Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

How to remove layshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 02:46 PM
EFF GEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove layshaft?

I had a bad crash today when a tiny flatout jump landed to steeply towards the front and dug into the grass ,resulting in an airbourn spin of countless revolutions and landing hard on the rear wing before taking of again and doing even more damage. Some of its just cosmetic but the main damage is both aluminium roll cage strentgheners broke, both rear upper suspension arms broke,the rear brake square thread has stripped (don't know why this happened ) and my layshaft gear has lost two teeth.[&o][] Now i have no brakes and it makes a nasty sound with the teeth missing.......i can't use it.[]

So,i need to remove my layshaft to replace my layshaft gear but is there any easy way of doing this because i just can't get the grub screw out of the gear to pull the layshaft out. Is there a specific way of replacing the gear, or does anyone know of a website that shows how to do it as my Marder was bought secondhand and came with no intructions.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to remove layshaft?

The grub screw is glued in place. Apply heat to it to break the glue bond and try again, holding a soldering iron on the screw for a minute or so should do the trick.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:59 PM
radio_controlled_mad

take off the engine mounts with layshaft still attached - then take of the c clip and remove the spur gear on the opposite end. the grub screws are thread locked on and are pain in the arse to get out without rounding the head - use decent alun keys to remove,cheap tools do more damage then good as i have found to my cost.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:35 PM
EFF GEE

Thanks for the help ,i've taken the engine out, just need a good allen key now and new parts and i'll be away again hopefully.

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:03 AM
EFF GEE

Can anyone tell me what the correct name for the layshaft gear is, as i'm looking on e-bay and the pictures don't look right to some of the gears that sound like the right one.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:53 AM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[link=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FG-MARDER-LAYSHAFT-AND-PINION-GEAR_W0QQitemZ5994110036QQcategoryZ19168QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Layshaft pinion on eBay[/link]

Layshaft pinion is what I've always called it, people seem to know what I mean so guess it's a close enough.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:07 AM
chevyman_de

ORIGINAL: Pigsmightfly

[link=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FG-MARDER-LAYSHAFT-AND-PINION-GEAR_W0QQitemZ5994110036QQcategoryZ19168QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Layshaft pinion on eBay[/link]
Please note that this is the narrow 16T pinion (#6431). Late Marder models come with a wide pinion (#6431/1) and a wide spur gear on the diff.