Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

fg vs smartech

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fg vs smartech

JUST SAY NO TO XTM (or at least the spares)! I have found the XTM 1:5 scale buggy parts are 8x - 10x higher than the exact same Duratrax Firemmer parts. I don't know if the base car price is any different (~$850 for the Firehammer at most places).

Ken
Old 08-19-2005, 04:41 PM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: hpiguy

When giving your opinions I think it is only fair if you also include the fact that YOU SELL SMARTECH VEHICLES!!
I am not giving an opinion but an evaluation. Since I have experienced both brands, I can safely say what I have said previously. Quite a number of comments are just opinions - i.e. they have never experienced the other brand and are giving their thoughts on it based on what they think is true.

Personally, I am not brand loyal. If anything is more affordable and have the same quality, I jump ship. In the USA, price difference possibly isn't as big as it is in Australia since your dollar is larger (i.e. low U$700s for Traveller vs low U$900s for Marder). Here you can buy a Smartech Traveller for under AU$1000 whereas an equivalent FG Marder will set you back AU$1500. Ask anyone in business and a 30% price premium will make most people to think twice.

With regards to XTM parts being expensive, that is simply how they want to target their business markets. The XTM brand is fairly available in the global sense, Carson almost exclusively in Europe and Firehammer exclusively for the US markets. Don't let their pricing structure turn you off, just pick the brand variant with the best pricing for your area.

The Smartech/Carson/XTM pinion gear is of a different size to the FG equivalent part. However, the spur gear is of the same size. Take a look back in the previous threads in this forum and you can see the photos from Hellya. Quite a large proportion (~80%) of the FG optional parts are an instant bolt on in the Smartech vehicles such as alloys, pipes, and brakes.

As mentioned previously, in the end it come down to spare parts availability and how much you are willing to spend. Both cars are just as tough, however one is a little more equipped than the other.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:51 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

JUST SAY NO TO XTM (or at least the spares)! I have found the XTM 1:5 scale buggy parts are 8x - 10x higher than the exact same Duratrax Firemmer parts. I don't know if the base car price is any different (~$850 for the Firehammer at most places).

Ken
If i had the option when i bought my car (there were no smartechs/firehammers back then) the price of replacement parts would probably have been a deciding factor. I probably would have gone with the firehammer only because the replacements are a good deal cheaper than fg and the fact that i can order them from tower is all the better.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:25 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

Ken

I got to agree here...Don't but anything off XTM directly their prices are highway robbery...Duratrax Firehammer parts are exactly the same things. The Smartech is also a clone and built the same way but as I stated the Smartech and XTM..DO NOT COME WITH DECENT AIR FILTERS...they WILL blow up if you run in real dusty area's or in sandy area's. As far as a metal pinion and spur goes...I'm looking into this more I can see one difference between the FG setup...the motor mount which the spur carrier goes through is different...that places the spur closer to the pinion which would mean moving the clone's rear closer to the layshaft gear which can be done by adding a beefup plate...I've also been in contact with a few gear companies...these gears are NOT made just for these things, they have other uses...soon as I can find one whom will make it I'll be sure and post the information....I burn quiet a few pinion and spurs off but I also run in high dirt area's and sandy enviorments alot.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:34 AM
squiz1

i do know that the complete fg drive train can be use to fit steel gears
but not shaw weather you need the big or small engine mount as well

squiz1
Old 08-20-2005, 02:14 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

squiz1,

Do yourself a favor and wait until you have enough money in your pocket to buy the best you can get. [8D] FG cars/parts may or may not be any better than the competition, but the upgrade parts are what you will be thinking about soon after your purchase. [&:] How can I upgrade my RC car?!! What do I want to buy first, the steel gears, or a pipe?!! I personally would hate to have to search through a compatibility list to see if any of the FG hop-ups would fit my Smartech, or try to modify those that don't.

These big things break. [&o] You will need parts. You will want to improve on the stock version. You will have to order parts via the Internet.

The simple fact is that there are tons of parts made for the FG buggies, beetles, and trucks. You won't have to wonder if they will fit yours-they are made for it!
Old 08-23-2005, 10:02 AM
squiz1

ok guys made my choice
im getting A FG MARDER BIG FOOT
so now i want to get some possible upgrades that are beneficial /like pipe/alloy uprights/alloy servo saver/ and so on with out going over board
maily parts for strenght and performace
Any ideas would be great

thanks

squiz1
Old 08-23-2005, 10:16 AM
SELWA

Servo saver and rear upper wishbone for strength to start. A pipe is nice but get use to the truck first. A pipe will give you more power, lots of torque!! The lower rear arms tend to have the turnbuclkes strip out after awhile. Get the longer turnbuckles and screw them in. This would be an in-expensive mod without changing to CNC or alloy ones. There's so much but first get use to the truck and enjoy it.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

SELWA, you have problems with your lower rear arms? I have stripped out several upper FRONT arms on my Firehammer but not had any trouble with the rear arms *YET*. I bash pretty hard with my car. What causes the problems with your rear arms stripping out?

