Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

KPD hydraulic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KPD hydraulic brakes

Hi all

ive been running front cable discs on my marder for about 4 months now and they are working great, but i think i'd like to upgrade to hydros's.

i orginally bougth the tuning set which were £125, but browsing around on SG models revealed the [link=http://www.sgmodels.com/details.asp?ID=5843]KPD Mk3 hydraulic brake set[/link] for a very reasonable £155, but im wondering if i will notice much difference between the cable's and hydro's??

i was also told that i will need a new radio plate for the master cylinder to mount to, is this true? ive seen the [link=http://www.sgmodels.com/details.asp?ID=7718]KPD radio plate[/link]
on SG's site and it says for multiplex servo's, will my hitec 5745 fit? and will i need to buy those plastic blocks for the servos seperately, or will they come with it?

Thanks

Monstrous
Old 09-01-2005, 08:08 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: KPD hydraulic brakes

You should ask Hellya about his brakes, I believe it will be even cheaper than the KPD set and comes prebled and is of much sturdier construction.

It will be more than a noticeable difference jumping from cable to hydro. The same difference as replacing a stock exhaust with a tuned pipe.

You will need to drill a custom hole on your chassis to mount the brake master cylinder but (again do refer to Hellya) if memory recalls correctly, you do not need a new radio tray.

Unlike onroad, most offroaders use only front hydros and stock/cable rears.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:11 AM

cool cheers,

i will ask hellya about his, or maybe he could tell me if you see this post

i wouldnt convert the rear to hydros, but i might stick my cable set on the back

Monstrous
Old 09-01-2005, 08:15 AM

hi,

i have fg cable brakes installed and i have the kp designs mark 3 hydros with carbon fibre disc brakes ready to install.

basically hydros are way more responsive and yes indeed you will see a major difference in braking power. hydros are much more efficient and reliable than cable brakes in the long run. people only really ever used the hydros for comp. racing but with the release of the fg monster range people feel the need to be able to stop quicker and safer than before as i can imagine a knock from an fg mt would probably break bones[X(].

when i wanted to go the hydro route i did my homework at the time and it came to my conclusion threw research and performance stats that kp designs mark 3 brakes are the best for value, performance, reliablity and also maintenance, thats what sold it for me but if you wanna be extra sure ask some of the members that have them installed i can gurantee that none of them will have a bad word to say about them thats how confident i am

hope this helps?

peace
Old 09-01-2005, 09:01 AM

My choice after reading everything i can find about it:

These first two almost share first place, price/performance, and these first 3 are my personal favorites.
KP design mark3 (little extra performance, good price)
Hellyas nice brakes (good performance, and very nice price, only one that comes RTR)
Collari (extremely nice design, and good performance, but expensive) (i like thier design very much)

and lower down..
magura (fg) brakes (good performance, but little bit overpriced)

That's my personal list
Old 09-01-2005, 09:38 AM
My Feedback: (4)

I bought KPD mark3s back when Mike owned FGPerformance and was really pushing KPD and KCR. I love them and could have sold several pairs to my friends but they have become very difficult to buy locally. If I lived in a country where the were readily available I would have them on every rc I own. The only negative I have found with the KPDs on the monstertruck is that they limit articulation in the front due to the location of the 90 degree hose fitting vs the upper a-arm.
Veron: do you have the same problem? Please post a pic of your set-up from the front view. Hellyas brakes look nice and the price is right but you are in england and should be able to walk in to a store and buy KPs without having to pay for shipping.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:09 AM
My Feedback: (1)

It seems that shipping, taxes, duty and other costs always make it less attractive to buy.

In Canada there is only 1 distributor and the prices are pretty good. However if you want aftermarket products you need to go elsewhere. I looked at the KPD stuff and it's sweet. Not the same finish as Elcon but much thinker and solid!!! Hard anodized too. But you pay for all of that!!! The guy brought the stuff in for me to take a look at and it was tempting. The rear arms are solid (no adjsutments) and they come with a diff riser so you diff will clear the chassis. Best of both worlds!!

Old 09-01-2005, 10:45 AM

No alloy radio plate needed, no alloy uprights needed.
You will not have to drill a mounting hole in your chassis for your master cylinder, look behind the battery holder, there are 2 holes already there. You will need some servo linkage and mabey some longer 440 rods and about 10-20 mins. to install

Heres a link for installation tips

http://www.fg-hopups.com/FGHOPUPS.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53129.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	318395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30484.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	318396  
Old 09-01-2005, 10:46 AM

well i think i'll go for them as it sounds like they are good brakes

people who have them, tell me please, did you have to buy that radio plate to fit them?

and finally, how hard is it to install them, im guessing the worst part is bleeding them?

