Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

MCD Race Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 10:56 AM
bribeguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MCD Race Runner

One lesson learned from painting, though:

Once completed, take a good look at how the body sits on the chassis: Mine has a few points that rub (i.e. on the front corners of the servo tray). I puts to sticky foam on these spots to keep the paint from rubbing off.

Overall, I'm quite happy with how the car looks.

Time for FUN!!!

So into the can goes a 25:1 mix of Maxima Castor 927 and Colemans camp fuel, and off to the great outdoors we go!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:30 AM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

Looks great, i'm waiting for some servos to get mine going.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 PM
bribeguy

Thanx No Moa!

It's first run was yesterday evening in a HUGE construction site. Terrain was everything from sand, to hard packed dirt, to baby-head sized rocks, to 30 foot hills of rock strewn dirt. In other words, large-scale-heaven.

Engine fired up on about it's 6th pull after priming, and ran strong there after.

Initial predictions were that the car would be a bit sluggush to control due to it's weight (this thing is nothing short of being a pig), and that the suspension would be a bit stiff.

Wow, was I ever wrong!

The dual 805 servo's snap the wheel's around like there is no tommorow, and the suspension works so smoothly! Its awsome to drive through a rock bed at 1/4 throttle watching each wheel travel up and down through the suspension stroke.

Accelleration can only be decribed as GREAT, but unfortunately top speed is pretty weak. It's definately not as fast as a stock HPI Baja, which is a bit dissapointing, but nothing that can't be fixed in the way of different gearing or a tuned pipe. I'd say 30mph would be generous to give it as a current max.

Power is crazy with the 26cc engine, and having the 4wd makes this buggy almost unstopable (litterally). It will climb up and over skull size rocks, 12 " walls, and power straight up huge hills of dirt that I wouldn't expect any RC to conquer.

Brakes are strong enough to easily lock up all four wheels, and are, to be quite honest, a bit on the touchy side.

Overall, I'm quite impressed, and am looking forward to taking it out again today!
Old 09-03-2006, 03:02 PM
original.mb

bribeguy

cool custom paint job dude like the flames and skull man
Old 09-03-2006, 03:25 PM
bribeguy

Thanx for the kind words, original.mb, I'm quite happy with the way the paint turned out.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 PM
swatlien

Accelleration can only be decribed as GREAT, but unfortunately top speed is pretty weak. It's definately not as fast as a stock HPI Baja, which is a bit dissapointing, but nothing that can't be fixed in the way of different gearing or a tuned pipe. I'd say 30mph would be generous to give it as a current max.
I agree, top speed sucks with the stock gearing but if you run a 30/33 ratio you will be eating HPI Baja's for lunch; I promise!!!! I have the 30.5cc motor in mine but I think you should get the same top speed if not more with that set up in yours. Your 26cc should be a little more rev happy at the top than mine. The stock gear ratio is a joke... it must be for mountain climbing monster trucks???? It's definatley not for track use.

The 30.5cc really puts the power down in an extreme way... My MCD has been dominanting everything at the track, they will only allow me to race my MCD against their 1/8 buggies.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:22 AM
bribeguy

Oddly enough, I've found that now that I have a few tanks through it, the car seems to be a bit faster. It's still no rocket, but it's probably equal to a stock Baja 5B.

Which of the 4 gears are you swapping with the 30/33 gears swatlien? How does it effect the accelleration & turque?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:13 AM
boro250202

Hello everyone,

i have been reading the topics on the mcd cars with very high interest and i must say i am happy not to be the only one who thinks these cars are super. I have A Race Runner for a few months now and it goes like hell without having to much of breaking parts. For the moment i am building myself an MCD rally car and i have sold my FG Leopard.
If you want spare parts there are a few stores in germany that will send them worldwide and they have all parts in store.
My favorite is this one:

http://www.mogatech.de/modellbau_info/
He answers all your mails and will help you in any way he can.

If you guys are interested in the different gear ratio's you might take a look at this site, it is in german but these guys live for there cars and will help you in any way they can on there forum. There are lots of interesting things you can read on there, for example how to improve your MCD's and make it more bulletproof.

http://www.rc-xtreme.de/mcd/knowhow/...bersetzung.xls

All you have to do is to put in the wheel diameter your driving and it gives you the speed that can be accomplished theoretical.
Do not be to excited and change your gearings to a higher gearing cause your engine clutch bell will overheat if the gearing is to high.

