Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Alloy Chassis Eroding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Creeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alloy Chassis Eroding?

Hi,

Been cleaning out my truck today and noticed that the aluminium chassis has dark patches all over it. Is this a sigh on eroding?

I really don't like the sight of this, should I 1, sand it to make it look clean or 2, should I get a new chassis (if I do would this happen again?)

Has this happened to anyone on here before?

Creepz...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23548.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	375855   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45630.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	375856  
Old 12-26-2005, 01:36 PM
hellya

Default RE: Alloy Chassis Eroding?

that looks like oxidation....... My car gets this from sitting in the elements the paint becomes oxidized (slowly rusts)
Old 12-26-2005, 01:45 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Yep that's the start of corrosion. Best bet is to lightly sand til you remove it then paint it either with a color or just clear coat the cleaned metal. All metal's corrode. Some just take longer than other. Unfortunatly the aluminum alloy's used on these buggies is cheap quality metal. You can't stop corrosion just slow it down. You can also get it powder coated or anodized.

Your chasis is a perfect example of galvanic corrosion. It's oxidizing yes but your grain boundries are cracking, something the naked eye cannot see. Anodizing and powder coating will hide it but not stop it, nothing can stop it. It's caused by disimilar metal's touching and exposure to elements. One stainless steel screw run into the alloy without a sealant protective barrier started corrosion. As I said best solution is painting it. Using high quality paints, automotive laquer sprayed over a primer coat then glossed. What basically happens is the alclad coating is worn off the alloy leaving it exposed and suseptable to corrosion. Oxidation on alloy's IS corrosion even though a 14yo forum member claimed it's a good thing it is not. The alloy's weaked by it and will crack and fail. Like I said before the aerospace industry spends billions of dollars combating corrosion and can really only slow it, nothing stops it. All metals will return to their original form at some point, when that'll happen depends on millions of factors. Composites also corrode, even though most people don't believe they do.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Axis21

Please don't get canadian rc 14 yearold going again,those post cracked me up. He takes bad cheap shots at anyone who will listen. Anyways, hope you find a solution for the rusty frame. I would also like somekind of product to slow this down.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:36 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

so is the chassis aluminum? just use some steel wool too clean it up and use some mothers polish too protect the bottom, there is also another polish called semichrome that works also, if you do not want too use any of those ,you can also use a good quality automotive wax too help it from tarnishing as well, since it is aluminum, those are the cheaper routes,but you can spend the $$$ and get it powder coated.if it were me I would use the polishing methods with the steel wool, I was polishing aluminum motorcyle frame for the past couple yr for people ,and haven't had a complaint yet,trying to get the too let me polish a GT40 valve cover at work as a prototype just too show ford, and they said no way[:@]

if you guys are curious too where I work www.jlfrench.com
Old 12-26-2005, 07:58 PM
badz

Yeah steel wool or sand with like 120 sandpaper then hit it with some automotive laquers topped with clear coats works best...the good thing is the frames aren't bent in any way special using dies or having complex bends ya can easily make one in a hour or so. Only way to slow it down is to coat it to protect the clad coating thats being worn off...paint is best option...anodizing works so does powder coating but nothing will ever totally end it....just something aluminum alloys do and all metals do is corrode.....alodine won't stop it...it just add's the protective barrier back...I guess you could prevent it better by using sealers on every metal to metal part and under the plastics to end disimilar contacts but it won't totally solve the issue...if their was a 100% solution the aerospace industry would be using it, unfortunatly there isn't one...here's a pic of one of mine painted up

Edit found this [link=http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/corrosion/corridx.htm]link[/link] on corrosion control of aluminum alloy....it's pretty decent I'll see about the legality of maybe posting the governmet document we're provide on it....not sure how that'll go but it's close to whats in the above link

Name:	Om34546.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	376038  
Old 12-26-2005, 08:45 PM
ratpower396

take the chassis to a GOOD gun shop & see if they can do process called parkerizing to it.It is a tough finish applied to guns & would look really nice when finished & hold up pretty well..
Old 12-26-2005, 09:42 PM
htawfik3

Yes, I happen to me, I sand the surface very good with steel wool, then I uses Quicksliver primer spray coat which is normally using before painting tails of outboard marine engine, after complete draying .
I sand primer coat using very soft sanding paper to get smooth the surface then I paint it again with normal car paint , I made this 2 years ago and the chassis still in perfect shape.

