Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Price seems too good to be true

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:01 AM
rainman777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price seems too good to be true

Here in Australia I'm looking at almost $A1600 for a new FG MT. I saw an Austrian firm, Raco (http://www.raco.co.at) is offering one for €642, which equates to around $A1041. Even with postage Down Under, that's got to be a huge saving. Does anybody have any experience with this firm? Are there any hidden 'extras' or is what you see what you pay? And do any Aussies reading this have experience of the cost involved in posting one of these beasts all the way here? I'm not looking for anybody to go slagging the firm off, all I would like to know is, is it a good firm to deal with? The price seems cheaper than anywhere else (in the world seemingly).
Old 08-28-2005, 06:09 AM
original.mb

Default RE: Price seems too good to be true

hi guy,

never checked that site before could be a bargain but in the r/c world you never know

have you thought about overseas ordering? maybe from hobbytek in germany?or www.kingcobra.co.uk , www.kevsracingbits.co.uk or .com .com can't quite remember or www.sbracing.co.uk
Old 08-28-2005, 06:27 AM
radio_controlled_mad

raco is huge company in europe - i was going to by marder race from them untill rossendales in uk matched there prices - the only thing you will get stung on is custom charges as your buying outside of europe - not sure how much this is as ea country varies - i know to buy outside europe in the uk you add 17.5% if customs check your parcel - sometimes you get away with it some times you dont.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:34 AM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

rainman777 - That price is pretty much what the FG MT5 sells in Europe.

To bring it back to Australia (I believe the 642 Euro price is ex. VAT), you will have to add 100-200 Euro (approx.) in shipping and once it arrives in Australia, you will be charged 5% duty on the kit and then another 10% on the total package of the kit + postage.

So this brings the cost to ~AU$1422 - AU$1605 which is similar to the price over here.

If you happen to travel to Austria and carry light luggage, then yes, its a very attractive purchase Unfortunately with Europe orders, to save on their 17% tax/VAT, the shop you buy them from need to declare the price of the kit they are selling to customs, otherwise they will not receive their VAT rebate back from the government - so in simple terms, there isn't a way around customs fees.

You can however purchase the Smartech Bigfoot MT for somewhere around AU$1200 in Oz.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Doohan

rainman777, I got mine from here: http://www.rc-car-online.de/
This is also another good place: http://www.netshop.nl/shop/rc/enter.html
What's the best price you have from the Australian distributor?
Old 08-28-2005, 11:17 AM
hellya

I get packages all the time from Europe, vehicle parts and FG vehicles........ I haven't had to pay a import tax yet but I live in the USA.
In Australia, If the package is marked as a hobby do you still have to pay import ????or is it when your over certain $$$$ amount?
Old 08-28-2005, 12:12 PM
radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: hellya

I get packages all the time from Europe, vehicle parts and FG vehicles........ I haven't had to pay a import tax yet but I live in the USA.
In Australia, If the package is marked as a hobby do you still have to pay import ????or is it when your over certain $$$$ amount?
you get import regardless what country you live in by law - i think in the usa your not allowed to buy anything over the value of $30 without been liable for v.a.t - i know the uk is £16 - if it is a higher value than that you have to put a custom decleration form on the parcel - most items get through customs without been checked,but they do randomley pick an imbound plain or boat & check everything on it anything over value you get charged your countrys v.a.t + customs handling - they look for receipts ect in package or what values are declared on the decleration - most of the time parcels get through - this year i purchased ram from usa for my pc for $600 when it was delivered royal mail wouldnt hand it over unless i paid £70 customs & vat also purchased zen engine from oniells racing and got stung on that,but 4 weeks prior i purchased 2 head kits and zen engine from same place with a higher value and that got through no probs - if you buy on ebay you see alot of the bigger sellers state they will not fiddle custom form declerations and values as it voids the insureance if anything goes misssing.it dont matter what country you live in there is always a chance of getting stung.i know if i sell any items on ebay over £16 you have to fill a decleration form or if it is under £16 you declare it as a gift - i also see those forms on parcels i buy from usa,asia so on.its all about luck - but sometimes its still cheaper to buy from other countrys even if you do get stung.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:13 PM
hellya

I paid $750 for my sportsline From the U.K. only cost me $75 shipping...... no Import tax

I order between $750-1000 worth of 1/5 car parts from Germany every month for my website. I pay 36-42 euros shipping, it gets delivered everytime to my house (marked as a gift)... no import tax

The packages are insured everytime for the value of the content ..........Mabey i'm just lucky???
Old 08-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Doohan

Here in Australia, anything under $1000 AUD that comes in by normal post is fine, over $1000 and we have to pay 5% duty and 10% goods and services tax. But if it comes in non-post such as UPS or DHL....the limit is only $250 AUD.
Its almost always cheaper for us to buy overseas for everything as the hobby stores here suck and are a rip off.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:58 PM
radio_controlled_mad

here in the uk its £16 limet before 17.5% v.a.t & customs handling charges are added - but out of hundreds of items i have bought over last few years only been caught out 3 times even then still worked out alot cheaper to buy abroad.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:22 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: hellya

I paid $750 for my sportsline From the U.K. only cost me $75 shipping...... no Import tax

I order between $750-1000 worth of 1/5 car parts from Germany every month for my website. I pay 36-42 euros shipping, it gets delivered everytime to my house (marked as a gift)... no import tax

The packages are insured everytime for the value of the content ..........Mabey i'm just lucky???
Same here, I paid just over $700 shipped for my marder from the netherlands....no VAT.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:28 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Veron

hi guy,

never checked that site before could be a bargain but in the r/c world you never know

have you thought about overseas ordering? maybe from hobbytek in germany?or www.kingcobra.co.uk , www.kevsracingbits.co.uk or .com .com can't quite remember or www.sbracing.co.uk

Do you post anything that doesn't contain those links? How much they all paying you for spamming them links in every post you make?
Old 08-28-2005, 06:52 PM
hellya

YEP its ok for sum but not for others...... thats how it works