Hope this helps you guys a bit further.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 AM
swatlien

Swap out the stock 39/24 gear gear ratio, they sit on top of a 25/24 ratio. my current set up is 30/33 on top of 24/25. Try it out and let me know what happens. troy at large scale helped me.... He might be able to help you too. There are at least 12 different combos... My car is a rocket with this set up!!!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:40 AM
swatlien

This is actually a picture of your gears, it will help me illustrate. I circled your 24/39 gears, replace those with a 30/33 ratio. My car is doing at least 45 to 50mph with this set up. I'm running with juiced up 1/8 scale buggies. I think my HPI is just as fast but the acceralation of my MCD gives it a huge advantage, it reaches its top speed a lot quicker.

I've got a 27/36 gear combo coming along with a jet pro pipe. I should get it today. I can't wait to test it out. I should be able reach at least 55 to 60mph with that set up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20241.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	519888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96612.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	519889  
Old 09-06-2006, 05:02 PM
bribeguy

Thanx for the info.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:14 AM
zap713

How’s the MCD, still running strong? Breaking anything? Are you going to post some video soon?
The Jet pro pipe is out for these now and will help with the top speed. Troy has them at www.largescalerc.com and is well worth it. If you gear up the added 1.5 hp and the extra torque will solve all performance hits.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:32 AM
bribeguy

The MCD is working AWSOME still. I've run about a gallon of fuel through it so far and it only keeps getting better!

The only damage so far has been a dent in the front bummer, thanx to a baby-head sized rock jumping up in front th car! LOL. Not that it matters, since it's purely an esthetic issue.

Other then that, no breakages at all.

I am however a little dissappointed with the tires. After the 3rd run, they started to show pretty severe wear around the treads, and by the 4th drive, they were splitting and having chunks torn out. I realize I have been driving very aggressively, but I didn't think dirt, gravel, and grass would do that to a set of tires. I'll try and post some pictures latter.

I think I'm taking it out tommorow too, so I'll see what I can do about some video.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:22 AM
bribeguy

Well, it rained all night.

Looks like there will be no driving and video today.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:32 AM
No Moa

my biggest problam with my race runner, is assembly, Y o Y don't they give DIRECTIONS!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:50 AM
bribeguy

I know!

You'd think for the price, you'd at least get an exploded view or parts listing! LOL.

Not a good car to start with unless you have some experiance, and are comfortable with blind dissasembly and tinkering.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:54 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The starter pawl on an FG Monster Beetle is plastic and needs to be replaced almost immediately (mine had to be, anyway). Is there a similar part on the MCD that might be considered a weak point? []

Jason
Old 10-06-2006, 10:45 PM
bribeguy

I haven't found any weaknesses yet!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:38 AM
No Moa

ORIGINAL: icecreamslick

The starter pawl on an FG Monster Beetle is plastic and needs to be replaced almost immediately (mine had to be, anyway). Is there a similar part on the MCD that might be considered a weak point? []

Jason
I have used my FG many times, and have never replaced the pawl!! Although now that i say that, i'm screwed!!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:00 AM
icecreamslick

I have used my FG many times, and have never replaced the pawl!! Although now that i say that, i'm screwed!!!!
Yep, you're screwed.

I know that you have had your MT for years, so I can't believe it is still holding up! Mine almost disintegrated, it was in so many pieces.

I said FG, but of course it is actually the Zenoah motor that has the weakness, so it may depend on which motor a person chooses for the MCD........you have the 260cc, don't you bribeguy? You might keep an eye on the pawl, anyway. You'll know when it goes because you will not be able to pull the starter coil. Mine may have been under undue stress from all of the fine dirt where I drove getting into the recoil parts, but at the time it seemed like a popular problem.

The only reason I even asked was because I noticed that one of the metal, aftermarket pawls is made for the Baja, too. I had been researching the Baja, until I saw the MCD. [sm=thumbup.gif] I don't want another vehicle that is not 4WD! [sm=pirate.gif] ...........just have to get my duckies in a row.

Jason
Old 10-07-2006, 08:35 PM
UK Will

Get your duckies in a row? that's an interesting expression!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:02 PM
jeepfreak1972

Will FG wheels fit this car or can you put FG square drives on it so you can use fg wheels?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:23 PM
UK Will

I believe the newer ones are interchangeable with FG ones, but the older ones used hex drives, KCR make wheels/tyres that can be used on FG's or MCD's so I assume they must be inerchangeable...
Old 10-08-2006, 12:04 AM
icecreamslick

Get your duckies in a row? that's an interesting expression!

The shape of bowling pins were once compared to ducks, so before a frame could be bowled a person had to get their ducks in a row. Duckies is a slang term for dollars. If you have your duckies in a row, it means you have your money ready.

..............I guess it is a combination of two obscure, American sayings. Hell, according to my wife I'm just weird. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Jason
Old 10-08-2006, 02:37 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

I been thinking to get one...but price is just [:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.