Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Can't believe the price of upgrades for 1/5 scales!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Can't believe the price of upgrades for 1/5 scales!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 AM
phatjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't believe the price of upgrades for 1/5 scales!!

Hello:

I'm new to this forum, and I've posted a few questions regarding the firehammer, FG, etc. I decided to look into the cost of the upgrades....damn it's expensive! [&o]

Ebay has jetpro tuned pipe exhaust going for $189+. An upgraded exhaust for my Toyota FJ Cruiser was running around $200-250. The cold air intake cost me $200 shipped. That's for a REAL life size car. I don't know about you guys, but I was shocked at the cost of the aluminum upgrades...

Just like any hobby...it empties your wallet...

Old 07-04-2007, 08:56 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Can't believe the price of upgrades for 1/5 scales!!

Try going here to get the jet pro

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/
Old 07-04-2007, 09:39 AM
wyd

ORIGINAL: phatjoe

Hello:

I'm new to this forum, and I've posted a few questions regarding the firehammer, FG, etc. I decided to look into the cost of the upgrades....damn it's expensive! [&o]

Ebay has jetpro tuned pipe exhaust going for $189+. An upgraded exhaust for my Toyota FJ Cruiser was running around $200-250. The cold air intake cost me $200 shipped. That's for a REAL life size car. I don't know about you guys, but I was shocked at the cost of the aluminum upgrades...

I have noticed the same thing about pricing but I'm kinda use to it since I run touring cars and racing them is very expensive. The FireHammer is pretty fun. I just put a JetPro on my car and it really improves overall performance everywhere from low end to high. It really shines when the motors gets on the pipe at mid range to high as it really pulls hard. Low end comes on about twice as fast as stock. I have no other mods other than the pipe and some shock covers and pull start cover.

I think you will really like the pipe over stock thats for sure. It is like having a new car.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:41 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: wyd

Hello:

I have noticed the same thing about pricing but I'm kinda use to it since I run touring cars and racing them is very expensive. The FireHammer is pretty fun. I just put a JetPro on my car and it really improves overall performance everywhere from low end to high. It really shines when the motors gets on the pipe at mid range to high as it really pulls hard. Low end comes on about twice as fast as stock. I have no other mods other than the pipe and some shock covers and pull start cover.

I think you will really like the pipe over stock thats for sure. It is like having a new car.
almost like a turbo....lol
Old 07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
wyd

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

ORIGINAL: wyd

Hello:

almost like a turbo....lol
I agree with you 100% Great hopup for the car.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 AM
T I G

A pipe is the most noticeable bolt on mod out there.
It really is alike a turbo
Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 AM
killermolly
My Feedback: (25)

Hello:

you think that is bad look at a pipe for a 1/5 scale on road car. 2006 Samba F1G, Titanium Ref: S2270Ti
http://molzermoweryracing.com/acatalog/Samba_Pipes.html
Old 07-04-2007, 01:18 PM
TheFgMan01

Geeesh 1,000 !! titanium is expensive though. provally about 4 people on this planet has that pipe. i'd do it if i were "bill gates" loaded though
Old 07-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Nick2618

Thats why i decided not to go large scale. The price is just to much... [:@][] For the price of some the upgrades/replacment parts i can get a whole new nitro car/truck.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:40 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: nick2618

Thats why i decided not to go large scale. The price is just to much... [:@][] For the price of some the upgrades/replacment parts i can get a whole new nitro car/truck.
Have you ever driven a large scale?
Nitro is nice but no comparison to the gassers.
As for price, Hop ups for both are $$$
But the gassers are way more woth the cost..
Old 07-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Pyrotechnic

Thats why i decided not to go large scale. The price is just to much... For the price of some the upgrades/replacment parts i can get a whole new nitro car/truck.
haha. last i checked its about $30 for nitro and atleast $150 for engines that last an AVERAGE of 5-6 gallons. in the long run i believe gassers are cheaper, but they are pretty expensive to start out with. as for the price of parts, smaller scales are usually cheaper and the larger you go the more expensive they get.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:08 PM
T I G

Originally Posted by nick2816
Thats why i decided not to go large scale. The price is just to much... For the price of some the upgrades/replacment parts i can get a whole new nitro car/truck.
The aftermarket for Nitro and gas are both very expensive. Stock for stock replacement parts, they are both compatible. In the long run you're going to spend more running your nitro than I will running my gassers.

I'm with Team, "the gassers are way more worth the cost.."
Old 07-04-2007, 07:28 PM
teamchrome

I paid $200 for nitro motors and $100 for a tuned pipe, if not more.
Dont even talk about 30 percent fuel costs

For the same price range I have the same in a gasser.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:45 PM
TheFgMan01

my rb .28 engine in my nitro buggy cost about $350 .. just over the price of a stock 26cc zenoah = 299.00 at davesmotors
Old 07-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Baja5BLST

150 for a nitro engine? I wish.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 PM
wyd

We have guys at the shop I help out at that spend well over 400 bucks for a modded .21 race motor and over 300 or more for .12 motors that guys use to race dirt oval in are area. The amount of money people have in nitro sprints is my area are over what I paid for my Firehammer.

