Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Why is everyone so hung up on Hitec?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Why is everyone so hung up on Hitec?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 02:31 PM
JQuest64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is everyone so hung up on Hitec?

Just about everywhere I asked, everyone recommended the Hitec 5745MG as a great mid range steering servo for the FG.
Logically I bought one when I got my MT, and it baked in about a week. Had end points set well, nothing binding, steering arms were equal in length. Everything worked great, yet POOF.

I went to LHS and was instructed to send it back to Hitec, as I had already installed it. No replacements were available, so I went with a Futaba S-5301MG and put it in. Roughly the same price as the Hitec.
I installed the Futaba, and it works noticeably better then the Hitec ever did.

So I have to ponder, just why is every one so hung up on the Hitec for steering? Is it possible that the Hitec was faulty from the get go? Has the Hitec just garnered this much attention because of the low price tag and availability?
I just do not understand what it is?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:47 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Why is everyone so hung up on Hitec?

Good marketing by Hitec?

I have a Hitec 645MG in my 1:10 electric truck for steering and have had no trouble. I bought a Hitec 5945 for my Duratrax Firehammer throttle/brake servo. I had the end points and failsafe programmed into it. So far, no problems.

I am still using the standard Futaba S3302 1:4 scale steering servo included with the car from Duratrax. It's a metal gear unit with ball bearings but is not digital. It seems to do the job for me (probably not as good as pros would like).

I bought the 5945 for its built-in failsafe. The included Duratrax failsafe was faulty and I did not like the idea of another piece of electronics in my car. Eventually I would like to upgrade the radio with one that has a failsafe built into the receiver but that is a way down the road.

Ken
Old 08-29-2005, 02:50 PM
madgti

affordable
water proof
has enough power

You have to think about the amount of hitec servos being produced. Someone will eventually run into a lemon with the amount of servos they produce. I burnt 2 One HS 5745 that lasted 1 minute and the servo was only idling, and the other one i forgot what happend. But both gaved out almost right after i installed it and i also had the end points setup correctly.

For some reason I am still a hitec fan. My new one has been in the truck for like almost 2 months and no problems.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:51 PM
radio_controlled_mad

there aint many fully mg geared digi servos with 18kg of torque for the price of hitec 5745 - in the past i used futaba 3302 that cost roughly the same but they were nylon geared (exept final gear) - had half the torque and were not digi - so i choose hitec 5745 for value for money.prob just a case of bad luck about one of yours stalling - but i bought 2 futaba s9351 digi servos to run hydro and throttle on my marder at the cost of £120 ea and one has packed in after only 8 weeks - even then they only had 2 hours use,going to replace those with hitec 5945 which are the same spec for less than half the price.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Monstrous

my dad had the same 5745 in his marder for 2 years and its still going strong, not had one problem (touch wood) and i have one in my marder for about 6 months and had no problems either

Monstrous
Old 08-29-2005, 03:33 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

The Hitec 5745 is the easiest to get. For a dealer to get the Futaba you have to go through great plains and pay the same price(dealer price) as they sell if for on their site(the joy of a monopoly). From what I found out today, there are even less choices, I wanted to order the Multiplex Rhino and my distributor said, the they are not going to be produced for a while. I stock Hitec because they are good servos and are very easy to get. I have a 5735 that has been used for almost 2 years now without any issues. It is true, you do get some bad batches on them every now and then but they are a good quality metal gear large scale servo.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:37 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I used to work in home audio/video sales for several years before getting my college degree. Our store had a 30 day over-the-counter defective exchange policy. The reason that was in place was simple - If a piece of electronics is going to go out on you it's usually within the first month of use. If there is a component quality issue, it will show up rather quickly under stress. The store I worked at sold Linn, Nakamichi, NAD, Yamaha and other name brand gear. Over time any brand of gear will have a bad egg. The better brands do more burn-in (quality checks) before shipment but as volume production increases or costs are reduced, quality control can diminish pushing the burden to the consumer.

I hope the dealer who sold you that Hitec servo will gladly hand over a replacement and not make you go through normal warranty channels to get it repaired or replaced.

Good luck,
Ken
Old 08-29-2005, 03:40 PM
radio_controlled_mad

i read a thread on another site that the mulitplex rhino and hitec 5745 are actually the same servo inside - they hitec website has multiplex logos displayed on its start page
Old 08-29-2005, 03:40 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

I went thru a few Hitec's on my rc cars and won't ever use them again...even with factory replacement lets face it...a servo should last more than 20-30 seconds...I won't use any Hitec's in my planes...can't afford a failing servo there I do use their radio's for flying but thats it..I've been slowly changing all my cars over to Futaba's....the servo's by all these companies are mass produced in pretty much what are considered sweat shops and they aren't tested as alot claim...I've had Hitec's,JR's and Futaba bad right out the box already...so maybe since Hitec's a little cheaper than some is why we see more reports on it failing...who knows I just know I refuse to use them anymore
Old 08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
madgti

I was lucky to have both my servos exchanged for 2 new ones from my local hobby shop. My bro burnt one also and one hobby shop here said no for over the counter exchange.

