Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Monster Truck and Buggy owners, tire question.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Monster Truck and Buggy owners, tire question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 05:19 PM
JQuest64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Truck and Buggy owners, tire question.

Hey all, great board with some excellent info.

I have just entered the larger scale arena with the purchase of an FG MT.

After opening the box, I realize I waited too long to do it, these things are sweet.

Anywho, I am getting ready to set the rig up and had a question on the tires. Do you recommend foams, or just gluing and drilling for the tire setup. I read through some topics here, but for some reason I cannot narrow down my search enough to find really useful info. I got some, but would really like a good consensus of the group. The MT will mostly be used for free running and bashing, no serious racing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Any other ideas or recommendations for a newb to the scale, but not to the hobby would be appreciated as well.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:28 PM
p113

Default RE: Monster Truck and Buggy owners, tire question.

hi although i dont have the MT tires i have the marder stud 1s i have no foam in them and i have no probs and i know few people put foam in but 2 stop the tires going flat on the bottom drill a hole in the rim 2 let air flow in and out and thats all i would do
Old 08-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Doohan

Dont waste your money on foam, glue your tyres then drill one small 2 or 3 mm hole on the inside of the rim.
Save up for front brakes, the rears are crap.
And the standard FG diff is poo.....get ready to update it sooner rather than later.
Most important...KEEP YA AIR FILTER CLEAN....I have 4 spare and change it after every tank.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:05 PM
radio_controlled_mad

do the foams not come with a new mt - i know they did with both my marder and leopard,if you do have the foams theres no harm in fitting them,if anything they keep the tyre inshape whilst your model is stored unless you have r/c stand to keep the wheels off the surface when not in use.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:45 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing with the monster tires is that when they are glued on properly, they tend to be a bit bouncy (like balloons) and the vehicle is more difficult to control. [:-] Installing the foams does not change the fact, so you will still have to drill holes (to let air escape) on the inside of the rim or between the treads of the tires themselves (this is the way mine is set-up). You will get dirt and or water between the rims and the tires, so you need to be able to squeeze the water/mud out. Foam will soak up the water and you will then have wobbly, off-balanced tires. I personally do not use foams and even though the tire may flatten out a bit if it sets on the ground for a period of time, they return to their original shape when you drive away.

Good Luck with the MT!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:46 PM
p113

yeh putting foam in the larger scale tires is a waste of time although the 1/10scale tires and similer sizes need them i found be4 i went 2 large scale just to them flaring up at speed and the smallerones dont have the same kind of sidewall support as the fg ones do oh and i just got some MT tires for my marder there far better and make the studs look small but the best thing is the grip they give ive left the stock gearing on cus i have a samba pipe and the higher gearing is far better because doing wheeles is pointless
Old 08-22-2005, 04:58 AM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't explain it but when I tried foams in the Monster tyres the car flipped more often.

Probably solvable with suspension tweaking but it seems a lot of unnecessary hassle.

Store the car with wheels off the ground to avoid flat spots.......... sounds obvious but you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't think of it A brick under the chassis is all you need.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:32 AM
p113

yeh it can help you shocks too
Old 08-22-2005, 06:45 AM
JQuest64

Thanks for all the responses, it sounds like no foam is the way to go. Glad I asked, coming from 1/10th nitro where foams are a must, I was prepared to make some up for the MT.

It is funny you said to use a brick, that is exactly what I have always used for my other rigs!!
Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

The MT tires are belted so they will never ballon up like the nitro's. I've seen the foam work pretty good and guys without the foam jump at BMX track without doing any damage to their trucks!! Alot depends on you suspension. Despite what people say these are not ment to jump very high. When you do you're asking for problems and repairs. That's why you never see races in the UK with huge jumps. Only 1 - 2 feet at the most if that at all. It's driving skills not jumping skills.