Thanks for all the help guys

Monstrous
Old 09-01-2005, 10:59 AM

With most hydro brakes you have to assemble them and bleed them,,,, My brakes are shipped, assembled, prefit and prebleed

A Alloy radio plate is not required......... if you do want one, make it yourself. Use your radio plate as a template. Get some 3mm thick slabs, a dremal and a hack saw.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:26 AM

sorry to be a dumbass, but where is the hole i need to drill, im confused[&:]

and i dont want an alloy radio plate, i thought you needed one, so now im happier

Thanks

Monstrous
Old 09-01-2005, 11:33 AM

would advise alloy uprights regardless of what hydro you decide on - plastic hubs flex with the pressure and tend to either warp the discs or damage the piston.make sure you can get a good stock of replcement parts for you hydros for in the future - basic things like pads and discs,or replacement piston,nipples and seals,i know these can be purchased as seperate items for fg magura,kpd and colleri ect. some times worth paying that little extra for hydros when you know a simple part can be ordered from your fg dealer / lhs - ive seen so many after market hydros on websites lately that offer the brake but dont seem to have spare parts or even simple part numbers listed.like anything in life - you get what you pay for.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:37 AM

the site i plan to order them off stocks the discs, calipers, pads, hoses, and cylinder and all respective parts

Monstrous
Old 09-01-2005, 11:39 AM

yes fg magura are overpriced in uk £230 + delivery but they are a mint break with spare parts available at any fg dealer - you can get the fg magura for £150 inc shipping from germany - the same price as you pay for kpd which are just as good.i use magura front and back and cant fault them - but you do need a high torque servo 8kg min 11kg reccomended no matter on what hydro you decide on.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:41 AM

i will get a HS945MG then and run that, i think it has 11.4 KG of torque

Monstrous
Old 09-01-2005, 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

would advise alloy uprights regardless of what hydro you decide on - plastic hubs flex with the pressure and tend to either warp the discs or damage the piston.make sure you can get a good stock of replcement parts for you hydros for in the future - basic things like pads and discs,or replacement piston,nipples and seals,i know these can be purchased as seperate items for fg magura,kpd and colleri ect. some times worth paying that little extra for hydros when you know a simple part can be ordered from your fg dealer / lhs - ive seen so many after market hydros on websites lately that offer the brake but dont seem to have spare parts or even simple part numbers listed.like anything in life - you get what you pay for.
I know I carry all the replacement parts for the brakes and even got part ###
I have had the plastic uprights for awhile with no problems but I had to upgrade to alloy uprights when I put my offroad brake covers on...... heat is not an issue when offroading..... but dont use the covers for onroad driving where you apply the brakes constantly

In the end the choice is yours what brand to purchase but I think hydros are better than cable thats just my 2 cents

Name:	Yw68066.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	318407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59262.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	318408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25825.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	318409  
Old 09-01-2005, 12:08 PM

what kind of servo do i need to operate the hydro or cable brakes? Also will i be able to use FG disc brake replacement parts for hellyas incase they wear down?

I am contimplating on the hellya hydro or the 2 speed conversion, and alloy diff housing.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Monstrous

sorry to be a dumbass, but where is the hole i need to drill, im confused

Thanks

Monstrous
No drilling needed..... look behind your steering servo, behind your battery holder, just in front of your gas tank.
There should be 2 holes in your chasis, 1 on the left side, 1 on the right side, these holes are for mounting the brake mastercylinder

Name:	Qn38390.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	318424  
Old 09-01-2005, 12:15 PM

i think i see them, are they the ones infront of the roll cage struts??

and if the master cylinder is down there, how does the linkage from the servo work?? so confused lol

what i really need is a pic of someones radio plate with the same setup

Monstrous

EDIT: just seen the pic you added hellya, thanks just waht i needed, will i get that post to hold the master cylinder up, in the kit?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: madgti

what kind of servo do i need to operate the hydro or cable brakes? Also will i be able to use FG disc brake replacement parts for hellyas incase they wear down?

I am contimplating on the hellya hydro or the 2 speed conversion, and alloy diff housing.
FG brake parts will not work as the brakes are not the same but www.fg-hopups.com does sell all the replacements parts needed.

I use a HS525BB works great... Everything in this photo comes with the kit.... except its all assembled prefitted and prebled

Name:	Nl28586.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	318425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67250.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	318426  
Old 09-01-2005, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: madgti

i use futaba s9351 to run my hydro 13kg torque but there £120ea - hitec 5945mg are same spec and less than half the price - i dont see the point of putting 2 speed on off roader - me personally dont get the chance to hit full throttle for long periods of time to use two speed when at local track - if you use your fg in a large flat open field than i guess 2 speed would be fun!!! decent brakeing is must though.

Name:	Lj23748.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	318439  
Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 PM

hellya your cylinder is mounted in the chassi so some plp might need to drill - your useing the holes were the older style radio tray fits,if your fg is more than 1 1/2 yr old you will have the older version of the chassi which means you need to drill holes to mount the cylinder & stud bar - no hard ship thoiugh only takes a min.the newer chassi has i think 2 or 3 holes spare around/behind the battery so you can mount both styles of the fg radio tray without the need to drill.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:08 PM

hellya

how much would it be for a set of those brakes shipped to the UK roughly?

they look very good and much easier to install than the KPD ones

Thanks

Monstrous
Old 09-01-2005, 01:23 PM

you got a pm
Old 09-01-2005, 02:18 PM

just out of interest, could someone explain to me the workings of these brakes, i know the basics like the pads and discs etc. but could someone explain to me how the matser cylinder works and the pistons in the calipers or whatever?

Thanks, would be appreciated

Monstrous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.