Your local hobby shop can take the servo back and just say to the supplier that it was D.O.A providing it is in excellent condition while giving you another one head ache free.

Hope your LHS understands your position.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:03 PM
mightycasey
Banned

I think the hs 5745mg servo is under rated for the FG MT truck. It is fine for the on road and off road buggies but not for the MT with those really big tires. The servo you selected (Futaba S5301 has more power(292 oz) but less speed (.29-.23) but is a better choice for a steering servo. I prefer the hs 805 servo more power and the same speed as the hs 5745 servo but a larger case. I never was a fan of digital servos. I would use at least 300 oz min for steering for the FG mt. More is better. 2 servo with a total 400 oz is much better than 1 servo with 250 oz any day.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:00 PM
jeepfreak1972

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

i read a thread on another site that the mulitplex rhino and hitec 5745 are actually the same servo inside - they hitec website has multiplex logos displayed on its start page
I contacted Hitec about that rumor and they said the are 2 completely different servos with different gears and electronics. My 5745 fried also. Now I have 2 $29.00 tower giant scale servos with .15 speed and 343 oz. of torque each. Thought I would give them a try. Then I find out they are made by Hitec anyway. They are holding up so far even with the nylon gears. If these go i'm switching to futaba giant scale servos. S5302 .15 and 236 oz @6v. I will use 2 of them.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Cyberfyn

Cos they are cheap.... That means unreliable.

Multiplex or Futaba all the way

Ian F.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:14 AM
Automan

I have had Hitec and still using Hitec with no problems at all. One is the old 5645mg that i have had a long time now with no problems, and recently got the 5998TG i think it's called, and that is strong and reliable to. And i have had Voltz they to sound loud (high pitched sound when turned on, an yes.. they where perfectly adjusted) but worked also prefect, and now i mainly use personal favorite Multiplex, they just feel rock solid performance.

Hitec [sm=thumbup.gif]
Voltz [sm=thumbup.gif]
Multiplex [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-30-2005, 07:35 AM
ammdrew

the Rhino is the same as the 5745 with exception to a larger output shaft and a slight gearing change, touch slower more torque, we see the exact same failure rate in the rhino / hitec steering servos.

Futabas have tended to break gear trains in the steering of onroad cars. We also see the same failure rate with KO servos.
The most reliable servo once you get a good working setup has proven to be the hitec 5745.

The servo is still a bit on the slower side of the spectrum and when you go to a slower servo you have to drive very much in front of the car. This is not a problem for the average person playing in a field or backyard. but heavy jumping were you need to be able to control entry exit and flight, or any type of door to door track racing require the ability to catch the car or turn the car at full speed. that is were the faster servo really comes in.

the tonwega once modified is a excellent answer but also has a incredible fail ratio.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:00 AM
JQuest64

It's good to hear some are having good experiences with the Hitecs.

It does appear that the Multiplex may be the way to go down the road. I am also contemplating going the dual servo route. So far the Futaba is holding its own however.
I guess when you get into vehicles of this size, any steering servo will tend to fry, they certainly get alot of stress especially when trying to turn the monster tires.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Automan

ammdrew, I'm not totally convinced that the Multiplex Rhino digi4 is the same as Hitec 5745MG, i have had both, and are still skeptical that they are the same (apart from gearing and axel as you said). Would like to see some proof before I'm convinced, not that it bother me anyways, as i have had very good experience with them both [sm=thumbup.gif]

Hitec servos works very well, so there is no surprise to me at least that they are popular, and Futaba works great to, and Multiplex, Voltz, in my experience and what i have heard.

Just remember to adjust them right, and make sure the endpoints are correct, and there is no strain on them in neutral position, then you should be totally ok to drive and enjoy it for a long time.
And it's better to have a little to strong servo, instead of to weak.. just something to think about, and don't forget to check if it gets hot to be sure it's not overworked.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:33 PM
BILKO1

So far i have had 4 5745's and 3 645's die on me[:@] but still i buy them while i was waiting for my last 5745 to get replaced i bought the Multiplex rhino so far so good. I was just unlucky seems my lhs got a bad batch.