Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

hydro problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:31 PM
james555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydro problems

Just purchased a set of magura disc brakes second hand but am having a few problems fitting them

the system

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

offered up the master cylinder but it fouls with the roll cage any sugestions just sits too high
Old 04-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Basher1

Default RE: hydro problems

You need to cut the bit of the roll cage that runs horizontally at the front and mount it slightly higher up to install the brake reservoir. If you look in the FG catalogue they don’t show or advise this but it’s the only way. Make sure you re-install the bar you cut out, you may need to trim it a bit, or the roll cage will have too much lateral flexibility.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:44 PM
caad5

What r/c are you putting the hydro on ?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 PM
crv
My Feedback: (1)

I couldn't help but ask myself the same question! What type of car/truck is it??? How can you just tell someone to cut,raise, and mount higher up, when no where on the original post it states or gives a hint of what kind of vehicle this is!!! Come on, how can you do that???!!! That is a no, no!!!

James555; don't take this wrong, but indeed it does help to specify on your post's what vehicle and model is the one you need help with.. The only way the people here who know what they are talking about, can help you is if you state which one it is...then they can give you an assertive answer!!! You may know the car/truck you own, and maybe
Basher1 might know, cause he knows you, but no one else might.. and I haven't heard of any mind readers here.....

Plus what if he don't know you and your model and you decide to hack away at your ride, when it not even needed??? Hey it helps you and all, if we know just exactly what we're talkin about.. Again I'm not comin down on you, on the contrary, watching out for you!!!![8D]

I'm sure many here will agree.....

Old 04-22-2006, 03:13 AM
caad5

Exactly my thoughts CRV. Besides there is no need to cut any part of the roll cage to fit the hydro brakes. To get the clearance of the master cylinder under the roll cage you shorten the post the master cylinder is mounted to, but we still need to know what car/buggy/truck it is,to be able to say how to exactly fit the hydro setup including what radio tray might be necessary to have everything like receiver box and extra servo mounted correctly as well.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:28 AM
james555

Sorry guys

im trying to fit this to an fg mt
Old 04-22-2006, 05:18 AM
caad5

Ok then I have fitted hydros to a FG MT. You do not need to cut the roll cage just shorten the post the master cylinder sits on so it clears the middle bar and drill the hole on the bottom of the post once you cut it to extend the hole and then re tap the thread. You can use your standard radio tray and where the receiver box is remove that and put in the third servo needed to control the master cylinder. The only down side to using your standard radio tray is that you then have to mount the receiver box in places it doesn't really belong. The proper solution is to get FG Radio Tray Part No 6117. This has the spot for the third servo but it also has mounting holes for the reciever box as well which places it at the back of the radio tray in the middle above the spot for the battery.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:38 PM
james555

how much did you cut of of the post?
Old 04-22-2006, 03:50 PM
hellya

heres a couple of examples......... test fit it then cut it

Your MT will have a hole in the chasis right behind the battery holder, infront of the roll cage's mounting hole. Use that for the mounting of your master cylinder's post after you cut it .... if you need to

The same mounting hole is on the opposite side of the vehicle, if you want to set up the servo plate for just the hydro or front and rear hydros
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58773.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	449518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56934.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	449519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82788.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	449520  
Old 04-22-2006, 07:30 PM
caad5

Hellya thats a nice looking master cylinder, what brand is that?

In regards to using the holes in front of the roll cage that Hellya mentioned, those holes are actually the mounting holes for the Fg Radio Tray 6117 as it is a longer and wider radio tray than the standard one. I don't think you would be able to mount your Magura master cylinder using those holes, even if you decided to use your standard tray, because the Magura has the large oil reservoir tank, that if you mount it in those holes, the reservoir tank would hit your roll cage on the bars the go from the middle of the roll cage to the front shock tower on the MT. If you use the 6117 radio tray, what you need to do is move the petrol tank back 1cm. The reason for this is because when you drill the hole in the chassis for the post of the master cylinder, the master cylinder brake rod, the one that connects to the servo so the servo pulls on it to activate the brake, the brake pivot post must be on the last 1/3 of that rod with the servo arm sitting at 90 degree to the chassis. This is so you get enough servo travel to activate the brake.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:41 PM
caad5

I cut the post of the master cylinder by 1cm.

Here are two pics showing Magura mounted in a MT with roll cage and a side view of front Magura brake for your reference.

http://i3.tinypic.com/w847za.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/w844n7.jpg
Old 04-22-2006, 08:07 PM
hellya

Looks good nice job

The master is from my brand of hydro I sell them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16320.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	449669  
Old 04-22-2006, 08:10 PM
caad5

Thanks Hellya. So what Master Cylinder brand is the one in your pics?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:35 PM
hellya

No brand name to it

http://www.fg-hopups.com/images/brakeslg.jpg

http://www.fg-hopups.com/contact_us.html
Old 04-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Basher1

Hey guys, I didn't mean to steer anyone in the wrong direction here, but assumed James555 had the same problems I had installing hydros into a Marder.

Can anyone advise if I could have got away without cutting the horizontal bar from the rollcage when installing a four servo (two steering), front and rear hydro setup in a Marder?

I worked from a PDF doc, "FG mounting instructions for item No 6840 hydraulic brakes" that shows this bar removed, in a Marder four servo setup.

Cheers.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:41 PM
caad5

Basher 1 - I know the document your talking about and the pics in it are the same pics in the catalog. The Marder and the FG MT is the same setup for the hydros. You need Radio Tray Fg 6117. Like in the pics of your pdf. The pics in the FG Catalogue are good to use as a reference but some of the pics like the hydro brake setup are just done for the photo and are not actually run. So you have to alter it to make it work but still keep everything on. If you look at the pics I posted of my MT thats the same setup you should have for your Marder which is exactly like the pics in the pdf/Fg Catalogue except i did it keeping the middle bar on so as not to weaken the cage. You have to move your tank back 1cm and lower the master cylinder post 1cm to get it all to fit correctly.