Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

1/5 FireHammer MT VS 1/8 Monster GT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/5 FireHammer MT VS 1/8 Monster GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:14 PM
kenneth012180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 FireHammer MT VS 1/8 Monster GT

which is cheaper in the long run?i know that the firehammer is way expensive rtr but the gasoline is way cheaper than nitro. so i want to know is which will be a good investment in the long run.i have small track in my house so im sure im going to play everyday.i dont care about hop up and durability coz im not going to bash it hard.just want to know where can i save money.
thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 PM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/5 FireHammer MT VS 1/8 Monster GT

Nothing is really "cheap". I have had nitros, electric and gas. It all depends on what you want to do. I have a Losi Aftershock right now. I love it. I have a Duratrax Firehammer MT, I love that one too. I've upgraded the pipe, linkage, and shocks on the Aftershock. I've upgraded the pinion, pipe, and diff housing on the FHMT. No matter what, you'll break a part, gears, arms, servos, etc. It's inevitable unless you are driving in a room full of fluffy pillows.

I love the gas though. It's awesome. The sound of it, especially when you get a tuned pipe is unbelievable. The speed is awesome.

You can get a good deal on a Firehammer clone. Check out TQRCRacing, or Smartech.

Also check out the HPI Baja 5b. I want this one next. Sweet buggy, rugged, and great parts availability. Parts availability is important. You don't want your ride shelved for weeks waiting for a part.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:11 AM
woody-343

csp1971, what did you do for gears? I called largescale rc and they said I couldn't use anything but the stock gearing because there is no movement to adust for the gears like there is on an 1/8th or 1/10th scale. My fhmt is running 19/48, and I haven't found metal gears for it. Suggestions?
Old 06-16-2007, 04:23 PM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

if your looking for a cheap hobby, buy a kite, all rc no matter what model comes out to a hole in the wallet.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:19 PM
csp1971

Woody:

I purchased my gears from a place in Germany called Hobbythek (I'll PM you the link). I paid quite a bit for it, but it was worth it. The shipping is absolutely outrageous ($40 to get a pinion and a large alloy mount shipped to me). It's all nice quality stuff though. Get as much as you can if you order from them...I would also order an alloy diff housing. Worth the money, I broke mine and wasn't really running it all that hard. I think I may have had a dogbone that was "stuck" (long story but it isn't any longer).

TQRCRacing is also supposed to be getting in steel pinions from what I understand. We'll see soon hopefully!

csp

Old 06-16-2007, 09:09 PM
warriorking

ORIGINAL: BuggZy99

if your looking for a cheap hobby, buy a kite, all rc no matter what model comes out to a hole in the wallet.

Hehe.........you got it Buggzy99, Or maybe those things the kids use to blow bubbles, but then again you have to buy soap lol
Old 06-16-2007, 10:10 PM
csp1971

Actually warriorking, those bubble things come with the soap (RTB, ready to blow).