Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG guys, q's for you.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:42 PM
PBJT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG guys, q's for you.

I have had my FG MT for a month or so and 7 tanks of fuel. I use it in construction sites and fields. Now I do drive it rather spirited and expect breakage. But I am now on my 4th large diff gear FG6048/2 and have pulled the plastic threads out of one frt upright/knuckle/spindle. I do know there is alloy frt uprights available, but I am going to put a threaded insert in it and see how it holds up. But my questions are...

...is there a better rear diff gear/lay gear (fg6048/2)I believe people call it. I did a search and did not come up with a retailer on a indestructable one? Here is a re inforced gear available...how does it hold up? and is it normal to chip a tooth off this gear?

Thanks for reading and prolly putting up with a question on the most frequently asked fg problem..??

PBJT
Old 07-03-2007, 02:54 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: FG guys, q's for you.

Is your gear mesh between layshaft and diff ring gear going out causing the gear to get eaten? If so you should get at least the small alloy engine mount ($25 USD) and consider the large alloy engine mount. These alloy you to crank down the screws tighter and use blue thread lock. It will hold the engine better and the mesh tighter. I have the FG small mount on my Duratrax Firehammer and it stopped all my engine movement (for a year now).

I also bought HobbyThek 'Extreme Duty' gears. These gears are incredible. Definitely heavier than stock and the teeth are regraded to allow for sloppier mesh. These gears are not cheap and shipping from Germany will be $40 USD.

The gears are on this page - just scroll down a little bit when you use this link:
http://www.rc-car-online.de/ritzel_eng.htm#fine

If you do the alloy engine mounts and one last stock FG diff ring gear (assuming bad mesh is your problem) you will probably be good. The engine mounts will keep the mesh from drifting so the gear can do its job with less stress.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:04 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

If you ring gear keeps going you can have one of the following issues:

1) layshaft is bent
2) engine mounts are loose (as ken said)
3) wrong gear is on the layshaft, was this changed when you got it?

Those ring gears are tough, especially the heavy duty one you have on there. You may want to check your bearings on the diff. If they are starting to go, it could cause your diff to move jamming up the gears.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:03 PM
mxzrev

yes you can get metal uprights,i had the same thing happen to my fg truck....they are a bit expensive,over a 100.00 bucks....check largescalerc.com....they have everything for the fg trucks...hope this helps,bob
Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 PM
PBJT

First off, thanks for the advise, I will get rid of the plastic engine mounts soon and re access the problem.

I took the stock plastic uprights off. They come originally using a 5mm .8 bolt threaded into the plastic upright and then into a metal collar near the center of the upright. As it turns out the stock bolts when using the stock washers do not quite reach the metal collar and can then pull out the plastic threads. So I did drill out and re tap the one upright and use an 8mm 1.25 insert with the the origninal 5mm .8 inner threads, left out the washer between the lower control arm and the upright so now the bolt went through the new insert and started to thread into the collar like it should. On the other side I just left the washer out aswell so the bolt could reach the metal collar. If you really clamp down on the bolt you can tighten it too tight and the axle stub/wheel will not turn well.

Next. I noticed my steering linkage is on a nasty angle from the servo saver to down below the arm on the uprights....this causes huge unwanted bump steer and a large linkage angle. So I bolted the steering linkage on top of the upright steering arm and now the steering linkage is basically parrallel with the control arms. My question is....was mine put together wrong with the horible downward angle from the steering servo saver to the upright or am I missing something?

Again, sorry if this is all old FG info.

I went through another full tank of fuel tonight, now up to 8 tanks in total. No breakage tonight but did another good tumble

PBJT