Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja SS Shocking Shortcoming

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:19 PM
K-Spindle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja SS Shocking Shortcoming

NOTE to all you companies that make parts for the Baja the Baja SS 6mm Shock Shaft with the pressed on plastic end is a very good place to make a new shock shaft that the end user can change the plastic end! This weekend racing the new buggy that shortcoming was discovered this minor thing took a few people out.
But this is what racing does for you is focuses on parts that can take you out of a days race.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Yamadude

Default RE: Baja SS Shocking Shortcoming

Last I heard phatdads all were already not sure about the RC4WD ones but the rest already are.Nothing new here that the bashers haven't figured out already.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 PM
K-Spindle

LOL then why did all the bashers who showed up not have any?

Never the less its a part that needs to be updated out of the box.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 PM
brice_arnold
My Feedback: (6)

Who knows why they didn't have them. Why don't you ask them yourself. Better yet, take it up with HPI as they may be covered under warranty. Incidentally the plastic ends are not press fit they are molded on. This is directly from HPI. The PhatDad shock shafts have been out for a couple months for he RTR baja and the RC4WD shocks. They will be available, if not already, within a week from DDM for the SS. The SS shock shafts are obviously crap. I have seen some builds where the threaded portion where the piston is has fractured/sheared off. This happened from trying to remove the nut not installing the nut. The shaft material looked pretty bad.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:23 PM
FastEddy
My Feedback: (1)

If the PhatDads for the SS are anything like the shafts for the RTR whey will be a racers dream.

Darksoul has a set of shocks that will be a welcome addition to the lineup as well.
We spent an entire day trying to bend them doing nose dives off a 4 foot jump and they held up great.
Hopefully they will be out soon.

The stock shafts have been a week spot from day one and there are several products out there for them now and several more on the way.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 PM
vertigo performance

Hey Brice? those your shocks? how did you break all the ends off?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 PM
brice_arnold

Nope this is a photo from another forum. This member had built his shocks. Didn't like the feel of the 5wt oil so went to disassemble them. Upon trying to remove the nut with almost no torque this is what happened to all four shocks. Unfortunately for the member HPI will not have replacement parts til Jan.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:04 PM
vertigo performance

That isn't sounding too good now. Maybe it is a good idea I delayed purchasing the SS after all.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:09 PM
K-Spindle

Press fit molded on what ever they are a one shot deal that is not up to bashing or racing for now plus no factory parts in stock.

Who has the upgrades in stock?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:19 PM
FastEddy

So far its the only report that I have seen of this issue of braking the threads on the shaft.
Many cases of the Diff housing being damaged have been reported.
I also heard that the entire first 2 shipments of SS are already out of the hands of HPI and into the stores.
Hopefully they have time to correct a few packaging issues and the shafts before the next batch ships out.
lets keep out fingers crossed.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:07 PM
brice_arnold

This is true Eddy.

I believe DDM will be selling the upgraded shock shafts
Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Dave ESPI

PRESSED SHAFT ENDS.

K-Spindle, this was something I was goiong to adress when I was done with my build in a Likes/Gripes wrap up at teh end of it. I like the fact they came on the shaft from the factory as it's always a scary thing having to hold onto a shaft and worry about scratching them up with a wrench or plyers while screwing the heads on them...... but I agree that the design and metal used for them felt and sounded a bit "chintz" even though they are "beefier" than the stock RTR ones. For just all around running, they should be "OK".... I forsee myself destroying them with how I drive.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:17 AM
FastEddy

ORIGINAL: Dave ESPI
it's always a scary thing having to hold onto a shaft and worry about scratching them up with a wrench or plyers while screwing the heads on them......
Invest in a pair of shock pliers. I believe that Racers Edge has some. The set I have is made by an independent guy I met at the very first RCX show. They are made of a material that is softer then the shock shafts (One would hope) and have a V groove in them to hold the round shaft. They are worth their weight in gold to have around.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 AM
hathi
Banned

Is there anyone else making upgraded shafts? Does anyone know if rc-edit will step aboard?
I've seen those other ones and the price tag just scares me away.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:55 AM
phatdad

ORIGINAL: hathi

Is there anyone else making upgraded shafts? Does anyone know if rc-edit will step aboard?
I've seen those other ones and the price tag just scares me away.
Well to date that I no of I'm the only one making replacement shafts for the HPI Baja and rc4wd. If you would like I could shot you a pm and explain manufacturing,packaging,shipping and I'm sure I could add a few more. Oh dont forget my SS shafts and rc4wd shafts have a lifetime replacement warranty with no questions asked. And then its always nice to make a little profit.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 AM
phatdad

ORIGINAL: K-Spindle

NOTE to all you companies that make parts for the Baja the Baja SS 6mm Shock Shaft with the pressed on plastic end is a very good place to make a new shock shaft that the end user can change the plastic end! This weekend racing the new buggy that shortcoming was discovered this minor thing took a few people out.
But this is what racing does for you is focuses on parts that can take you out of a days race.
SS replacement shafts are finished and I will be shipping to distributers on 12/21. SS replacement shafts will have a lifetime warrant. Last shafts you will ever buy for your SS. I stand buy all my parts and do my best to keep the cost down. Race hard and have fun.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 AM
fourwheeler

If Phatdad is making shock shafts for the SS you can bet they will be great. I just got a set for my Baja RTR and they look the business. You don't hear of anyone saying they bent the Phatshafts.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM
K-Spindle

Cool! There is a race and have fun event this Saturday at SV
Bruce Slawson owner of 2 wheel Hobbies needs some he was one of the drivers who was short shafted last weekend at the Toys for Tots Race.

Can you PM me I want to buy set to have on hand in case a racer at this weeks race at SV has the same issue.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 AM
R.Robinson
Banned

ORIGINAL: K-Spindle

You get what you pay for. Quality does come with a price. But you chose to buy cheap. That's what these type of rc are cheap[] RTR.