Ken
Old 08-23-2005, 10:41 AM
SELWA

When I had the monster tires on and hit some big air. Not to mention during winter months too!

A lot has to do with they way it lands too. 25lbs is a bit too much when you go off some BMX jumps. I have all Elcon front and rear arms now so there are no more issues. These are not meant to jump too high. the fun is in the torque, speed and size!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:01 PM
auspilot

Hello

I recently purchased a Smartech F150 Monster Truck. My brother also purchased one and a mate of mine has the Smartech Traveller.

The things are pretty large. We've had a few minor & major stacks and minor teething probs but nothing out of the ordinary when you consider you thrash these things and power them with large engines. They are quite heavy when fully loaded, approx 10.5kgs so things will break.

Most of the non mechanical parts are plastic but dont really damage that easily. Really, the only things that get worn are the shock towers (about $6 AU for eight) and the major gear drives visible out the side (the large and small gear that you see through the plastic cover on the side and same as FG, Carson, XTM and Duratrax cars). These plastic gears cost $22 AU to replace the both. Pretty cheap when you consider they last a while and are the weekest part of the drive train. It is best to know what is going to break before it breaks and this is one predictable part. Almost all the parts are dirt cheap. All standard components are readily available in Australia and if they dont have them in stock, they turn up very quickly.

The hop-ups or upgrades are fairly available but need to be imported from overseas. Some components are similar to FG and can be used but FG parts are quite expensive. Some suppliers in Australia are starting to build their cache of hop-up weapons.

I have added a Jetpro exhaust and velocity stack/air filter to the standard G230RC on the truck and the thing hauls. It practically flips over if you floor the throttle off the mark or at low speeds. I have also purchased a 29cc billet head engine but have yet to install it so I dont know how it will go. I can see some big damage happening to the kids that chase the thing around when I am at the park!

Even with a monstrous exhaust and bigger power, I havent stripped the plastic gears yet. I have a few sets on stand-by and other bits and pieces in the spares box. All very cheap and easy to fit.

There is a hobby shop in Petersham, Sydney Australia that sells these things very cheap. It is the cheapest shop around and even beats importing one. The service is really good and after sales support is pretty good. You can pick up the F150 Monster Truck (excluding electronics) for under $1000 AU if you ask. All their prices are negotiable.
*********.com.au 412 Parramatta Rd Petersham +61 2 9564 0822
This hobby shop comes highly recommended from me.

I dont have a FG or have ever raced one, then again, I havent seen them round in Sydney shops. These things look nice and have all the upgrades you can buy but justifying the cost can be difficult. If you want a truck or buggy, the Smartech ones rock for the price. After all, who really cares about the attention to detail when you are thrashing around in the scrub, at the park, or exactly what your truck looks like when it is flying through the air.

The F150 truck is the right vehicle for me when you consider price, spares availability and price, my location only needing to deal with a local supplier, commonality with other brands, and the easy addition of hop-ups. I dare say that other brands of a similar truck have the benefits that I have in their local environment.

Cheers
Old 09-06-2005, 01:19 AM
squiz1

thanks and well said
I have got the fg now but still thinking weather i have made the right choice
TIME WILL TELL

thanks

squiz1
Old 09-06-2005, 01:45 AM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

There is no right and wrong if you go either way. Both are more than capable for their purpose.

With the FG, you do pay a premium but as the reward, you obtain great aftermarket sales support, wide variety of spare parts & hopups at your fingertips and researching an upgrade/spare part is very easy as a lot of folks have bought an FG. But again, you will also pay a premium on the spare parts.

With the Smartech vehicles, you do pay less but don't be misled that the quality is inferior. The kit quality stock vs. stock is better equipped than FG (included gear cover, anodized everything, etc.) but don't expect much after market support. The good news is most of the parts are exchangeable to the FG vehicles and although spare parts are not exactly easy to find, they are an absolute hoot in affordability.

So in the end it comes to your experience in 5th scale. If you know nothing about it, the safest and most assuring way to enjoy it is to go for an FG, their price premium really does buy your comfort.

If you know your stuff in large scale RC, go with the Smartech and mix and match if required. You'll save a decent amount of money and physically, you don't get anything less than an FG.