You can find primer paint in any shop selling or servicing outboard marine engines like Johnson, Mercury , Yamaha ,ect… this primer is essential if you would like to have long lasting coast and protect chassis to a great extend since it fill gaps could be appear after sanding , hold strongly to the aluminum surface and react well with finishing coat .
Old 12-27-2005, 01:44 PM
qaz393

any gunshop in canada?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Creeeper

Thank you everybody for your help.

After many suggestions in this topic I have gone the best route to spray the chassis.

I went out today to get some steel wool as suggested and the results are quite amazing after 10 min of rubbing.

Will do a little more tonight and the crack on with the paint.

Thank you one and all for your help

Creepz....

Name:	If10420.jpg
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	376983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15941.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	376984  
Old 12-28-2005, 09:22 PM
J_D

so shiny we can see you in the reflection :P
Old 12-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Creeeper

I know, great isn't it
Old 01-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Creeeper

Update:

Well it's not great but it will do.

Silver paint topped off with a few coates of lacquer.

Name:	Nk28088.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	383597  
Old 01-08-2006, 06:00 PM
badz

Better than new, looks great
Old 01-08-2006, 06:11 PM
HeatFire

now we know how you look.. image sent to a professional alu-corrision hitman
ill guess my chassi will only get some love from me when it looks like a moon landscape:P

an offtopic question will paint keep the snow from getting stuck on the chassi?
Old 01-08-2006, 06:13 PM
badz

I have one of mine painted...it keeps all the grime off the chassis....not sure about snow i can't run them in the snow here, we don't have any unless I head to the mountains
Old 01-08-2006, 06:19 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

can wee see some pics of your paint job?
Old 01-08-2006, 06:22 PM
MLSTBasher
Banned

That is not aluminum oxide, as aluminum oxide is colourless. If that were oxide, when aluminum is anodized, you wouldnt beable to see the dye underneath, the anodized layer is a layer of aluminum oxide with a dye absorbed into its pores, and then sealed. I know badz will probably try to argue with his bull**** opinions, but he will be wrong. Aluminum forms a tightly adhering surface film of aluminum oxide when exposed to the air. Under most atmospheric conditions, the oxide protects the aluminum from further corrosion. This is why anodizing actually protects the aluminum's surface, because it is a layer of aluminum oxide that has been dyed and then sealed to hold in the dye. Get any sodium chloride on the chassis lately? Sodium chloride (salt) destabilizes the normally protective oxide film, leading the localized attack, or "pitting." The reaction is so strong that a thin-gauge aluminum sheet will show perforation after being immersed in warm salty water for only a short period of exposure. Also, galvanic corrosion does not occur imediatley when 2 dissimilar metals come into contact, it only happens in the presence of an electrolyte (usually water).
Old 01-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Creeeper

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

can wee see some pics of your paint job?
Paint job as in chassis or body shell?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:43 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: MLSTBasher

That is not aluminum oxide, as aluminum oxide is colourless. If that were oxide, when aluminum is anodized, you wouldnt beable to see the dye underneath, the anodized layer is a layer of aluminum oxide with a dye absorbed into its pores, and then sealed. I know badz will probably try to argue with his bull**** opinions, but he will be wrong. Aluminum forms a tightly adhering surface film of aluminum oxide when exposed to the air. Under most atmospheric conditions, the oxide protects the aluminum from further corrosion. This is why anodizing actually protects the aluminum's surface, because it is a layer of aluminum oxide that has been dyed and then sealed to hold in the dye. Get any sodium chloride on the chassis lately? Sodium chloride (salt) destabilizes the normally protective oxide film, leading the localized attack, or "pitting." The reaction is so strong that a thin-gauge aluminum sheet will show perforation after being immersed in warm salty water for only a short period of exposure. Also, galvanic corrosion does not occur imediatley when 2 dissimilar metals come into contact, it only happens in the presence of an electrolyte (usually water).

Dude your banned from here why you keep coming back? Your the fool that keeps making ID's here to constantly harass people. Easy to tell your 13.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:52 AM
badz

Here's a pic of my chassis painted.

Name:	Vt58262.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	384121