Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Rebuilding Firehammer shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:46 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Firehammer shocks

Hi All,

I am about to pull (the rest of) my hair out! I was about to replace a broken plastic upper arm on my Firehammer when I discovered that the left front shock had come undone at the bottom. The retainer clip, washer and both O-rings were resting on the bottom of the shock and there was no oil in it.

I have been trying for almost an hour to figure out how to reassemble the bottom of the shock but can't seem to get it to fit together. I cleaned out the hole as best as possible.

Also, how do I know when I need a shock "rebuild kit" versus just filling up the body with fresh oil? The existing o-rings and other hardware look OK but I have only rebuilt 1:10 scale shocks before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Ken
Old 08-15-2005, 10:15 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Rebuilding Firehammer shocks

Not sure how much this will help but here is the exploded view of the firehammer's shocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19499.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	310778  
Old 08-15-2005, 10:50 PM
kengentry5000

Thank you for the picture. I have that also and am trying to put it back together as illustrated but I can't seem to pack the two o-rings, washer and clip into the bottom of the shock body. Is there some special technique for packing the o-rings (oiling them, for instance). Also the clip that holds the shock together seems to be a four-handed job.

I just don't get it. I must be missing something easy here. Luckily my other three shocks appear to be intact but have no oil ;-( I will have to refill/rebuild all four before running again.

Ken
Old 08-24-2005, 02:02 PM
kengentry5000

Got the shock reassembled and rebuilt with 60 weight oil. It was easier than I expected although I did not replace any o-rings. I will see how bad the shocks leak and then make a call about getting some o-rings. Anybody know the size of the o-rings used in Firehammer, XTM and/or Smartech Traveller? I can measure one the next time I take the shock apart but would prefer to be ready with new o-rings at that time. Also, what are the shock o-rings usually made of (polypropelene)?

Duratrax only sells a "rebuild kit". It looks like the only parts that wear out in the shock (that I can tell) will be the o-rings and the upper shock mount (hole stretching). I would prefer to buy the o-rings in bulk to have plenty around (and spend a lot less on them).

Thanks for any additional help,
Ken
Old 09-17-2005, 07:21 AM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Getting ready to do mine.
Do they leak still?
How is the 60wt oil?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:51 AM
kengentry5000

I haven't been in large scale long enough to have a clue what the change in oil weight is doing to the car.

Sorry,
Ken