Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Break-in an engine with Amsoil Saber

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Break-in an engine with Amsoil Saber

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 07:13 PM
mim1212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in an engine with Amsoil Saber

Hey Guys,

Quick question, is it wise to break-in an engine with Amsoil Synthetic or should I just use a regular 2 stroke oil like Castrol A747? I am break-in my MB tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:34 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Break-in an engine with Amsoil Saber

regular oil is best so the cylinder walls wear correctly. After you replace your ring, run synthetic.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Performance RC

We have broken in with Amsoil and haven't needed to replace any parts afterward. There is a new Amsoil available called Dominator, it is a high performance racing oil, we have had great reliability with it even when I tend to run it leaner than most guys (70:1). When I tear down the engines they still look like new.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:50 PM
mymerc68

hello fellow rc'ers i bought my mt-5 cuz i was getting tired of nitro engine b.s. and i must say i love it. i started out with amsoil saber from the very first tank full I tend to run my mix on the rich side for the sake of longer life. my first few tankfulls were around 20:1to about 30:1. it smoked like crazy and even stammered a bit until it got going.i ran about a gallon of fuel this way then i leaned out the carb a bit and switched to an irridium plug now it goes like hell. i still try to stick to a mix around 25:1 because zenoah reccomends it. ive had no problems.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:22 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: quarterscalelegends

After you replace your ring, run synthetic.
LOL, I bet a lot of people are replacing their piston rings.

So where in the Zenoah manual does it state that the piston ring should be replaced after break-in???
Old 12-25-2005, 10:25 AM
mymerc68

hello fellow rc'ers and merry x mas. i also feel that i should add, that a break in on an engine is very dependent on the operator's running habits. if you stick to low speed(rpms) and very thourough warm up (if you still have an infared temp gauge from the o'l nitro's you can do it with the ultimate success) you're engine will break in just fine and should live a long life. i do agree, however that a break in period will need to be longer if ya use synthetic from day 1 as i did.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

2 tank break in with regular 2 stroke oil, then switch to synthetic.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:18 PM
DebianDog

Amsoil has such good lubricating properties it will (sometimes) not let the piston rings seat right. Use Dyno oil the first gallon or 2.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:25 PM
quarterscalelegends

ORIGINAL: Croozer

So where in the Zenoah manual does it state that the piston ring should be replaced after break-in???
The manual does not tell you that. Its a manual based on the use of a weedwacker. You can run the engine after break in without replacing the ring... just like how you can drive your REAL car for 6k miles without an oil change.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: Croozer

Why replace the ring after breakin? And why on earth would someone drive over 3000 miles in a real vehicle w/o oil changes?

But from what I have heard, its best to run conventional during the break in period.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:49 PM
mymerc68

the whole idea of synthetic is stability. it is engineered to a molecular level for purity/consistancy. conventional oils are (refined) to the best they can be for the purpose. they do fall short of synthetics in every way but price.i think the real key is how a motor is broken in not as importantly, the oil used. letting the engine go through proper heat/cooling cycles, a proper and consistant mix ratio,and careful,somewhat gentle use in the earliest stages of an engine's life is the true key to an proper break in and if you choose the synthetic road,it will require more patience, but the benefit of longer service life is worth it to me.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:27 AM
Kemo

its what i run in almost anything. My dirtbike, snowmobile, and future buggy dont see anything BUT amsoil.