Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Thinking of getting into 1/5 scale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Thinking of getting into 1/5 scale

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:09 AM
ahibo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting into 1/5 scale

Hello! I am thinking of joining your league. I would like to know what are pros and cons of 1/5 scale? Also, I am thinking of getting a MCD Monster Truck. Is this a good truck to bash around with? Thanks!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 AM
savvyx

Default RE: Thinking of getting into 1/5 scale

Glad to see someone else wanting to get into 1/5 scale. If you are use to Nitro once you switch to gas you might as well sell your Nitro . I am not sure about the MCD's I have never had 1 but they look nice I cant get parts for them around here. I run the FG models and love them I am currently selling 1 of mine on RCU if you want to check it out. It is highly modified with a Oneill Brothers 30.5cc big bore motor with reed valve kit it is the biggest engine available for the 1/5 scale gas vehicles. If interested let me know and I will send you more pics it has only 3 tanks on it since I built it.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty new to all this myself, I got an FG Monster truck and a Baja 5b for my gassing pleasure. I was previously heavily into nitro (I still race nitro on road sometimes), but decided to go to gassers because of ease of use and running, cheap fuel, low maintenance, no tuning or break in to speak of... Basically I got sick of charging rotostarts and starter box batteries, and glow ignitors, and rx batts, and tx batts, and engine tuning, and break ins, and all that hassle you get with nitro (not to mention a model COVERED in exhaust residue to clean), so I went for pullstart activated, gas and go, tuning free, break in free (almost), petrol powered big scale mayhem!

Disadvantages...large scale cars are a bit more fragile than their smaller nitro counterparts, unfrotunately, more weight automatically equals more breakage. Parts are more expensive (but gas engines are cheaper than nitro engines) and can be difficult to find sometimes. I would also put 2wd as a disadvantage, but the MCD is 4wd, so no worries there, most other models are 2wd.

MCD looks like a nice car I must say.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:05 PM
ahibo

Thank you everyone for your input. Foxy42, I do feel the same way. I am getting sick of nitro dealing with roto start, glow plug, etc...

If you guys don't mind, I have a two more questions.

Do the engine use the same oil that you can find in Home Depot for gas trimmers?

What are the known brands (kit, engine, etc...) for 1/5 scale?

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 PM
TheFgMan01

The two most popular engine brands is Zenoah and Chung Yang, Zenoah being the better engine out there.
For oil yes you can use a home depot brand but your better of going to a motor cycle shop for good oil like klotz or even amsoil. these oils are made to protect at such huigh rpms those home depot oils wont. Weed eaters dont produce nearly as high rpms ars these r/c 2-stroke do so keep that in mind when choosing your oil.. Personally i use Zenoah 2 stroke oil and it's synthetic, great stuff!!! but there will be alot of people to give you different opinions on which to use so basically it's up to you.

When you get your first big boy your going to love it!! be prepaired to sell your nitros or never use them again
Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Bratch96

1/5 scale, pro, they're awesome you'll love them, con, 25 to 35 pounds moving at 35 to 45 mph can be dangerous, especially to children and pets.

I would put my FG MT up against anyone's nitro in a demolation derby anyday. I have been using the black bottle of Poulan synthetic 2 stroke oil from the world's most popular department store for about a year now, I can't see that's it's done any harm. That being said, I won't recommend it, better stick to some high dollar oil.

pro, long run times, con, getting bored with it before you use a whole tank. pro, a 3000 mah battary can last for 4 tanks of gas, con, your wife may think you love your truck more than her.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:44 PM
BadboyHobbies
Banned

Hey good luck with the switch!
You will never look at the hobby the same after the switch.

Largescale RC is where it's at.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Dave ESPI

Switch to largescale and gas, then never look back.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:57 AM
TooSlow2Care

grrrrr I'm Sold. MCD Rally awd for me. been wrestling with it for a while now... heh heh x-mas is coming and boy is my girl gonna be pissed when she finds out i got a new toy for this holliday season.

i'll be taking the plunge this winter. do you guys recommend getting an engine like the 29cc stroker or should i stick with a 23cc IFMAR (i think) legal engine for racing?

Brian
Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Dave ESPI

ORIGINAL: TooSlow2Care

grrrrr I'm Sold. MCD Rally awd for me. been wrestling with it for a while now... heh heh x-mas is coming and boy is my girl gonna be pissed when she finds out i got a new toy for this holliday season.

i'll be taking the plunge this winter. do you guys recommend getting an engine like the 29cc stroker or should i stick with a 23cc IFMAR (i think) legal engine for racing?

Brian
DO NOT FORGET TO BUTTER HER UP WITH SOMETHING ALSO ! getting yourself a thousaind dollar toy and her a pair of slippers and a "missletoe kiss" won't fly man......[X(] you need to have some trinkets or Bling bracelet or watch (you can get one for around 200.00 that is nice still) to keep her happy. You can't make love with your DDM Dominator pipe nomatter how "sexy" it is..... the girl must also be loved , just don't tell her you spend four times teh ammount on it than her, and be sure to "sell" your other toys to finance it

Stick with a stock motor. You can always upgrade later
Old 11-06-2007, 01:31 PM
vtl1180ny

Brian

23cc is for the Cars, I don't think there's a limit on the trucks/buggies yet...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Osirisf16

do you guys recommend getting an engine like the 29cc stroker or should i stick with a 23cc IFMAR (i think) legal engine for racing?

Brian

What do you mean by legal and what racing. In that scale there isn't any championship (i think ) yet. Is just for bashing. Just enjoy the modifications you are goin to do (because you ARE GOIN to do this, trust me). Bash it hard. Don't be afraid of anything.[>:]