The two main kits are the Custom Works sprint and BMS sprint and both are 500 plus for just the car. Add 350 to 400 for a race motor and its over what I paid for a new Firehammer.[X(]
Old 07-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Pyrotechnic

150 for a nitro engine? I wish.
im not talking about a fully modded engine. and axail .28 goes for about $110 and the .32 goes for $170.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:34 AM
teamchrome

Check DDM.
A stock CY 23cc is under $150 and a CY 27cc is about $180
Its all about what one can afford and desire.
There are some really bad arse nitro engines but ill stay with the reliable gas, never fail, run for an hour, and starts every time any time.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:02 AM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

i can. the manufacturers know that people who buy those 1/5 scales have even deeper pockets ($12-1500 kit verse 4-500 for a nitro). im sure if a couple of manufacturers could get away with selling a 1/10th scale pipe for a cool couple of hundred and get away with it they would. i know it doesnt cost that much to make one of those pipes and some looked as if they were made in someones basement. the more people are willing spend the more the price goes up. thats why everything is wayyyyy over priced. ive thought about going to 1/5th scale myself but there doesnt seem to be any performance is the gassers. think ill wait til the scale V-8 gassers are a little cheaper. sound better to.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Another overlooked benefit for gassers is the ability to let them 'sit up' for a few months with fuel in the tank with little-to-no problems. I haven't been able to run my Firehammer regularly for over 6 months. I pull it out of my trunk and it cranks right up in 4 - 5 pulls.

Very few 'old fuel' problems with gassers.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:04 PM
TheFgMan01

I dont hate the nitro scene, i just got tired of carriring everything..*crap i forgot my glow ignitor* or *darn it needs to be charged* and i was stuck with out a running car. let alone ripping out 40 dollar pull starts for my RB concept .28 on my ofna mbx pro constantly [:@]... The roto start was no better, more to carry around and the 6 cell battery died unexpectingly. So i got into the Marder which was my first big guy and now i only need to carry the car and the radio, no screw drivers because tuning is done once and good to go unless you upgrade to a pipe. My opinion a nitro can cost just as much but is more of a pain. both gets my blood rushing but i dont miss nitro.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:06 PM
PAPE

I run both and I think with nitro you buy more stuff for it plugs fuel starter ect... but when I want to do a simple upgrade to my gassers its a huge amount of money even the factory stuff is over priced just look at a set of tires over 100 dollars difrence. gasser are easy to star but a pain in the ass to transport.

in the end From my experiance 1/5 scale is more expensive even in the long run am sure about this
Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 PM
T I G

jkdv8,
you dont know what youre talking about.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:40 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

Here is a comparison to look at:

MUGEN MX-4 FG SPORTLINE
INITAL OUTLAY
KIT PRICE $540.00 nitrohouse $750.00
ENGINE $180.00 PICCO .12 JRL INCLUDED
BODY $ 20.00 $125 AVERAGE WITH KIT
RADIO GEAR SAME FOR BOTH VEHICLES
PIPE $ 50.00 85.00
STARTER BOX $ 40.00 NOT NEEDED
GLOW IGNITOR $ 20.00 NOT NEEDED
GALLON OF FUEL $ 35.00 $3.00

TOTAL INITIAL OUTLAY $ 885.00 $963.00

DIFFERENCE $78.00

The initial outlay is not a big difference. parts depend on the brand nad what you want rather than what you need. I have been out of small scale to see the prices on those parts or even what is available.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:55 PM
reddog6625

nitroooo?????? gasser???????

so why is nitro so much cheaper and why is gas so expensive??????????

well im not in the hobby too long, maybe two years. Started off with a nitro thunder tiger s**t hated that car till the last bone, than bought
a hpi (wich is a good manufacturer) hated that as well.
too much hassle, changin weather conditions cause changing the low turn tuning all the time (got sick of it).
now bought a gasser and only once i tuned the car out newer again touched the screws
for me nitro 0
gasser 1

fuel
ntiro............: usually model shops are not open on sundays so when you run out of nitro fuel you hawe to wait till monday. 0
gas..............: gas station open 24/7 .................................................. .................................................. ........................ 1
(as been told nitro fuel costs much more)

durability

try to run a nitro in to a wall and the engine flyes off the base plate bends (hpi just brakes in to two pieces) and other stuff. repair costed 120 pounds (240 dollars).......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ............ 0
fg mt did the same. yes broke couple of parts nothing majour repair costed 40 pounds (80 dollars).......................................... ..........1

speeed, acceleration.

nitro 1
gas 0

ignition

glow plugs goo quite quick...........................................0
spark plug 1 year old mt newer changed sice i got it......1

size

somebody likes it small nitro 1
somebody likes it big gas 1
(as been sad here before "gas is to big to carry around". how many of you carry it to the field because i put it in to a car, and gooo that way)

so my opinion why is nitro cheaper?? you need to change parts more times need more parts as well, so they make it cheaper (because they produce more parts) because they know you will hawe to change it more times (but they do not make it so much cheaper, just a bit cheaper)

do not give me wrong rc is good fun thats the reason why it is still around. some people prefer nitro some gassers. got couple of frineds who got nitro and they love it newer would change to gas. i did because i know gas engines well and i can run it for about 45 minutes (smoke less cigs as well by the mean time )
it is the same argument as ferrari or porsche, mcd or fg, 4x4 or two wheel driwe. the only thing that counts is it if you like it or not
and if you hawe fun or not

i did not had fun with nitro (and hawe mi points why) and thats the reason i switched to a gasser.
rc is fun and it is allways will be..........................and so on and so on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.