Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

29cc motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:22 PM
busa 2002
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29cc motor?

anyone running oneils racing 29cc motor.did you have gear up.is it too much power for mt5 or is it ok to run with out beefing up drive train.thinking of getting one
Old 10-31-2005, 09:42 PM
tizdaz

Default RE: 29cc motor?

Why would you want a 29cc!?

26cc is fast damn fast/powerful for a 1/5 especially with a tuned pipe & gears only time i would consider a bigger engine is if/when i decided to upgrade to 4WD
Old 11-01-2005, 03:45 AM
HeatFire

rctruckz... it's allways more power, more weight, more 4wd, more inches.. more torque... more trucks

well 29cc would be fun 29cc and a tuned pipe.. wohooo
well.. you shouldnt need to upgrade i think.. i've never heard anyone done that with a tuned pipe(or with 29cc).. so i guess not..
Old 11-01-2005, 04:13 AM
StefanL

I´d say you´ll have to upgrade the drivetrain. I can´t imagine that the plastic gears can take even a bit of the torque and stress put out by the 29cc and monster truck wheels.

We´re talking dogbone-twisting torque, so be prepared to invest in a good set of hardened steel gears.

If it was me though I´d concentrate on other upgrades. I thought along the same lines as you, but after getting a tuned pipe for my Zenoah I realize that good disc brakes and control are much more important than raw power. I wouldn´t want a standard 1:6 offroad with a 29cc race engine but without any handling or "safety" upgrades.

Stefan
Old 11-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Australis

my truck has the stuffed crank and 29cc sikk upgrade and jetpro tuned pipe from oneils.
i havent had too many probs with it, just the odd stripped spur, but thats from bad landings.
have a home made wheely bar, that is a must for sealed roads.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:05 AM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

I have the exact same config as Australis but my truck is the Smartech Bigfoot MT.

Its very twitchy on super dusty roads (due to 2WD?)- so much so that my truck plunged into a ditch that was filled with water deep enough to cover the truck up to the electronics [X(]

Thank goodness for the twin FG/TGN redneck filter combined with the super sticky air filter oil, no water seemed to gotten inside the engine and I luckily siliconed the radio boxes, etc. A quick flip to get the water out and pull the throttle and bam, away we go!

I never stripped a spur, haven't found a suitable place to jump properly yet - too many flat spots here

But yes, 29cc + tuned pipe is absolutely wicked! Might be too much power for a buggy though due to the smaller wheels. Just watch those brakes as you will be stopping longer distances.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:39 PM
2pock

I too have the same set-up,only difference is an added Juice Box . But "NOPE" , no problems except a seriously melted gear carrier! Havent really had her WOT( kinda scared ), but I have punched her a few times and flipped her right on her top
Old 11-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Whatever you do, Zenoah or no engine at all.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:39 PM
HeatFire

just something i learned from my uncle (he droped a chainsaw into a lake) if you think you got water in the engine... just pull.. pull until it starts then run it for awile so everything is out i guess you should upgrade the diff after awile anyway to get a better one the spur should be kept plastic for saving the diff and other parts
Old 11-02-2005, 09:36 PM
busa 2002

well motor is on orderd if too much power will be gearing up.my car weighs in at 22pounds should realy fly.ihave xtm buggy with monster truck tires fg.has fg pipe now and boost bottle its lifts wheels up now with no problem.should be insane
Old 11-02-2005, 10:56 PM
gonsped69

If my monster truck is already insane, your buggy should be even more. You won't be dissapointed!

Heatfire - yea, it was a bit of a shock since when we arrived at this temp construction site, the ditch was hidden and nobody saw the water until the truck dissapeared and then we saw a splash. I think everyone was stunned silent for a fraction of a second but I believe the truck was in there for about 10 seconds.

The engine died as part of the water was covering the bottom of the air filter and it was starved of O2. But pulling it out and tipping it quickly over and back, 3 pulls and alive she went.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:40 PM
MrMikeG

Wet motor is no big deal, however wet electrics suck. If you get your motor wet make sure you run it long enough to build enough heat to dry the insides out. Water in the bearings will ruin a good motor. A big gulp of water can bend your cylinder,rod and wreck your piston. Most times the motor stops from a wet flywheel, however if you suck some in then pull the plug, turn the truck upside down and pull it over a couple of times to drain the water through the plug hole. It is posible to bend stuff with the pull starter if the water is left inside!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:00 AM
gonsped69

Excellent point MikeG - It seems the engine died pretty quick but I don't think any got inside the engine as the dual FG filter + redneck air filter is quite thick on its own in addition to the super viscous air filter oil impregnated within these filters.

I ran the car for an additional 15 mins after the mishap and shelved it that day.

Went cleaning with a hose (moderate water pressure) the next afternoon staying away from the air filter. But I did hose the electronics since I plugged every hole with silicon and connected the batteries (Tamiya style) which seems quite waterproof. I quickly sprayed a good dose of WD-40 on the electrics and metal parts.

Once done, 3-4 pulls and she fired to life again. Good stuff (so far )

This will be my cleaning routine and see how good the truck stand up to the torture