I do like that the receiver is very small and that the antenna is even smaller - Actually doesn’t even come out of the body. I also like the transmitter antenna which I use to bend all the time with my old one but this one is like an old cell phone antenna. It does come with two servos one is a high speed and one is a metal bb high torque but my hobby shop allows trade and I just traded both for a high end one. The receiver also allows a great deal of volts to enter without damage - Actually more than most servos will allow. The setup actually allows you to hook everything up as close as you think it should and then readjust all of it with the transmitter so no tweaking of any connections even servo reversing.

Again its just MO so no hard feelings

Manual: [link]http://www.spektrumrc.com/About/Manuals.aspx[/link]

[link]http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM2030F[/link]
[link]http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/FAQ.aspx[/link]
Old 04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

The DX3 is a awesome radio for the price...no doubts about that